Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps,
my glorious 147 silly went ping this morning,yep you guessed cambelt tensioner failed 2 days before I was going to change it.That will teach me to pull over for police blue lights. 5k before due, car has done 140 k . looks like i have all 16 valves f***** and valve guides cracked . Looks like a dirty weekend for me. I will keep you all posted on the repair.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
If you need a replacement head, give me a shout....I'm based in Waterfoot....

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I had same happen to me on motorway, not very nice when your stranded is it! The combustion chamber is pretty messed up from where the valves had hit it on mine and I don't know if it can be rebuilt!

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
you need at least new pistons (apart from the valves) they get hit on the edge and lock up the top piston ring,\
if you don't renew them the engine will drink oil if its out of fashion after rebuild

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers RG
picked up a head from chester on friday going to fit it over the next couple of days plus repl;ace shells, pistons seem ok , slightly marked but i think i will take risk......mmmm

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi peeps,
my glorious 147 silly went ping this morning,yep you guessed cambelt tensioner failed 2 days before I was going to change it.That will teach me to pull over for police blue lights. 5k before due, car has done 140 k . looks like i have all 16 valves f***** and valve guides cracked . Looks like a dirty weekend for me. I will keep you all posted on the repair.
How many times had you changed it before?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This will be the first time i have changed an alfa head , not to worried though, i have a tame mechanic who will get me out of the s**** if it hits the fan

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
you need at least new pistons (apart from the valves) they get hit on the edge and lock up the top piston ring,\
if you don't renew them the engine will drink oil if its out of fashion after rebuild
Thats not true.

It is possible, but not usual and quite unlikely.

As you should replace the big end shells anyway, you may as well pop the pistons out and inspect them but I will be amazed if this damage has occured.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have checked pistons no real damage to rings just a slight mark on top,also checked big ends they are not really damaged.... but i have replaced them .

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
I have checked pistons no real damage to rings just a slight mark on top,also checked big ends they are not really damaged.... but i have replaced them .
Yeah mine looked ok too, but for the money it's just not worth the risk is it? I am replacing the rings but TBH, only really becauseI broke one of the oil rings so thought what the hell, change them!!

Where are you getting your head from or are you reconning your old one yourself?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went to breakersyard pick head up for £150 +vat went to a yard in Chester to pick it up seems ok a few pit marks , should be ok .hopefully today going to fire it .
Not a good day to be stuck under the bonnet though.
will keep you up to date..................

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi peeps finally got it started at 5 last night , no problems apart from fan resistor had gone oc , just shorted it out for time being. a quick question should i re torque head bolts in a few days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts