Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'll fit Yellow Koni dampers on tuesday and I would better find out before tuesday how the rear dampers should be adjusted as they must be released to be readjusted.

So, what experiences do you have? I have a Q4 equipped with Eibach springs that I find really stiff. How hard set up do I need? The softer the better I think (for road purpose), but I want them hard enough to handle the Eibach springs.

/A

·
Registered
56 Posts
hi andreas ,
you know Im use yellow koni.
Im adjusted it like this ,
first turn it maximum hard and
turn one tour back.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you're right. I forgot you have yellow Konis on your car. But I suppose the Eibach springs I use makes big difference to the setup.

I chose a medium rear setup, 3/4 of maximum 1.5 revolutes. Later on, should have been before, I read the instruction saying that 0 is recommended for city traffic, ½ for normal driving and 1 for sporty driving.

From that information and the fact that maximum adjustment is > 2 for the front shocks, your set up would be sporty.

I tried both ½ and 0 on the front shocks and found 0 to be much more comfortable than the standard shocks meanwhile they offers well improved handling.

After extensive testing I found the car to be more neutral in handling now. In long corners (like one lap in a large roundabout!) it went from heavy understeering to neutral with slight oversteering. For the first time the rear wheels were "screaming" while accelerating in a long corner. Cool - and fast.

Also in dynamic behaviour it improved, as expected. The rear end felt less light and not "reactive" as before. In rapid manouvres like combinations of several corners close to each other it turned in good without swinging its ass as a samba dancer. Fra better than before.

Conclusion: Sport dampers (hard in rebound) is a must with progressive sport springs, like all lowering kits for thr 155. No doubt.

G

·
I've got some Pi -40mm springs but before I fit them I am considering replacing my standard shocks with some uprated ones to kill two birds with one stone. Which should I go for?

G

·
Hi Andreas,

Sorry, I'm not able to help with Koni's issue. My car is still standard on that matter.

But I need some advise from you:

I remember a couple of months back you told us about your Q4's new chip. Could you please let us know your experience with your current chip, performance and how much boost is allowing???

As you can imagine, I'm thinking in changing mine!

Thanks a lot!

Juan
Q4

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Juan,

Interesting you are bringing up that topic now. Well, I tested a chip from Evolution Engineering (www.evocars.com) and it was very promising. But it was a Evo2 chip so it didn't include the immobiliser code and it was totally off when starting from cold engine. Yes I know, the old GTA twinsparks had to be started on one set of plugs and when the engine was warm enough they stopped it and changed for race plugs. But I don't want to switch between theese chips all the time.

Barry and Paul from EE was actually here some weeks ago and I tested another chip based on the 101.05 code (1996) and they promised me to load their maps into that chip once back in London. Unfortunately they don't seem to fix it. I have a bunch of codes for both Lancias and Q4s and I realise it is a hard job fixing it. They are completely different. I also work on it when I have time, but I don't have too much of that.

So. With your car, which is not a 1996 car if I don't remember wrong, I could recommend the chip from EE (250 hp, 390 Nm, 1.45 bar max boost, 20% lower fuel consumption). To get maximum performance and reliability it is recommendable to uppgrade the turbo (compressor) slightly.

Anoher good alternative is the Squadra chip. My impression after some mail correspondence is that Mr. Lenoir really know what he is talking about and his customers seems to be satisfied. But his chip does not improve fuel consumption. It rather gives a slight increase in thirst. What is really good with it is that it is just within the margins that the turbomanufacturers recommend.

There are chips you can get for free if you just want to burn rubber. But most of them are not so clever written. The best freeware you can get is HFAlex's 101.05 chip and it can be transformed into a 10103 or 101.04 if you work on it. See http://digilander.iol.it/hfalex/index2.htm

I guess this discusion isn't finished by this ....

/A

G

·
Thanks a lot for the inputs, Andreas!

Yes, you remember well.My Q4 is model year '92 with 210 bhp from factory .

Anyway, I will send an e-mail to Barry and see if this time we could match with my ECU's number. Last time my car was not able to read the file from Evocars chip.

When you mentioned that the turbo should be upgraded...what are you meaning?? to altere the setup of the turbo actuator (wastegate) or to change the turbo???

BTW, I 'm always interested in trying to find out the best way to modify the actuator to allow higher boost. As far as I know, the ECU is unable to handle more than 1.2 bars with the original wastegate setup.

Cheers from Buenos Aires

Juan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.. and now I remember more.

I would be really interesting to take a look at the factory made 210 hp code .... if you have any possibility to read the code to a file.

I do think EE has sorted out the chip for the older Q4:s now. At least it works for the 101.04 (94-95), as I know it has been tested.

What I mean when I say the turbo rather should be updated I mean the norm for turbo manufacturers/dealers is that maximum capacity is defined at the point where the compressor efficiency falls below 70%. I.e. 30% of the work is transferred into heat. One might handle the problem with larger IC, as the Lancia has from factory, but more preferrable is to extend the range of the compressor. (and by that its life!) A Garrett TB0367 has a turbine capacity of 300 hp and a compressor capacity of 235 hp. To increase the compr. capacity one can simply exchange the compressor house (Trim60 => 300 hp) or make a flow prep, like when you port a cylinder head, and by that extend the capacity to 260 hp. Both alternatives are quite cheap.

I don't know if your hypothesis about the wastegate and its actuator is correct, but I know it is calibrated at 1.2 bar. Then the ECU limits the boost to 1.5 bar, indebendent of the chip (I suppose).

All the best

A

G

·
Thanks, Andreas!

I'm talking from what the dealer here in Argentina told. There were two kind of Q4's they used to import to Argentina (pls, note that the cars have never been imported through FIAT but directly through dealers and importers). Some with 190 CV and others with 210 CV. Difference in performance was very noticiable. I'm not so aware of the differences among these models, but it seems that Alfa made them 'randomly', being the first series aparently the most powerful ones...maybe is true, who knows.

If I could I will try to see if possible to check the original file of my Q4.

But what I truly can say is that my car with Evocars chip fitted was unable to accelerate even over 0.6 bars. Used to a car with such a grunt I feel at least dissapointed, but the problem was not a bad written chip but a non-compatible one. That's why I will try again with Barry, who is really a good man and knows his business well enough.

Interesting your point on Turbo efficiency & upgrade.

As for the wastegate actuator, we'll see if I can find more accurate information. But I learned that its a normal mod for increasing boost.

All the best

Juan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I didn't notice you replied.

Well, 0.6 bar is the base boost of the Q4. If you disconnect the Pierburg valve at the top of the radiator you get a maximum boost of 0.6 bar as it is the boost pressure an uncontrolled turbo gives. So it is abvious that your ECU and Barrys chip have an obvious problem in their conversation.

/A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts