Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2.4 Jdtm 200hp Ti Qtronic is currently giving me (according to the trip computer) a miserable 21mpg, (around 13.5l/100km). This is for around town, driving gently.

I've read wildly varying fuel consumption figures both here and elsewhere. From 35mpg+ (sounds wildly optimistic) down to 15mpg if driven hard (sounds depressingly probable).

Given that my engine is low mileage (60,000 km), and has just had a thorough clean and service, I'm wondering if this heavy consumption is normal, or if something is set up wrongly. I appreciate that the QTronic box will suck a few mpg more, but I haven't had fuel economy this bad since the early 80s!

What should I be expecting?
Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have both a brera and 159 with the same engine was averaging 30mpg but both have had an egr delete and remap at ahm ( great service by the way) . Now on mixed driving we get 40mpg so a really good improvement . Going on a European tour in May down to Como so hopefully will be pushing high 40mpg on long motorway cruises .Both are Q-tronic

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
ive done 4k miles in my brera since buying it, 90% of my driving is on motorways, very little in town.

i do 70 miles a day i can get 43MPG if i really try, over a tank full the worst i get it 38MPG

if you doing a lots of town driving i think you have the wrong car/engine, they dont suit this type work

·
Registered
395 Posts
Over 11296 miles i've had an average fuel consumption of 26.27mpg.
Out of that 2531 miles with car as standard with average consumption of 24.60mpg
After that i've had a DPF removed and remap by gus.
Then i've done 4670 miles with average consumption of 26.25mpg.
After that i've had engine rebuilt by autolusso (due to a garage overfilling it with oil) and they've also done a software upgrade and returned it to standard - so i've done my own map for it rather than using map from gus as i've had certain concerns about it.
since then i've done 4095 miles with average consumption of 26.57mpg.

Over the whole period i've had a maximum fuel consumption of 20.75mpg, minimum of 33.57mpg and a standard deviation of 3.42.

All values are recorded from the pump (values displayed on the dash were showing higher mpg while i had remap from gus).
This is all with climate control set to 21-22C's with AC on.
Also, i tend to use the loud pedal quite a lot (on my 156 1.9 i used to get 30mpg - the guy that own's it now is getting around 60)

·
Registered
250 Posts
That does seem a bit low but I'm not that surprised by an mpg of 21 for urban driving in a 2.4 auto. My wife's manual 2.0 JTDM 170 159 SW with careful driving is averaging 35mpg and thats with 150 miles per week on the motorway and a few short stop start journeys. Your auto box will rob it of a couple of mpg and the cold temperatures of winter means it takes longer to get up to full operating temperature so again mpg will suffer.

The DPF will also be killing mpg on town driving. Our car has just been into the local inde as a warning light came on for the oxygen sensor. During the diagnostics the garage told me the car is going into regen every 350 miles using more fuel each time. If you are doing nothing but town driving its likely your car will be in regen even more often. I'm afraid it all points to 21 mpg. It is pretty poor for a modern diesel but that seems to be the price for owning such a stylish car.

Count your blessing its not a 3.2 V6. Those boys and girls must have very deep pockets!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Over 3.5K miles my average is 26.4 mpg. 2.2 petrol engine. I mostly use the car for local shopping trips in central London, but most of the miles are on holiday trips. New tyres that are highly rated for mileage, 4-wheel alignment and a mild, generic remap.

I've had a best of 30.2 mpg and a low of 21.1 over a tankful.

I take readings from the petrol pump, rather than relying on the trip computer

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Last tankful from my V6 Brera was 15.3mpg. On a run at under 85 on the Motorway, 24 mpg.

Legal speeds motorway run, 27mpg.

My average week in week out is 20-21mpg.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mpg

my 159 2.4 qtronic saloon has given me a figure of roughly 31mpg over a year it does mainly short journeys on B roads about 8 miles to work, it was remapped to 245 bhp in the summer but the mpg did not really change? On a steady 50 miles plus motorway run I can get 40 mpg!
It is rubbish compared to other cars I have owned but it's usually the only one in the car park:?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just done a couple of hundred motorway miles up to Birmingham & back... 50mpg with a Gus tuned 2.0jtdm. If the trip computer is inaccurate then it could be more measured at the tank. And not hanging around.. shame a lady decided to drive into my passenger side while looking at her satnav on a roundabout this evening a couple of miles from home :-( probably drop the mpg a bit with the remodeled aerodynamics...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most remaps make the trip computer show higher mpg (better fuel consumption) than in reality - some remaps go as far as 30% difference (but you can make it show almost whatever you want).

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Have you checked your tyre pressures? I noticed my average had dropped a bit over Xmas, but as the tyres hadn't been fitted more than 4 weeks, I didn't check the pressures. Checked them last week, one rear was 22psi, pumped up and MPG is back to normal.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My mpg figures are from brimming the tank and then working out the mileage and going from there. The remaps I had done are both not really for power as there is plenty there in the first place. Have a chat with Ahm they can explain far better than me. The main reason for remapping was to remove the Egr

·
Registered
113 Posts
Riczito my car is same spec as yours and I usually get 38-41 on the trip computer. Never had less than 35. Regularly get 500 miles to a tank though which may show the trip to be incorrect?

·
Registered
44 Posts
standard 159 2.4 Manual doing 8 miles in traffic to work and back then 70 miles motorway on a weekend + fairly regular trips to Ayr.

Round town I get 29, motorway runs between 40 & 45 on the computer!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm surprised at how poor the diesel's fuel economy is in these examples

When looking for a Brera I decided on a petrol because of the lighter engine - my daily drive and my wife's car are both diesels and with a mixture of short & long runs both average mid to high 40s (VW 1.9 130hp in a Polo and Renault 1.6 130hp in a Scenic).

On a "gentle" run (not accelerating too hard) I get high 20s and on a "mission" it's low 20s. Interestingly, when friends drive the economy is worse (mid to high teens)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have the new 2.0JTDm, my trip shows an average over combined journeys as 37mpg. I have done brim to brim check and the trip was almost spot on, 38mpg. Not fantastic by any means, especially seeing as its not really a quick car at all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
If any of you disappointed DERVers want to feel better, I get 18 mpg in urban-only driving, and 28 mpg on motorway runs.

That said, they are all happy miles :)

1 - 20 of 92 Posts