Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to race at the "Piper Day" for about 10 years and this last weekend my dream became a reality. I arrived on Friday with my car sporting a few modifications since its first race day at the Kyalami 9 hour retro, brake cooling ducts, new master cylinder and the front anti-roll bar connected plus a few other minor things.
I went out for the open practice and after a lap I realised my brakes were binding so it was back to the pits....turns out the front right was the culprit, bled the brakes a bit and the problem was sorted.
Did another practice session and everything felt great, the car handles like its on rails its incredible that a 34 year old car can handle like it does!

Later in the day and its time to qualify, I get in the car and start it up and the oil pressure light doesn't go off and the pressure gauge hardly moves..:confused:....so I switch off and try again, same story. I open the bonnet and check the sender to see if there is anything obvious...there isn't. So I take the sender out, tap it a few times put it back in and it hasn't helped. I've had a faulty sender before so its a drive off to Midas to get a new unit..this time I get a mechanical gauge. Fit that and the oil barely moves up the pipe when I start the motor...this is obviously more serious than I thought..:cry:

After asking around (thanks Dawie!) it seems that the oil pump may be at fault, I've now missed qualifying for both the Trofeo and Historic Saloon classes and my whole race weekend is in the balance.
The light is fading and I've got the job of getting the sump off and oil pump out. By 7pm on Friday night I'd found the problem...the little piston that moves up and down in the pump had got stuck...I managed to get it out, used a bit of sandpaper to clean it up and the bore of the pump. It was now nearly 9pm and I just couldn't see what I was doing under the car anymore so I called it a night confident that I could have everything back and ready to go in the morning.

I arrive at 6am on Saturday and get the car back together, fire it up and the oil light goes out and I've got lots of pressure...:thumbs:

The first race of the day is the Trofeo race and as I didn't qualify I have to start from the back..301 seconds behind the first car! I had great fun though, chasing down the other cars but after 6 laps there was a massive gap to the next car up the road so I backed off. It was fantastic to see all the fans in the stands cheering me on....incredible experience.

My next race was the Historic Saloons F,G,H class. It was combined with the heavy hitting Trans-Am cars so it was a huge field. Again I had to start right from the back. Made up lots of places and then I got into a battle with a BMW 2002 and going in to the fast turn 4, I got a little wide and onto the dirty stuff and the car spun around and onto the grass on the infield. I kept it going but all my hard work was undone.....the joys of racing!

The car was going well, what it lacks in power in sure makes up for it in handling and I was looking forward to heat 2.
I had to start from the back again and quickly made up quite a few places until I caught up to that BMW 2002 again....we had an incredible battle!
He was much quicker down the straights but I was so much quicker through the corners. I would be next to him coming out of the hairpin at Turn 2 but by the top of the hill at Turn 5 he would be 3 to 4 car lengths ahead...then I would simply eat all the gap away by Turn 8. This went on for about 6 laps and although I was next to him coming out of Turn 8 on the last lap he pulled ahead by the flag....what a race!

I got back to the pits absolutely drenched in sweat but on such a high. I lost count of how many people came and chatted to me about my car, how nice it looked and Alfa's in general.
After the racing was done I tried to start my car again and it would not start....turns out the coil had cracked...this beautiful, temperamental little GTV had gone like a bomb when it counted and given me headaches before and after...isn't that just so Alfa!

Trans-Am_Historic_Saloon_EFG_0117.jpg

Trans-Am_Historic_Saloon_EFG_0187.jpg

Trans-Am_Historic_Saloon_EFG_0372.jpg

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Brilliant.
So now you need a couple of HP to eat that BMW next time.:thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Definetly full marks goes to Roger for effort . Most okes would have gone home. Car looks better in the " flesh" than in those pics . Roger if you miss qualifying next time come see me or Mandy and you can nominate a time so you don't have to start at back but this must be done immediately after the qualifying you missed . Also if you qualified really badly due to traffic etc you can also nominate faster time not slower . Anyone who thinks you can sand bag in trofeo you can't . It's hectic and really fun to race . You only get 0.5 seconds over taking time allocated per car you have to overtake so you can't dilly dally you got to make that move . Also you only have 1.5 % leeway in your fastest lap and your qualifying so it's absolutely balls to wall to win . It's like playing high speed computer games when you got to pass 33 cars in 10 laps and they also trying to overtake each other .
Roger hope to see you at next trofeo race . Also the ex Stewart Kidgell twin turbo gtv will make an appearance after 12 years under dust . It will be driven by domingoes eldest brother . This car was south africas fastest street car in the 90's .
Huge thanks to all those guys from forum who came to help .
Ps - getting worried my car has not missed a beat or broken anything in 56 laps now at swartkops and tyres are looking still fresh .

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ps - getting worried my car has not missed a beat or broken anything in 56 laps now at swartkops and tyres are looking still fresh .
must say, definately the hero of the day, did you see that GTV go.......

even gave a V8 M3 a good smack on the way home.

Giuseppe was also very impressive, happy as a pig in $h!7 after the race, never seen somebody so pleased with him self.......well deserved though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was a bit unconvinced about racing in Trofeo with its handicapped start but it really is good fun and I will definately be racing some more Trofeo races this year. :)

K

·
0 Posts
What's also interesting is there are 25 guys in trofeo who fastest lap is in a 1 second window ( between 1.20 and 1.21) so their is not much handicapping needed there - it's door to door in a friendly way . It can only be boring to watch if their is a small field hence the encouragement for guys to join . You don't need a trailer and your car does not have to be 2mm off the floor to drive to the track and race . There are four gtv6 and we always drive to and from the track with our cars packed with tools . Not sure what we gonna do when it breaks . I just take numberplate off front for better airflow except forgot in last race as can be seen in avatar pic above .
Check page 2 on this link to see how close it is.
Zwartkops Owners Club

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:thumbs: next time I'm going to bring more Italian stallions under that bonnet so that I don't dissapoint...thanks for the support!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't think there was any disappointment....it was great seeing all the racing Alfas & your car looked sweet!

But yea, more horses can never be a bad thing....:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Very Nice Roger!!! Your car Really looks Great on the track, so glad you did the effort to fix the car so you could compete!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
295 Posts
A very well done Roger, your Alfa GTV looks awesome, but I have to agree with Ian Lusso, that bmw 2002 was just to slow :thumbs:

Well done buddy :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts