Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I clocked up 160 miles being the family taxi.

I saw two gob-smacking bouts of driving:

1) An (and I'm sorry about this) Alpina 3-series overtook the traffic convoy I was in. Just before a blind bend, it pulled in front of me, then over took on the entry to the blind bend. There is no way he/she had any view as to what was coming.

2) Mondeo man. On the same road (different direction this time), he overtook and presented himself with two option: collide head on with the car coming the other way that had already gone into an emergency stop, or hit the back of me. In a rare moment of alertness, I moved as close to the left of the road as I could, leaving the moron some room to clear me and the car coming the other way.

We all make mistakes when we drive. That's when you put your hand up and apologise. But there are mistakes, and sheer and unforgivable recklessness that comes through stupidity. I think I was especially annoyed at this chap because I had my mum and my niece in the car at the time, and had he hit us...

Even the most placid and forgiving person, can help but fleetingly think 'if anyone deserves to get wrapped around a tree...'

Other observations - M4 packed; not been along it for ages but the traffic volume surprised me. Mobile phones; lost count of how many people still use them. Cars from Eastern Europe - guess many have moved on now, as I saw far less cars with Eastern European plates. Alfas - saw a beautiful GT in metallic blue, and a black 159 Ti (?). So the day wasn't all bad :thumbs:

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Sadly, I see bad driving like this all the time, as I use the M25 and M4 on a daily basis.

Give an idiot 3 lanes, and he'll use all 3 simultaneously, risking not only his life, but the lives of others, just so he can get 4 cars ahead of where he was before.

I am at a point now where I am so desensitised to the whole awful driving thing, that I can instinctively see a bit of shocking driving coming a mile off, act accordingly and move on, without so much as raising an eyebrow, or uttering a single "tut". :rolleyes:

As recently as 10 years ago, upon seeing the kind of things on the road I see every day now, I'd be waving my arms around, wide-eyed and shouting "ARE YOU SOME KIND OF MORON?!?!?" or, if there was someone else in the car, "OH MY GOD!!! DID YOU JUST SEE THAT?!?!?"

Such is the way of the world these days, unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I see this sort of thing quite often. It used to annoy me, but now I have accepted it is just part of driving and there is no point getting stressed because of others reckless actions.

The standard of driving in this country has declined dramatically in the last few years and you really have to have eyes in your backside to stay out of these idiots way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
There is a lot of bad driving around, I;m not perfect, but as I drive around 60-70 000 miles a year, I get to see quite a lot of bad driving, but I find now more and more I'm oblivious to it, I just let them get on with it

·
Registered
16,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't mind the rubbish drivers 'getting on with it' and posing a risk to me when i'm alone, but not when my family is in my car.

·
Registered
37,521 Posts
You need to spot 'em and dodge 'em! :thumbs:

Shrewsbury (or the eeejits in highways and transport) is in love with traffic islands and no-one can navigate one properly!! :tut:)

If I take the car the whole mile to work I can pretty much bet I will see at least one bad example of driving.

·
Registered
764 Posts
You need to spot 'em and dodge 'em! :thumbs:

Shrewsbury (or the eeejits in highways and transport) is in love with traffic islands and no-one can navigate one properly!! :tut:)

If I take the car the whole mile to work I can pretty much bet I will see at least one bad example of driving.
Only one? :confused:

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Well 40-odd years ago when I started driving my Dad told me to drive "assuming every other driver is an idiot" - which has largely kept me alive over the years.......the other thing is imagining that I might meet myself coming the other way.......:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Funny, my dad told me that too!

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
I find it hard not to react to others bad driving to be honest.

Others driving badly can make me frustrated and drive badly myself.

I have got better at relaxing and letting it go over my head, but occasionally another driver will do something that gets to me.

One the other day was I was coming up to a roundabout behind another car. I was in the left lane marked straight on and left.

The car in front turned left which slowed me down so the car behind decided to go into the right hand lane to go straight on and in the process overtook me and cut me up as we went into the single lane that was straight on. :rant:

Its a good job I was awake enough to slam the brakes on.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't know why but this kind of thing actually gets me upset rather than angry.
The other day I was coming to a junction as the lights changed and without any sudden or sharp braking I gently came to a rest at the line.
Then a big van came up behind me, went to my left and through the light to turn right.
The first vehicle about to set off from the other side of the junction was a police motorcycle who did nothing.
A Jeep came up to my left shortly after and didn't draw fully level with me, I assume they weren't sure if the gap (that the transit shot down) was wide enough.

I just sat there completely and utterly bemused. I mean, what do you have to do to get pulled over in this country!

In the same area a car squeezed me out (A prius!) and ended up knocking my wing mirror which snapped back.
Right next to a police car. As I passed the police car I wound down the passenger window and shouted, "did you see that?, did you see what he did!" After I'd pulled away the police car lights went on and it followed me round the corner.
Great, I thought, they're actually doing something.

No chance. They stopped by me, told me off for holding them up and sped off. I believe I told them to "****** off", I almost wanted to be pulled so the ridiculousness of what they'd done would come out. They thought I'd delayed them, so decided to delay even more by telling me I'd delayed them.

Morons. And morons with badges.

D

·
0 Posts
2) Mondeo man. On the same road (different direction this time), he overtook and presented himself with two option: collide head on with the car coming the other way that had already gone into an emergency stop, or hit the back of me. In a rare moment of alertness, I moved as close to the left of the road as I could, leaving the moron some room to clear me and the car coming the other way.
Wahey, that's just the way us Mondeo Men roll baby! :thumbs:

:lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts