Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
I'm probably wrong but I'm sure I read in another thread that he did actually used to drive one?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Well thanks for finding that chaps, and that was my baby as I can recognise a small chip on the catwalk where a Volvo bounced off me.:lol: I'll see if it really was' Whiskers 131' by comparing a picture?:): Semi-auto box with a gear change pedal, a pre-select gear system as used on some DD and other buses that 81Q will know more about than me.:):

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you had ever driven or commanded one in the winter and frozen your bits bits off or conversely toasted them during the summer then possibly you might think again.

Brilliant fun to drive, 4 ton's, 70mph (from a good one) 5x forward and reverse gears, pre select via a gcp (gear change pedal).

Drivers hatches have the potential to bite fingers, and dont drive x country with thumbs tucked in the wheel, fast corners in the wet should also be avoided. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
For alfaclover and some other AO'ers who may not have seen any of my crappy old B&W piccies. Apologise to those that have boringly viewed in the past.

Me, and Jona' that's me beret off. Provost Sgt. said I looked like a Bulgarian Bag O' Schite tied in the middle:D No offence to our Bulgarian chums, just a squaddie jokie?:):

·
Registered
269 Posts
For alfaclover and some other AO'ers who may not have seen any of my crappy old B&W piccies. Apologise to those that have boringly viewed in the past.

Me, and Jona' that's me beret off. Provost Sgt. said I looked like a Bulgarian Bag O' Schite tied in the middle:D No offence to our Bulgarian chums, just a squaddie jokie?:):
Yea, everything lashed or bunjied on the sides, never enough room in the bins. lol. Some things didn't change much. As OP's we had radar, laser, and bits and peices strapped allover the shop. Great pic by the way.:thumbs:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Where were you at then and with whom, Bovvy for starters? Weren't allowed aero elastics, not issue and pay was mingy then.:):
74 - 96 Gnr to WO in the same bty (L Nery) did most of my time in BAOR witha couple of spells at Larkhill and Tidworth finished up with 1RHA but 2nd Field will always be home.

Missed the Faklands by 3 days as I was on advance party back to Dortmund from Larkhill, but managed to fit in Gulf 1 before returning to civvie st.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ah! right alfaclover. Started in '57 in Waterloo troop, then joined 5RTR at Catterick, then Recce Troop with The Regiment doing those old border patrols. Have you got a few piccies? Having seen your AO join date, did you not get bored with all of my old snaps in the past, as most on AO did I reckon?:lol:

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hah they are not boring Z, quite good to see the old snaps come out.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Might be a bit boring to that 22yr. time served with the colours Alfacloverleaf Ex. Gunner though! I loved skitting around in the old Ferret but as I knew the regiment was due to disband in the sixties, I came out for a look around and never went back.:(:

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
This was taken in Tin Town (NI training aid purpose built for patrol training bomb and shooting response ect) 48 hr exercise where the local population (all squadies male and female) acted out most things we were likely to encounter on tour. The riot phase normally put 3 per troop in doc and a few of the (Micks) as well. The sods were supplied with free booze at night and played for keeps.

Just after this we deployed to the Maze and featured in the Maze marathon sometimes known as the breakout.:mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts