Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
I'm pretty certain he's our local Cons MP; he knocked on my door about six or seven years ago, canvassing. I was shaking from head to toe (not with rage) but flu, and I bid him a prompt farewell.

And there endeth my Gove tale.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I think it says something that he thinks a book will be enhanced if he has added an inscription.

E

·
0 Posts
I think a signed copy of the hungry hungry caterpiller would be much more use anyway.

·
Registered
17,564 Posts
It's a joke.
I will admit that I personally think the sentiment was right but somehow (as these things often do) it seems it could all go to pot totally if a sponser is not found. The Government say they respect all faiths so there is no harm in it IMO.

But much more importantly, I would like to see this Government honour the many promises they made to reform the education system.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Surely Gideon can spare a few Bibles. If they can manage one for every hotel room, schools should be dead easy.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Surely Gideon can spare a few Bibles. If they can manage one for every hotel room, schools should be dead easy.
They have provided them for schools in the past (I remember getting a NT/Psalms when I was at high school but they are relying on reduced gifts I'd guess and increased cost of materials.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know times are hard, and public spending must be reduced, but inscribed bibles and royal yachts are essential, dontchaknow!

·
Premium Member
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While patting myself on the back over my Gideon joke - really I need to nod in the direction of Bill Hicks on that one - I find myself whirling and spinning over Miliband. He's not quite in his death throes, but it won't be long now, and I'm wondering if there is someone strong enough and brave enough to reform the party from top to bottom. The irony is,of course, that doing so will probably make the Tories a shoe-in next time round, but with Mr Ed that's a goner anyway.

Last weeks PMQ performance was astounding. I sat in my car (pulled over - I quite enjoy the silliness of PMQs) and it was just astonishing. If it were your pal in the pub you'd have pushed him to his seat, told him to sup up and shut up. Cameron and Osborne probably cannot believe their luck.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
It's often the way when a strong leader quits.. and Blair was a strong leader..

Look at the shambles the Tories were in when Maggie departed

I can't 'see' a strong leader in the current Labour crowd

We need a strong opposition... but we rarely get one when we need one :(

V

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty certain he's our local Cons MP; he knocked on my door about six or seven years ago, canvassing. I was shaking from head to toe (not with rage) but flu, and I bid him a prompt farewell.

And there endeth my Gove tale.
You should have breathed on him!

·
Premium Member
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's often the way when a strong leader quits.. and Blair was a strong leader..

Look at the shambles the Tories were in when Maggie departed

I can't 'see' a strong leader in the current Labour crowd

We need a strong opposition... but we rarely get one when we need one :(
Quite so, having elected Miliband Jnr, I suspect that the position is poisoned now for Snr - and I suspect that, while being more accomplished than Ed, David is some way from being as polished and prepared for leadership as he needs to be.

It's not much to ask for is it? Razor sharp, evidently-sensible, fair and restorative policies that can be communicated clearly and dynamically by a clever and charismatic born leader, equipped with sufficient guile, awareness and deft wit to put his opponents ham-fisted efforts to the sword??? :confused::inlove::rolleyes:;)

V

·
0 Posts
The Guardian report states that Cameron felt it wouldn't be a good idea to distribute the Bibles at the same time as teachers were considering going on strike.

Initial reports that Gove had rewritten one classic proverb in the Bibles to read 'it's easier for a man to pass through the eye of a needle than leave work with a final salary pension' are apparently untrue.

·
Premium Member
77,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Guardian report states that Cameron felt it wouldn't be a good idea to distribute the Bibles at the same time as teachers were considering going on strike.

Initial reports that Gove had rewritten one classic proverb in the Bibles to read 'it's easier for a man to pass through the eye of a needle than leave work with a final salary pension' are apparently untrue.
:cheese:

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Surely this is just another politician giving the impression of doing something, while achieving absolutely nothing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts