Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Parking sensors on my GT.

I get no sound to say they are working, and seeing as I have never heard the sound it makes I do not know where the sound comes from either, I assumed, incorrectly, that it came through the stereo speakers and as the stereo doesnt work either then I thought that was the issue. But I have now found out that the sound comes from somewhere else.

Here is what I have tried so far.

1. Put the car in reverse and felt for a tingle and listened for a buzzing. All 4 do this, so it can't be the sensor itself.
  2. Checked under the bumper for the connections (See Image). Connections are in very good condition. Took them apart anyway and cleaned with contact spray.
  3. Pulled the carpet in the rear up and checked the connection there as well (see image). Once again, it was in good condition but I cleaned it anyway.
  4. Checked the reverse light. No faults there.

I haven't checked for a fuse because i don't know if there is one on these cars.
I havent checked the box/speaker that creates the audio noise as I don't know where this is; as I said before I assumed it came through the radio speakers. (Some help would be appreciated).

I read somewhere about a cable on top of the gearbox? Would this have something to do with it? I assumed that like most cars the connection must in some way be through the reverse bulb and when it lights it creates the circuit, or am I wrong?

Your genius is, as always, most welcome and appreciated.

Then we can get to the next job, working out why there is no sound coming through the speakers when the radio is on :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @pubsinger .

The more I look around the car the more I find bits of trim with missing screws that the previous owner hasnt bothered to reattach .. humph. It's something that really erks me. Found a bunch when i took up the rear carpet to find the other cable, now found one behind the ashtray of the rear window trim.

How much of the trim do I need to remove (see pic). Is it the whole lot that also surrounds the main column, or can I just pry off the centre area with the leather and arm rest with a plastic trim removal tool?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
IIRC it's almost directly behind the ashtray. I'm sure I didn't remove the whole panel, I couldn't find what was holding it. After removing all the screws I could see I was able to ease the top of the panel back far enough to get at the speaker.

Those pads on the seat belt are bling. :cool:

All the best, Pub

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mystery deepens.

So. Partially removed the rear passenger side (NS) card and I can see where the speaker for the sensors ought to be, but it's not there. I do notice that there is no ware around the clip locations which leads me to believe that the speaker was never there in the first place. Also there is no additional wiring for it to plug into, so this maybe a red herring and the speaker is located in the boot somewhere.

There is another thread where someone has kindly shown the location of their buzzer ..

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alf...29364-gt-parking-sensors-buzzer-location.html

.. which has been a great help, so use the above link and check out the images.

So, back to ripping up the carpet in the boot I guess.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm Sportwagon
5,856 Posts
If your car is a right hand drive then then it could be on the other side of the car?

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If your car is a right hand drive then then it could be on the other side of the car?

Sent from my SM-J7108 using Tapatalk

@paul.o thanks for that. I was about to check the other side when I decided to check under the floor lining of the rear NS wing and this is what I have found. (See Image).

Now I very much doubt that Alfa wired this ?!?! But if I am not mistaken the main white box is the control unit, and the yellow wire is what leads to the speaker, which i think has been disconnected and removed. I can only assume that the previous owner had disconnectet it for an aftermarket stereo system,which also explain the CANBUS error on the original Alfa unit that was reinstalled and possibly why that doesnt emit any sound through the CD or Tuner (though turns on and has the correct unlock code).

I am going to undo the electrical tape and see what horrors are underneath :)

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. Now we are getting somewhere!

Following the yellow wire brought me right out to the trim that follows the gutter line and there as bright as day is the bloody buzzer!! All other posts said it was in the boot somewhere so I stripped out the lining assuming it was underneath.

So.

In reverse the speaker flashers but still no noise. So now it could be what @pubsinger said about replacing just the speaker part. But first I need to find out how to take it apart. It doesn't rotate so i cant twist and pull. I fit my nail under it but it doesn't feel like a lever off unit. I need to investigate how to remove the plastic trim from the boot to see if it screwed under there in the same fashion as the ones that are underneath the rear door cards.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right.

Its an aftermarket unit and the original wiring loom has been pulled out and presumably thrown away.

There was some terrible splicing which I have removed and made safe.

So it looks like I will have to get a new sensor wiring loom and control unit, then remove the bumper and replace all the cables. I still don't know if the buzzer is at fault as well but I will replace it anyway. I will need to find one with its original wiring so it will connect to the control unit.

Hope this all helps someone who has the same problem with their sensors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts