Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
so our kids won't be getting any school books for a few years because a load of greedy dinner ladies were given a sniff of money by slimy solicitors & gung-ho unions

unions & lawyers - talk about a match made in hell

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to protect the resources side of things, we are at the bare minimum as it is. We have to rely on our PTA to buy us the rest of the resources to make life more interesting!

It will come down to losing staff. Staff that work with pupils to make a difference.

And they won't be able to get another job as all schools will be tightening belts, so they will have to take a lower paid job (not using some of their skills) or sign on, then we will all pay again through tax!! Brilliant.

Last one out of the country turn the lights off please.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I can't go into anymore detail, and have probably said too much already
Can't you send an anonymous whistle-blowing dossier to a national newspaper? :confused: ;)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty close to it actually. About time it was exposed for the money making sham it has become. My faith in the "system" has now totally shut down. And I work in it!

E

·
0 Posts
so our kids won't be getting any school books for a few years because a load of greedy dinner ladies were given a sniff of money by slimy solicitors & gung-ho unions

unions & lawyers - talk about a match made in hell
Yup. Money has to come from somewhere and you can only squeeze local government budgets and tax payers so much. Sad thing that it will be the kids that lose out.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are all but numbers in the machine. And so it seems are the children we care for. Don't even start me on the latest round of changes to the alleged curriculum.......:cry:

·
Registered
988 Posts
The Refuse Collectors story is an interesting one. Many many years ago this was a job of hard manual labour and most importantly a politically sensitive one. The public will tend to accept variable service from their Council or even the odd strike without much interest but if the rubbish is not collected, all hell breaks loose and MP's and Councillors become involved. So, over the years Local Authorities have attempted to recognise the physical aspect of the job by adding bonuses and whenever the various Governments have demanded LA pay freezes the Refuse Collectors have received an increase in the shape of a bonus or something similar at the request of Councillors. Or to put it another way, the Refuse teams say we will go on strike and then very quickly some deal is authorised at a political level. If you were a Finance or Legal Manager or even a Social Worker you could not get the same level of backing from anyone.

And so, over the years these strange additional payments built up, it was always the intention to resolve them but politically it would be a hard and painful task and so was left for someone else to do in the future. When Single Status arrived in 1997 almost everyone ignored it until the 2004 pay agreement. By now it was clear Job Evaluation was simply to be a project which at best would be very painful and for many Councils would be far far worse.

·
Banned
4,362 Posts
I'd imagine it to be only the tip of a very large iceberg, you can almost smell the groups 5/6 waiting in
the wings for their slice of the cake :eek:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Wow and heres me feeling a bit sorry for the bin men on a wet morning when i go to a nice warm office , how wrong was i !

Blow that whistle !

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am not sure about the legal position at Birmingham but most other authorities had to pay back pay etc was because they knew about the discrimination but chose not to do anything about it. No doubt there was a range of reasons why they did nothing but ultimately they hoped it would go away even after the 1997 Green Book which obligated Councils to sort everything out.

What no one had predicted was the sudden rise of a 'no win - no fee' solicitor who almost singled handedly took on most of the Councils in a very aggressive fashion and then turned on the Unions.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are the pensions also related :confused:
no, no, nooooo....not the P word......:rant:

I know most people won't understand my annoyance, I'm used to that now, but we have had a pay freeze, and a large pension increase (approx 25% more monthly cost to me as of April) and I am now in the position to manage this malarky.
Not the job I signed up for.

But I have just had a walk down the corridor, chatted to a few fantastic kids and reminded myself why its worth it. :)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and again lowejackson speaks sense. The unions themselves have had enough of this situation. Lead by solicitors now, blood sucking mother hubbards......

And the scary bit for us now is that the previous round of claims had a timed limit, ie: the individual had a certain period of time to get a claim in. The new claims are untimed.....tick tick.......tick tick.....boom!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd better shut up and go and do some work now! Make a change a few say.......cheers all. HAd a rant and feel better for it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I understand your frustration completely - my father was a teacher (deputy head) so I got some feel for what it was like in the education sector, and I am ex-civil servant having taken voluntary redundancy last autumn....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts