Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There I was my 1989 red 75 3 ltr v6 been sat in a dark and lonely car park awaiting some much needed TLC, Both clutch and valve seals blown on a fast run between Norwich and Cardiff, july 2003 resulting in a repair bill of over 1200 pounds... well not made of money, so it will become my project, MOT then ran out ,had to start pumping up the tyres every 3 weeks, wondering if I was ever going to get my love back on the road. got the money for a clutch in it went

Well get back from Christmas leave wander round to pump up the tyres with some exciting news for my baby, a detachment in foreign climbs would give me the money to fix her up and keep the wife happy a the samne time.
to find
In typical welsh... there was my car ..gone.

dam me if someone hadn't lifted her on to a flat bed and taken her to a scrappies in Bridgend.

Now the bloke has approached me and apologised. So i cant get him nicked for theft. This will make you cringe ..he cannot return the car because and I apologise for what I'm about to say they used a scrappies crane claw on the roof through the windows to lift it. result the Alfa definately wont be going back on the road.

He wants to give me money lets face it thats all he can do, has anybody any idea how much its worth for breaking. or just how much a runner(with minor repair) would cost.

PS wife now very happy because she gets all the money now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't get how it got on the truck or r why someone thought they could take it. I makes me agry just reading this. Explain

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
The best you can hope for is an average guide price for a runner (which is what it had the potential to become). I haven't looked at any guides but I think that you are talking 3 figures at the very best.

Ignore why someone has done it - if they are offering recompense then guide price is the best you can hope for even if you went down the legal path.

Paul.

W

·
0 Posts
Let me get this straight..a scrapper came along, and without permission or instruction from the council, took your car to be scrapped?

If this is correct, he committed theft, sod the apology!

Report it to the Police or at least get market value for the car as you intended to get it going and have just spent for a new clutch :mad:

wrinx

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Blackd0g said:
There I was my 1989 red 75 3 ltr v6 been sat in a dark and lonely car park awaiting some much needed TLC, Both clutch and valve seals blown on a fast run between Norwich and Cardiff, july 2003 resulting in a repair bill of over 1200 pounds... well not made of money, so it will become my project, MOT then ran out ,had to start pumping up the tyres every 3 weeks, wondering if I was ever going to get my love back on the road. got the money for a clutch in it went

Well get back from Christmas leave wander round to pump up the tyres with some exciting news for my baby, a detachment in foreign climbs would give me the money to fix her up and keep the wife happy a the samne time.
to find
In typical welsh... there was my car ..gone.

dam me if someone hadn't lifted her on to a flat bed and taken her to a scrappies in Bridgend. .
I saw a piece about this becoming more common in Practical Classics about a year ago - people taking non-runners to break/scrap.

Blackd0g said:
Now the bloke has approached me and apologised. So i cant get him nicked for theft.
He's a ****ing thieving gyppo **** - call the police.

They might not do anything, but log it as a crime, that should give you some leverage for legal action.

Blackd0g said:
He wants to give me money lets face it thats all he can do, has anybody any idea how much its worth for breaking. or just how much a runner(with minor repair) would cost.
He wants to give you a minimal sop to get you off his back so he can take anything of value off YOUR car & turn a little profit from his THEFT.

Don't give him the V5. Don't visit him alone

Take reputable legal advice - see how much you could get out of him.
Then screw him for all he owes.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
True. He has stolen from you. If he want to settle on your terms, fair enough. If he doesn't, let him know it will be his loss.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What a complete [email protected]££%$. Putting aside anger / indignation and all else: legally I imagine that you will succeed in getting what the car was worth when he 'lifted' it - things like how long it was out of MOT, how long had it been in the car park (was it private or council owned)/was it startable or driveable etc would be important. Sadly you cannot take into account potential value in this case.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just thinking, if you went the legal route, charge would most likely be theft and criminal damage, and he if found guilty would have to pay for cost of repairs because of said criminal damage.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
tell him you want £2000 or you're going to the police and reporting him for theft of a motor vehicle & criminal damage. then headbutt him.

W

·
0 Posts
Yeah, that'll work...he'll then ask for 3k or call the Police for a charge of GBH :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Hhmm, would I be right in thinking that you'd left the car in either a public or a private car park? Do you know if he had attempted to inform you that the car was going to be taken?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all,
here are answers to some of the questions.
The car was parked on MOD land, it was registered (as all vehicles have to be)with a valid car pass and sorn'ed. the valve seals had gone but it would start just blow lovely clouds of blue smoke out.

Every department on the unit who wishes to scrap a vehicle has to come through my office. that enables us to find the owners give 90 days notice to move. if we cant find the owners then another 90 days is given while we PNC/DVA the vehicle. If they cant find a registered owner the car then goes. We have taken all reasonable steps top identify an owner.

In all caes my Alfa was covered.

The bugger here is there was no intention to deprive me of it he thought he could take it which acording to the law counts as reasonable lawful excuse.

And he has admitted his fault to mne before I could caution him. so we can only look at recompense and a possible value.

Me i want the car back its the only car I've driven you can steer on the throttle??? but it cant happen its already top of a pile of others in Bridgend. or so I have been told.

What grips my S!"t is that breaking the motor up.. its all genuine Alfa Parts. Including the original British market only alloys.
and the fact that book price is about £500, cause I'll get that at the local vauxhall dealer he'll get that and more breaking it.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Thanks for answering my queries. Can you insist he repairs the damage he has done to the car?

W

·
0 Posts
Blackd0g said:
The bugger here is there was no intention to deprive me of it he thought he could take it which acording to the law counts as reasonable lawful excuse.
I still don't get this...what was he doing on MOD land?

Surely taking someone's property without their consent is depriving them, regardless of intention!

wrinx

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Blackd0g said:
Thanks all,

That's wrong - although there are crimes that do require intent I think you find that he 'intended' to take something that was not his which would mean its true owner was permantley deprived of it and 'intended' to scrap it - hence he is liable for theft and criminal damage. There is a defence that it was lost/abandoned property but I fail to see how or why, from the facts that you described, he should think the car was abandoned.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I must confess, I find this whole story a bit weird...is there something I'm missing?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds like you have got him, if you go down the legal road it will cost and he may not pay in the end. I would go for 500 and the car back. You maybe able to get a car with a good body and make one good car out of the two with a lots of part to sell/keep etc.

Sounds very sad though.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I too am confused as to how he thought he'd been given the car.:confused: :confused: :confused:

If that's really the case, then I'd guess you'll have to settle for some money, but I'd be sure to get the car back - the mechanicals should still be good. Then you just need to find a half way decent body to put them on.

You might have to take a bit of a hit on the cash, but as you say, if you sold the parts you'd probly make more than £500.

Presumably you know this guy, but it still sounds like he's taking the ****, so if I were you I'd want the car back - stops him making money out of it. Even if he only gave you a couple of hundred quid for trashing your car.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If he gives you monetary recompense he still has your car and will make money out of it.
I would ask book price for the car as a minimum, compensation for distress caused and request the vehicle to be returned, so at least you can get parts value from it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts