Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I recently talked one of my colleages into buying an Alfa Romeo. :D He found a gorgeous black 2001 156 SW selespeed - he's had it for a couple of weeks and is very happy with it.

I saw it for the first time today - and I noticed when idling that the selespeed pump was building up pressure now and then...around every ten seconds or so.... Haven't test driven it yet, and he hasn't told me of any problems - but this worries me cause mine doesn't do this.

Do any of you guys or girls have any opinion on this? Shold he be worried? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
I see that Hoygaard is on line, so he will probably give you the right answer. Mine was just based on logical thinking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Logical thinking is always good! wink

I'm worried that the pump might eventually fail because og all the "work" it has to do. And then there is the scary question of why it is loosing it's pressure... He still has a month or so of warranty, so it would be good to find out if this is going to be a problem.....

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Maybe even worse! If the selespeed can't build up enough pressure I can imagine it can't engage gear good enough and when the gear is not engaged good, the selespeed system tries again. With maybe as a result, not only a broken selespeed pump (or what ever is causing the problem) but a broken gearbox as well.

If I was the owner and still had warranty, I would go to the dealership as soon as possible.

Again based on the same principle wink

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I agree with you Hans, this aint normal. I wouldnt worry to much about the pump, but better find that small leak before it becomes a big permanent one, making gearchange and clutch disengage impossible. A long shot, there's a small reservoir accumulating pressure (black round thingy on top of gearbox), maybe it's faulty ?

Have it checked under warranty, ASAP.

Cheers

Hoygaard

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
An ss pump on its way out ! have it checked yesterday !!!! very costly error !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by rarebear:
<strong>An ss pump on its way out ! have it checked yesterday !!!! very costly error !!!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Which symptoms did you have? Same as my colleague?

G

·
Hi,

If the system looses pressure, fluid may be present around the pump, hoses or selespeed unit and underside of the gear box. Pay attention to hoses unions etc. (common failures)Look on your driveway or engine bay shield!

Check the Selespeed fluid reservoir level. If it low get it topped up.

Check for drips of 'red or pink' fluid! Get the leak fixed!

The system pressure could also be set high, a faulty pressure transducer or the solenoids in the fluid path could be bleeding pressure into the return circuit.

And yes it's frightenly expensive to replace components, my entire unit was changed 1 year ago due to multiple leaks, and cost in excess of 900euro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts