Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry:
On sat morn i opened my door(2002 147) and i heard the selespeed pump making a more than usual high pitch sound(sucking air). i opened the selespeed oil bottle to find that it was empty.
i topped it up and started the car, i then got a selespeed faliure warning, i tried to cycle through the gears with the engine off and it selected all the gears so i was happy about that.....
Went for drive and the error kept coming up ever 10 seconds or so beeping and carrying on.
The gears change fine most of the time but sometimes it drops into N.
the most annoying thing is the beeping though.
I opened the bleed valve and ran the pump, only oil came out of the system, no air that i could see.
So......
I think there is/was air in the system but i cant seem to get rid of the error and annoying beeps, it seems the system is picking the error up each time the pump trys to keep the pressure up(error goes and returns constantly).
The car still drops into N every now and then.
Can anyone help me pls.
I just want to know if the error has to be cleared for it to go away and if the examiner is needed to truely bleed the system.
Really worried cause when i phoned my dealer he said it sounds like the acctuator has gone/ water in it, which highly doubt cause it all started when the system sucked air.
Do the symptoms sound like air in the system ?

Thanks Guys
Craig

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Go to the post I mentioned to BF, print it off, you will then have that Bedtime Reading on Sele' diagnostics to Nod off to, watch out for the dreams tho'. Took ages on my old printer, suppose it can be transferred to a CD, but I don't know how.

·
Registered
84 Posts
firstly i am not an expert,(but not many alfa mechanics are either)

but i had the same problem with car dropping into neutral- the problem dissappeared after a while- that does not help you,
but i was also told it sounds like the actuator, i also was told that when my car could only find reverse i had no gears at all- got it towed and a second opinion a pump was stuck nothing wrong with actator- what i trying to say is do not except the first opinoin,they always blame the actator- davidc is the selespeed man on this forum seek his advice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm no expert by logic would say the first thing to find out is why is the fluid level down, then you're looking at what secondary damage the lack of fluid could have caused.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
If I am once more totally honest, Selespeed problems are beyond most mere mortals, unless they are of a fairly straight forward nature. DavidC gives first rate information on the subject, but it is such a complicated system, that I feel the only way to come to terms with it is primarily in a classroom, followed by hands on, including the use of the Examiner system. Certainly a very clever idea, but difficult for the likes of myself to relate to. Although certain regular faults, are most probably known 'In The Trade'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts