Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the common problem with the red airbag light staying on and my local garage unable to cancel it out. I've been through all the posted questions and am guessing that either the ECU is fried (the car was jump started not long before the problem started) OR there are lose connections.

I'm trying to pinpoint which one it might be and wondered if anyone can shed some light on how best to do this without spending a fortune on a new parts.

Basically, the sequence of events is this:
When I start the car, the RED dash light comes on as does the YELLOW light on the speedo.
The YELLOW light then flashes for a good few seconds before going out, leaving only the RED light. (I'm not sure if the yellow light has always flashed for this long as I have never paid it that much atention.

Also, on two or three occasions, the YELLOW light has come back on again whilst driving and occasionally, the RED light flickers.

Any thoughts? I don't have AlfaDiag and want to try everything I can before forking out for the garage to play around.
Jeff

E

·
0 Posts
I don't recall the yellow light coming on other than the initial check, but my airbag light was intermittent and turned out to be a wiring fault with the rear airbags. Whether this is a common problem I don't know but the dealer diagnosed and fixed it in a morning, not sure how much as the car was under warranty at the time.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just a thought, is your battery a bit low? As the airbag warning light on a ford mondeo I had was on for 12 months before the battery finally gave up.New battery sorted the airbag light.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest, the battery is not perfect, but holds enough juice to start the car on even the coldest mornings

R

·
0 Posts
Low batteries can be a real problem for Alfa electrics. Get it checked out at your local kwik fit (they all do free battery health checks) and replace it if it's duff. You may find this improves things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today's Update. Since yesterday, the YELLOW flashing light on the speedo has come on and stayed on twice. This has only happened after about half an hour into a journey. Looks like something is heading for final failure. What does the YELLOW light exactly represent anyway??????

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
Is the yellow light for the front child seat airbag disable function?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
David C said:
I assume thats what he means, normal opertaion (EC Directive) is for it to flash for a few seconds then go out.

If the key has been operated to disable it, it stays illuminated.

I would change my battery - then get the Airbag ECU changed or repaired.

Has the car ever been crashed? there may be some crash data written in the ECU causing this behaviour.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. When it comes on after the half hour or so, it is flashing. The disable function with the key seems to be working OK.
The car hasn't been crashed since I've had it and this problem only started a few weeks ago. As I said, the battery went dead after being sat for a few weeks and the car was then jumped started. However, at the same time, the passenger seat was clunked around a lot at a visit to a DIY shop!

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
It does sound like the battery is on the way out.

Jump starting is a very bad idea, frequent ECU failings from that...

If you have a test meter, check the battery voltage after it has sat overnight, you want to see over 12.5V.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never even gave jump starting a second thought, but am well aware of the dangers now!!!!

So, if I replace battery, I might see the flashing yellow light disappear, but presumably, I'll still have to kill the red one using diag. As a side issue, I've just tie wrapped the connections under the seats to eliminate one more thing.

R

·
0 Posts
David C said:
Yellow light is the passenger airbag diagnostic light (similar to the red one but to distinguish where the fault lies) and yes it is also involved with the disable function. If there is a problem with the passenger airbag, the yellow light and the red light will come on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today's update!! I thought I'd read somewhere that temp may be an issue, so I drove for about 50 mins with the interior quite cool and the yellow light stayed off (red still on of course). I cranked up the temp (mostly heat to the footlwell, ie near ECU) and within about 3 mins the yellow light was flashing away. Hmmmmm. Will try the same thing tonight

R

·
0 Posts
The airbag ECU is in the centre housing where the gear knob etc is. the only ECU in the footwell (I think) is the Selespeed ECU

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Have you tried disconnecting the multiplugs under the seats and then re-connecting them? I've heard that can sometimes work.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It definately works on the 147, have had the same problem, just fiddled around with the multi-plugs under the front seats and problem solved, these connectors seem to be c...p!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts