Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1261 - 1264 of 1264 Posts

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,261
I've not posted much thanks to Christmas but I have been pottering about in the man cave.

The home made veneers were reasonable colour with a solvent clear gloss but too shiny and a bit plastic looking so I went again with a satin matte water based. It doesn't bring out the depth of natural colour in the wood so much, leaving it a little pale and I've now given it quite a few coats. It might have to do at least for now.

With some assistance this time from Adrian I was able to re-attach the roof gutter trim which runs from the base of the windscreen along to the bottom of the C pillar and hooks in under the roof. It's a bit of a 'mare to do and definitely needs two pairs of hands to avoid scratches. It still resulted in a couple of chips clipping it on. The other trim went over the bottom of the rear window aperture with a new seal.

This weekend I put new rubber gaskets in the rear side window, which is a pain. If you see in the photo the outside "button" pin is secured to the hinge through the glass and held in place with an E clip which is almost impossible to feed under the clamping part of the hinge. It took ages on the other side but I simply couldn't press hard enough and manipulate the clip. After a good 90 minutes I got desperate enough to try a different tack. I drifted the roll pin out of the clamp to separate it from the base. I then carefully held the two sides (and the glass) in my vice and just nipped it enough to expose the groove and insert the E clip. Roll pin tapped back in it was done in no more than 10 minutes!

So the glass went in and the tricky B pillar trims are back on.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Jim - you're making some great progress there. Just read through recent posts, all looking very tidy - brought back memories of when I did my dashboard some years back, hell of a job... I must get on with my car, haven't really touched it in an age, work etc getting in the way. But I have just bought a section of the neighbours barn that it lives in - as soon as the renovations on the building are done, I will be able to access the car from my home, so hopefully things will speed up..

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,263
Rear parcel shelf and both interior rear quarter panels in after covering the ashtray fronts with some leftover leather.
I was sorely tempted to put the back seat in as well, and I may still do so shortly but I was worried I might catch the leather doing these other jobs and when I remove the dash again to fit the veneer fillets.
Glued down the carpet over the driver's sill as I had done with the other side a while ago. It's just neater. I also took the opportunity to cut the driver's side carpet runner for the seat mountings.
I did quite a bit of fiddling with the driver's door as it won't open properly and it still doesn't but you can't see that.

1261 - 1264 of 1264 Posts