Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I once more need your help. What do you think about my front tyres?
I've uploaded some photo's here:
http://1drv.ms/1usGjPs
Should I replace them?

Thank you in advance for spending time in this thread :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Same thing happened to me, I had to replace the tire, front left.
There were 2 suspects in my case.. The tire were hitting the inner boot, and also it was under inflated for some time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've checked and they have the right amount of pressure. My Mito was disqualified for public road use in Belgium (legal required anual check) due to the state of my front tyres. This caused a big sudden problem because I was not allowed to drive to work or any other place except the dealer (or mechanic).

·
Registered
389 Posts
You need the geometry checking as the wheels are running on the inside edge, the side walls look fine so I would suggest that its not due to running the tires flat, but this will have been happening for quite some time.
As the wear gets worse towards the edge it doesnt look like anything is fouling the tyre to cause the wear but it is the tyres position on the road.
It maybe you hit a big pothole and its knocked it out or someones done some work on the suspension and messed the geometry up.

If the rules say the tyres arent legal in Belgium then you need to change them. They look like they would just pass and MOT in this country as the inner sections look like there is sufficient tread depth but as I cant actually see them I cant be certain. But I i had tyres like this i would change them now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need the geometry checking as the wheels are running on the inside edge, the side walls look fine so I would suggest that its not due to running the tires flat, but this will have been happening for quite some time.
As the wear gets worse towards the edge it doesnt look like anything is fouling the tyre to cause the wear but it is the tyres position on the road.
It maybe you hit a big pothole and its knocked it out or someones done some work on the suspension and messed the geometry up.

If the rules say the tyres arent legal in Belgium then you need to change them. They look like they would just pass and MOT in this country as the inner sections look like there is sufficient tread depth but as I cant actually see them I cant be certain. But I i had tyres like this i would change them now.
Thank you for your opinion. It is at the dealer now to have everything checked out. I was just depressed because I was told this would be only a citation and I'd have 2 weeks to replace them and have the car checked again.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
did it fail for tyres (it shouldn't) or did they fail the car for misalignment?

What station did you go to? you should have demanded the chief to have a look there and then.

G

·
The MiTo is very sensitive to wheel alignment and tracking, my first set of front tyres were down to the UK legal limit in just over 8k miles (13k km). Don't forget that there's only a small contact area between tyre and road in the first place so anything that compromises it is a bad thing, I would change them mate.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tyres have been replaced and realigned. A mates BMW was diagnosed with the same issues but he only received a remark on his paper.. he has 2 weeks to get things sorted, where mine was instantly redeemed road-unworthy... An insult to such a fine car.

·
Registered
454 Posts
definitely negative camber.

same thing on my car... got it from the dealership with -1degree camber

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for commenting.. :) The tyres have been replaced and she is now road legal. They just looked at the tyres.. didn't need to go on the bridge or over the pit... Typical Belgium...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts