Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Jtd ploughed down a bank and over a 8 foot wall and landed on another one foot wall with the engine lifted up through the bonnet:wow:
The handbrake was on but gave out somehow! Nobody was hurt luckily, I was in the house eating dinner at the time:rant:

·
Administrator
86,623 Posts
:eek: Sorry to hear that :(

Always leave your car parked in gear & don't just rely on the handbrake as unfortunately your story isn't the first time I've heard of it happening.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Sorry to see that, looks pretty much a write off if the engine has taken a hit from below. Is it a 2.4 or a 1.9? You don't see many on the roads with steels & wheel trims.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
You mean it won't buff out?

My neighbour's Freelander did a runner down our forecourt a couple of years back. He was very lucky the spare wheel met a concrete fence post and stopped it, a foot or so to the left and it would have been down a couple of feet drop into another neighbour's garden. No damage to car or post. It could be the discs cooling down and the brake not applied hard enough; the contraction is enough to set the car free.

Tough luck, sorry.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You mean it won't buff out?

My neighbour's Freelander did a runner down our forecourt a couple of years back. He was very lucky the spare wheel met a concrete fence post and stopped it, a foot or so to the left and it would have been down a couple of feet drop into another neighbour's garden. No damage to car or post. It could be the discs cooling down and the brake not applied hard enough; the contraction is enough to set the car free.

Tough luck, sorry.
Yes sounds a plausible explanation, that will teach me to put it in gear next time.

·
Registered
26,114 Posts
That looks bad indeed....
I've come into the habit of parking in gear always to prevent the handbrake from freezing up in winter and to avoid occasions like the one that happened to you.

Sorry for you mate - and your wallet...

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
The handbrake on stuff with discs on the back that don't have a separate drum for the handbrake is generally rubbish. They are on the marginal side when absolutely brand new. Throw in a slightly sticky piston, and a bit of rust on the levers or cables, and they just aren't up to the job.

It's a pi$$er but at least nobody was hurt.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
If your driveway involves a relatively steep slope, might be worth investing in some sort of hump or ridge in it, help stop it happening along with a simple gear selection.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The handbrake on stuff with discs on the back that don't have a separate drum for the handbrake is generally rubbish. They are on the marginal side when absolutely brand new. Throw in a slightly sticky piston, and a bit of rust on the levers or cables, and they just aren't up to the job.

It's a pi$$er but at least nobody was hurt.
CroBaron - sorry to hear your news.

Keithyboy is most like right. I grew up with cr4p handbrakes - Alfasuds - so learnt to NEVER trust a car's handbrake.

It's easy to be wise after the event.

At least no one was hurt.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I've had this happen with the brakes cooling then the hand brake letting go.
Fortunatly its only tapped other car's that have been the same colour.

Also my handbrake in winter starts to freeze up so always left in gear now.
Its pretty much a habit and for what ever reason I actually didnt do it the once.

Still live and learn and no one was hurt. But it looks bad.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The garage phoned, its a right off and they said the courtesy car is ready for me now so asked if I could get the tow hitch off my car and they said yes. So got courtesy car and pulled tow hitch off when I was there.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I've had the cooling handbrake liberate my old 164 once...of course I usually park in gear but hadn't this time - makes you wonder how many times it would have been off if you hadn't left it in gear.

Sorry to see yours - waste of a good car.......:(

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had the cooling handbrake liberate my old 164 once...of course I usually park in gear but hadn't this time - makes you wonder how many times it would have been off if you hadn't left it in gear.

Sorry to see yours - waste of a good car.......:(
Same here I normally park it in gear, recently though I been letting the car idle for 10-30 seconds for the turbo oil to cool as it can damage the bearings in the turbo hence why I didn't have it in gear when turning the engine off.

·
Registered
26,114 Posts
That looks bad indeed....
I've come into the habit of parking in gear always to prevent the handbrake from freezing up in winter and to avoid occasions like the one that happened to you.

Sorry for you mate - and your wallet...
Forgot to mention: learned up in the Alps to also turn my wheels in to the kerb. That way, if anything lets loose, it will run into the kerb before gaining any momentum and stop...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
You never know they might do like what happened last time I wrote my car off and give me it back and give me a decent pay out! Fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts