Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's it! I've totally had it. I brought my 156 back in February with 60k on the clock and FSH (what a joke). :rant:

Since then it's had... There is a list...

Upper NS wishbone.
Lower NS wishbone.
Both drop links.
OS Track rod end.
Front anti roll bar.
Front anti roll bar bushes.
Both front tie rods.
NS rear tie rod.
Front brake pads.
Anti squeal shims.
Gear knob.
Windscreen wipers.
Number plates.
Spark plugs.
Fully synthetic 10-60w.
Bosch oil filter.
Sony head unit.
Connects to interface kit.
Aluminium and fibreglass repair to undertray.
Wiper motor assembly.
Bosch MAF sensor.
Coolant temperature transmitter.
ECU reset.
Drivers door interior handle.
4 Wheel tracking.
Aux' drive belt.
Halogen side light bulbs.
All in the space of 3 months. :cry:

I'm also sure that I've forgotten something.

It still needs...

Variator.
Water pump.
Cam belt.
Indicator stalk.
10lbs of Semtex under it.
:(

Now done it again and I'm about two steps away from selling it and buying a Honda. I finally got the cold running problem sorted yesterday evening and now it's developed a whole new problem that wasn't there this morning... It has a funny little stutter at about 1400rpm and if I blip the throttle it revs but instead of returning back to tickover it drops to about 2000rpm and holds there for several seconds before returning to 900 rpm. It's just one problem after the next after the next and it's now driving me officially nuts. :mad: And as an added bonus the sodding MCSF is still showing despite the fact that apart from todays problem the damn thing's running fine. :cry:

Anyone got any idea what this latest curved ball is all about?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Plug her in and ask her. Think the full version of FES will give live faults while the engine is running (don't quote me on that though)
Know what you mean though, i'm 2 weeks in and so far
Cambelt
Variator
Waterpump
Lambda Sensor
On my third headunit (indecisive!)
VAG Cable

...and left with a persistant airbag light
need wheel alignment too (wonky steering wheel!)

These things are sent to try us!! I know why we all seem to give our cars female personas! Lol

·
Registered
338 Posts
Id of done the cambelt n water pump first ect... before stereo and numberplate, how old is your car Frost? Not much left to replace lol... may as well keep it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if it's possible for the MAF, the temp transmitter and the lambder probe to all be shagged at the same time at 60000 miles. Here's the reasoning behind by theory... Car starting running like pooh when cold about 4 weeks ago and showing the occasional MCSF which cleared when it got warm, then it started getting worse, showing MSCF all the time so I changed the MAF, small improvement when cold, big improvement when warm, on advise changed the temp transmitter, big improvement when cold but not 100% yet. Did ECU reset. Big improvement across the board but now I'm left with my new problem which some people have suggested could be the lamder. As yet I can't plug it in because I don't have a laptop, my car is parked 20 feet away from my computer, my missus would murder me if I tried to drive it throught the French doors and apparently a bluetooth cable type thingy is about a hundred quid. Unless anyone has any ideas I think it'll have to go into the local garage. :(

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id of done the cambelt n water pump first ect... before stereo and numberplate, how old is your car Frost? Not much left to replace lol... may as well keep it.
The numberplates were needed because the old front one fell off on the way home from buying it and I had the Sony from old Mitsubishi so it didn't cost me anything. It's an 02 plate.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've just replaced a dead lambda in mine - and apart from the MCSF and very, very infrequent dead patch when accelerating I wouldn't have even known there was a problem.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have you got no form of OBDII code reader? cheap off ebay it will at least read your ECU codes and direct you to the problem...

Other than that find an old laptop and buy a cable off rarebear on here to read the codes. Download the software for free...

Could shout out for a fellow local AO member to plug you in to his or her laptop?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
As yet I can't plug it in because I don't have a laptop, my car is parked 20 feet away from my computer, my missus would murder me if I tried to drive it throught the French doors and apparently a bluetooth cable type thingy is about a hundred quid. :(

USB extender - USB To Midi - USB to RS232 - USB To Parallel - USB printer Cable - USB Extender, Network Cable Ethernet Cables Cat5e Cat5 Cat6

that will extend it upto 50m all you need is some normal cat5 lan cable upto the distance you need :)

thats the only idea I can think of :)

·
Registered
Alfa 145, Spider, Chrysler Delta
7,120 Posts
sorry to introduce a new thing to look at, but the hesitation when cold could very well be a coil pack, these can clear when warm, along with the MCSF light, ours did. Often No1 is at fault as garage have a tendency to slop oil when re-filling and it going into plug hole No1 killing the coil pack.

Many of these parts are made by Bosch BTW,

the cable is quite long, 2m or so, will the computer stretch to the drive? or a mates laptop?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry to introduce a new thing to look at, but the hesitation when cold could very well be a coil pack, these can clear when warm, along with the MCSF light, ours did. Often No1 is at fault as garage have a tendency to slop oil when re-filling and it going into plug hole No1 killing the coil pack.

Many of these parts are made by Bosch BTW,

the cable is quite long, 2m or so, will the computer stretch to the drive? or a mates laptop?
I cured the hesitation when cold. It was the temp transmitter... The new problem that started today is a very slight stutter at about 1400 rpm and the fact that when I blip the throttle the revs settle at about 2000 rpm and hang there for about 10 seconds before dropping to a normal tickover. BTW the computer is in the home office which is in the spare bedroom. It just gets better and better don't it? :cry: Looks like it might be a second hand laptop. I just don't know how much longer I can keep hurling money and time at it for. It's now been virtually every day for 3 months.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I have the cable and disc if you wish to use it, although I found ECUscan better, free download

the bad news is I have not ever had to use it properly so do not have an idea how it works, bar looking at lots of numbers changing when I blip the throttle.

PM me you address if interested an I will post it to you

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the cable and disc if you wish to use it, although I found ECUscan better, free download

the bad news is I have not ever had to use it properly so do not have an idea how it works, bar looking at lots of numbers changing when I blip the throttle.

PM me you address if interested an I will post it to you
Wow. That would be cool. Let me see if I can beg, steal or borrow a laptop and I'll get back to you? That is really generous of you. If I borrow it I'll take a copy and mail it straight back to you. :)

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I could not get Alfadiag to run properly, the security saw it as a threat or something, so I downloaded FiatECUscan which is similar and worked first time. I will include the Alfadiag disc and instructions, you may have better luck with it than me, and most importantly Rarebears magic cable.

HTH

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
I forgot,

PM me you address and I will send it tomorrow am, you should get it Sat, only 40 miles away.

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
AlfaDiag does show up on some a/v software, but they are actually wrong .. it's fine.

You may have to purchase a new licence to get it to work on another PC though and in demo mode it only measure the engine temp.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that I've finally traced it to a faulty lambda probe... I'll have a play with my multi meter over the weekend. If it's not that then I secured the use of an old laptop. If I need to borrow the software I'll PM you later... Once again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
Its lucky dip time, really, isn't it - I bought milady's Y-reg 1.6 Sportwagon a couple of years ago for £600, in which time she's done about 18K miles (its now showing about 154K IIRC) ....and I've changed the brake pads and an offside rear wheel bearing, and then this last week it started running rough so I've fitted a second-hand MAF. Variator rattles, and the engine mangement and airbag lights are on, but they've been like that since I got it.....I really should think about changing the oil, I suppose, and the cambelt probably needs changing - but it passed MOT last week with only a sidelight bulb needed...mind you that took me 25 minutes to change:mad:....so it'll probably last another year........:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts