1 - 20 of 53 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking into account overall road quality, scenery, traffic congestion
and the way the natives drive.

Personnaly I like the US, their roads are
sh1te but made up for by stunning scenery.

The worst: Sicily NEVER drive there!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I've voted other.

I actually think tha UK would be one of the best places - at least people drive on the correct side of the road, and aren't as needlessly agressive as say in Belgium. Some of the scenery is good too. However, what ruins it are the other 50,000,000 sods who also enjoy driving in the UK :mad: I'm sure there must be somewhere which is similar to the UK, but not as over-crowded.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
My choice would have been Switzerland...... stunning scenery and good quality roads.

But keep off the main passes :cool:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Corsican roads (West coast and West-inland mountain sections) are the best and most exciting driving roads I have experienced.
Probably not for those of a nervous disposition!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
everytime i drove down to my place in narjac, france, it is always a sheer pleasure...no traffic jams...very little road works..usually sunny..and always with the Floyd on !!

:) :)

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Hawaii (selected other as it's really not North America).

Big Island is the only place I know of with so many different terrains and conditions all in one place. Lovely, lovely scenery.

Downsides are one lane motorways and no Alfas to rent at the local Hertz :(

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I agree with Alfagi - Switzerland. I would have said Italy, but then you've got all those Italians on the road as well!!!:)

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I will tell you in three weeks time as I had Switzerland and maybe a bit of Italy to my list.
Definately ruled out so far are England, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, The canaries.
Still in the running are France, Germany (where else dare I try to max my GTA?:D ) and top at the moment Scotland, but only the Borders and the Highlands.:)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Maybe Morocoo, single lane roads, blind hairpins with 8000' drops and no guiderails, concentrates the mind wonderfully on the road, especially when you meet something coming the other way !

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Kevin Slegg said:
I agree with Alfagi - Switzerland. I would have said Italy, but then you've got all those Italians on the road as well!!!:)
So true :eek:

In the nicest possible way :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Germany it is for me. Loved driving there. I am off on a 5,000 mile motoring holiday soon in my Triumph TR6. Taking in the UK, France, Monaco, Switzerland and Italy - will be in a better position to comment when and if I get back. :cool:

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Best is the US...great driving roads on the Western and Eastern seaboards...interstates and motels in the centre...Next Spain, no traffic at all...you can go for miles on the new EU funded trunk roads without meeting another vehicle and those mountain passes......then France....but watch out for the Gendarmes..

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
Italy for me...

Go for a blat down the coast road from La Spezia to Genoa.. the autostrada hugs the coast line, zig-zags round bays and coves overlooking the bay of Genoa, disappears into and out of tunnels, many of them unlit and with blind bends halfway round.

All on a two-lane bit of black-top at 80 miles an hour...

Blinkin' brilliant!

Ralf S.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
France. Calais to Antibes in the South. Love it. Fast roads, not many filth, good services, [email protected] drivers. Italy has good drivers but the raods are awfull!!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Poland! Why? Because the police are easy to bribe when caught speeding....;)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Alfa20V said:
Poland! Why? Because the police are easy to bribe when caught speeding....;)
Somehow ... That's not suprising me :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Try the north coast of spain, around the 'picos de europa'. Great roads and stunning scenery - a bit tense in places though!

France takes some beating in my opinion, as you can make good progress there consistently.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
The only other country I have actually driven in is New Zealand - and it beats the roads here in the UK hands down.

They drive on the correct side of the road, the drivers have some concept of lane discipline, the roads are in excellent condition (amazing given the remoteness of some of the roads), the road markings and signposts are actually legible and sensible.

But none of the above is the actual reason I voted for NZ - it's the scenery. Stunning. Truly stunning.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I see F:land didn't make to the list :(

:p

;)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts