Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My F/L 3.0 sporto 166 wears the lovely factory 18" alloys, shod with Pirelli Rosso 235/40 18s (which I think is the original type fitted).

In the handbook it suggests 2.7 bar (39 PSI).

This seems to make the car a bit 'skittish', especially on rougher surfaces.

Is anyone out there running this wheel/tyre combo? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Think I run at 2.4 however the car has the factory fitted lowering kit, skirts etc so the handling is pretty good anyway. Only issue is the tyre wear to the front inner surfaces.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
For the 18" 2.7 Bar front & rear isn't just a "suggestion", it is the spec'd pressure, so DO NOT run below that.

If you don't want the car to feel skittish, maybe you need something smaller than 18".

The only size that 2.4 Bar is acceptable on is the 16"...!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Think I run at 2.4 however the car has the factory fitted lowering kit, skirts etc so the handling is pretty good anyway. Only issue is the tyre wear to the front inner surfaces.
..what's the factory fitted lowering kit..? is it the eibachs..?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably a characteristic of that wheel/tyre combo then.

The last (tyre) garage that had it left them all at 2.1, it was more comfortable & seemed more 'sure-footed'. When I filled-up & next checked the pressures, I put them back to 2.7.

Had I not picked this up, then the tyres would have worn unevenly - at £180 each that's not funny.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
If you haven't got one already, it is worth buying a pressure gauge as garage airlines don't have an easy life and their gauges may not be accurate.

A basic pencil type will do the job. No batteries to worry about so you can just leave it in the glove box and it will always work when needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the same spec car a couple of months ago, with the multispoke 18s. Tyres were around 30 psi, so I filled em up to 40 - and yes it made it more skittish! But I don't mind, it feels sportier and with the amount of potholes around here, it's gonna protect the rims more. Im no engineer, so I have to trust those who spent millions developing and testing them, no?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts