Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 litre 166 with the ZF 4HP transmission has some issues I need to investigate. When I use my AlfaOBD software it asks me to plug in the 3 lead cable (used on early Alfas and also my Aprilia). My question is, where is the socket to plug it into? Dont remember ever seeing it. Does anybody know where it is?

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
P is it the OBD cable port?
Under the steering wheel is a panel that should have one twisty knob.
When you open it the panel should drop down revealing the port

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No that is the OBD2 plug that does the engine, airbags, ABS etc and use different adapters depending what you are checking. The earlier Alfas used a special 3 pin plug plus has two separate leads with alligator clips and these are + and - to provide 12 volts. The other end plugs into your male OBD2 adapter on your software. This is the cable: 3 Pin to 16 Pin OBD2 Adapter Connector Diagnostic Cable for Fiat Alfa Lancia | eBay It was used on Phase 1 GTV/Spiders and some other cars. I have the cable but cant find the female 3 pin plug.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Strange, the 166 was already OBD standard compliant.
Multiecuscan vehicle list site says OBD pin 9 for zf diag.
Try making a jumper wire between pin 7 and 9, that should do it.
Then just hit ok when alfaobd asks for the adapter

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My email to AlfaOBD: I use your software on Alfa Romeo cars and have generally found it good. I am however having an issue reading the transmission on a 2004 166 Alfa with a 3 litre motor and the 4HP 20 ZF gearbox. When I select Gearbox and then the ZF option your software asks me to connect the old Alfa/Fiat 3 pin (with + and - cables). Firstly I cannot find the female 3 pin plug and when I posted a query as to where it is on a Facebook Alfa 166 forum I have had 2 replies both from people using MultiECUscan. The first person said he has been able to connect to the ZF using as far as he could recall the Green adapter cable. The second said using MultiECUscan he was able to connect and he made the point the 166 is fully OBD2 compliant so should connect through that port. He said the ZF gearbox uses Pin 9 on the OBD2 plug. I havent yet tried but before I do I thought I should contact you.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Peter I know you're on Facebook. I would PM Chris Cousins. He knows a lot about 166s

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did put it on their FB page. Didnt get a response from Chris but got a good response from someone else. Have emailed AlfaOBD for clarification.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well you learn something every day. Even though the AlfaOBD software said to use the 3 pin connector I hooked the green adaptor on and it read my gearbox ECU. So connection problem solved. Niw I just have to work out what codes N1, N2, and N3 mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts