Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1267 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I suddenly go missing tell the Police to dredge the canal and MrsJim will be the prime suspect.:lol:

I'm just back from the restorer. I'm shaking ever so slightly in a heady mix of apprehension, excitement and a fear of impending penury or death should I overrun the budget agreed with MrsJim - and it will be tight. I had to pass on the £10k bare metal paint option however.:(

Last week was a bit of a disaster. We got there this time and unloaded the Bertie.

Lots of interesting stuff inside and out.

But we're not here for them, and hopefully dear reader you aren't either, so let's move on.

First look over...

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No sucking of air through clenched teeth from Ashleigh who is restoring his own S2 Spider and they have two Spiders inside, one belongs to the guitarist from the Stone Roses apparently.

"Actually this is pretty good....some surface rust...."

Weeping steering box gasket the first thing not on my list...

Lots of encouragingly solid "thunks" as metal is tapped. After much scraping a 5p sized hole is found in the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bodies in the way, so looking through the back windows, rear floors sound, lifted the vinyl wheel arch covers, more prodding, more nodding.

Amazing. Even more solid this side. Sills were replaced to a good standard shortly before going off the road in 1984.

I'll try to clean these up myself and get one good one.
[/URL][/IMG]

The car has been left with them. I've stepped off the ledge.

Next step. Detailed parts list. Engine and box will come out. Rolling chassis goes in a few weeks (they are busy) for soda or media blasting and Dinitrol treatment.

Still can't quite believe I've done it!

Reactions: DeeeeC

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,322 Posts
Super stuff, Jim - well done for taking a Brave Pill and good luck with the project :thumbs:

Two questions:
- what are they going to do to your car? It seems pretty solid overall. What needs doing?
- 9th pic down shows (i think) steering linkage-thingys. Do the Berties have a recirculating ball steering, rather than a rack and pinion system? Just an observation (and probably one I've got wrong :) )

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,505 Posts
Fantastic stuff Jim, i will be following this and looking forward to both updates and the finished article :)

Well done sir, its about time Bertie was taken off life support :thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks g, Stuart and Gaz

G, yes it has a steering box.

In summary there'll be complete strip down of front and back ends. New fast road suspension kit, new hydraulic and fuel lines everywhere, new master cylinder, new servos, bearings, callipers and discs (possibly big brakes kit - it's on the list ahead of std recon), polybushes, powder coated arms and ARB, new tank - not rusty but sludged up, new wheels and tyres, repairs to last week's crash damage, refitting trim, door/window seals, channel pcs, wiring tidy up and correction of nasty splices and connections, new F & R addition seatbelt .....and a comet's tail of other stuff.

Reactions: Eric Metz

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dellortos rebuild as expensive as new Webers. 2nd item not on my list. Well it was but nothing like the indicative cost.

I also forgot, all new engine mounts, hoses, engine bay repaint and all the bits with that.

Focus is very much on safety and usability, hence leaving some cosmetic niceties though I'd originally hoped the budget (which isn't that mean) would have got me further. It's always cheaper to buy a top price restored example, we all know that, but this is mine and I'm a bit of a sentimentalist softie.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Great news Jim, when are you expected to be on the road? Looking forward to a brace of Bianco Spino 105s driving to and arriving at a NW event.

What are you doing to the exhaust system. I have for free, to you, if you want them, the middle and tail boxes in stainless steel and in pretty good nick as well. (standard pipe size). Just let me know.

Edit: Look like the sort of place I might take mine to have the sills checked over; who is doing it for you?

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,322 Posts
Dellortos rebuild as expensive as new Webers. 2nd item not on my list. Well it was but nothing like the indicative cost.

I also forgot, all new engine mounts, hoses, engine bay repaint and all the bits with that.

Focus is very much on safety and usability, hence leaving some cosmetic niceties though I'd originally hoped the budget (which isn't that mean) would have got me further. It's always cheaper to buy a top price restored example, we all know that, but this is mine and I'm a bit of a sentimentalist softie.
This, plus the other work, sounds superb, sir :cool:

Not that it matters, but just out of interest, what's the rough time scale for when she'll be gracing the roads again? Are you in for some summer fun with the Alfa, or will it take a little longer (best not to rush these things, IMHO :thumbs: )

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good luck, It will look lovely,tell mrs J some porkys about the costs
Thanks duemiilia.No lies Chez Jim, it only comes back and bites. It was discussed honestly before I went. I was mildly surprised Lisa was so in favour albeit with the caveat that I don't go above the limit discussed. I was in the ball park but had to chuck in my 10% contingency more or less from the off without paint which I sort of hoped the budget would stretch to a decent but not bare metal job.

Good luck Jim!

No pockets in a shroud.
Aye Keithy, I'm getting towards that age when you realise it's now or never.

Is there a time frame here Jim? I suspect a slow burner.
Depends on your definition of slow burner, Starkers. Spring 2015. It has had enough time sat in my garage being promised attention.

Great news Jim, when are you expected to be on the road? Looking forward to a brace of Bianco Spino 105s driving to and arriving at a NW event.

What are you doing to the exhaust system. I have for free, to you, if you want them, the middle and tail boxes in stainless steel and in pretty good nick as well. (standard pipe size). Just let me know.
Thanks Adrian. That is definitely a strong motivating image in my mind! The exhaust is tired. That is a supremely generous offer, thank you. I've not been checking prices since I got back, too excited, but leaving the system standard for the time being was in the budget therefore a new one wasn't on my list so that would be fantastic, thanks!

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This, plus the other work, sounds superb, sir :cool:

Not that it matters, but just out of interest, what's the rough time scale for when she'll be gracing the roads again? Are you in for some summer fun with the Alfa, or will it take a little longer (best not to rush these things, IMHO :thumbs: )
They reckon on a minimum 300 hours. That may or may not be slightly padded given the overall solidity of the shell but it can't be far out even going off my own estimates. They can't start for a few weeks because of all the work ahead of it. Apart from the pics outside, the workshop is full. Good sign :). It'll be next Spring and they are are comfortable it will be a good way to complete this winter. I decided against my inner schoolboy instinct that pushing for October was semi-pointless as Alfas and road salt don't mix and I know I couldn't resist taking it out....every weekend.:)

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Edit: Look like the sort of place I might take mine to have the sills checked over; who is doing it for you?
One of the places I searched out when you asked earlier, Adrian. Trevor Farrington in Allostock, just up in the village near Mangoletsi. I went round a couple of them and liked what I saw and heard here.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
That is a lovely car and looks remarkably solid from the pictures. Look forward to the progress.

That car is going to give you many smiles per mile when you get it back:thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bostin stuff Jim .

I like a white Bertie :cool:
:thumbs: Cheers Evel, me too. No way it's changing colour.......even if I could run to it!

No stripes. Maybe a cloverleaf but maybe not. I'm undecided. They look nice but I don't go for much ornamentation and it is essentially standard, certainly engine wise.

It'll almost certainly have bumpers put back on even though they do look "right" without.

1 - 20 of 1267 Posts