• North America

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 16 27.1%
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
A large part of driving pleasure comes from other motorists on the road. In my experience the majority of Italians are aware and switched on when driving.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
hmmm... changed my mind, now i'd say france over scotland. better road surfaces and it doesn't rain 8 days a week

·
Registered
9 Posts
South Island of New Zealand - awesome roads, dramatic scenery, the stuff TV ads are made of, especially Christchurch to Queenstown or Fox Glacer down West Coast to Queenstown road trips and... hardly any cops :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
A large part of driving pleasure comes from other motorists on the road. In my experience the majority of Italians are aware and switched on when driving.
... until they cross the border
into France when they become
doddering drivers with no
confidence. It's a very weird
phenomena. :confused: :confused: :confused:

(And it's not just the hordes of camper
van drivers. It's everyone. )

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
The mountains in Italy. Although it was in a Fiat Sedici.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
Try catania in Sicily - hell on wheels is the only way to describe it.

I was planning on hiring mopeds or a car - i never bothered I was scared to cross the road never mind drive on it.

·
Premium Member
38,311 Posts
Now I'll add Canada to my list. :D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
One word, Autobahn !!!! :D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I fell asleep while travelling in the US once. When I fell asleep we were looking at corn 5 foot high as far as you could see. Woke up later and was still looking at corn 5 foot high. I asked my brother if I'd missed anything, he said " Yeah there was a farm a few miles back":lol:

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Most enjoyable would have to be Oz, specifically the Great Ocean coastal Road :cool:

Most exhilirating (for all the wrong reasons) would be Beijing :eek:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Another one on the list of countries NEVER to drive in:

Turkey. They are mental!!!

:eek:

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Have only driven in SA, so had to vote other

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I've driven in Australia, NZ, England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Italy, USA, Canada, Norway... and Vanuatu.

Australia is boring for me because I live here and regularly drive a 1400km (around 900 miles) round trip on the Hume Highway in a weekend to visit my family. And although the interstate highways are often very good, the 110 Km/h speed limit on them is too slow - set more with an eye to revenue-raising than safety. And Australian drivers are not very courteous compared with anywhere else I have driven except the USA. Agree with the earlier comment about the Great Ocean Road on Victoria's southwest coast though, except on a Sunday afternoon when the traffic is heading back to Melbourne.

NZ has fantastic scenery, very low traffic density and and relatively courteous drivers. Unfortunately they have under-invested in road maintenance in recent years and I have had some alarming experiences with very poor road surfaces without warning.

I lived in England for two years - most pommies would disagree with me I know, but I found English drivers, on the whole, to be relatively well-disciplined and courteous. Face it - the place would grind to a halt otherwise!

Norway - good drivers, amazing scenery, but the speed limit is needlessly low on the good roads.

The only good thing about driving in the USA for me is the cheap fuel. I acknowledge I might feel different if I got to drive somewhere interesting, but alas I usually go there for work and drive around the Washington-Baltimore area. San Francisco was fun. Palo Alto was not. Hawaii is fun.

Vanuatu (the former New Hebrides) is pretty amazing. In colonial days it was an Anglo-French condominium and according to legend (surely not true!) the English police would fine you for driving on the right, and the French police for driving on the left. Supposedly you then took the ticket to the "other" police station to get it cancelled. Anyway, the effect now is that people drive anywhere they damn well like. It was amazing seeing Hilux utilities roaring down the streets of Port Vila with people STANDING in the back. I have attached a graphic to prove it. We hired a little Kia 4WD and drove around the main island of Efate. The road was built by US military engineers in the war and has had little done on it since. Beautiful scenery, charming people. Very memorable.

But my favourite country to drive in has to be Italy. Yes, the other drivers are crazy. Yes the road rules are of academic interest only. But the thrill of being passed by a Maserati doing 200 kph, the experience of pottering along a mountain road at 20kph stuck behind an "Ape" 2-stroke utility vehicle, the sheer terror of driving in the cities. You certainly know you are alive.

Graphic: passengers in Port Vila, Vanuatu:

Attachments

41 - 53 of 53 Posts