Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've this yearning for a few years, and although I've come close on a couple of occasions, I've never actually done anything about it. I'm posting on here to get some advice / encouragement / words of wisdom, or maybe even someone saying "don't do it, you'll spoil the memories".

The very first car I owned was a 1979 Alfasud Super 1.5, followed by a 1983 Sprint, followed by a 1982 Alfasud Ti. I totally loved these cars, and even drove the Sprint all the way to the south of Italy ( and back ) with the oil pressure warning light on for the entire journey, but was tempted away by a 1985 Scirocco Storm which I acquired almost free. I came back to the fold with a 1996 GTV, followed by a 1996 164 3.0, and finally a 2002 156 GTA which I have owned from new and am still driving.

Some years ago I test drove an Alfasud, and was somewhat shocked by how heavy the steering was ( I think I've been somewhat molycoddled of late ).

I would want a Sud Ti, with the round headlights, and a hatchback with that small black spoiler on it. Not sure if this would be a 95bhp model or a 105bhp model, and what the differences would be between them. If I did buy one, I'm presuming that I'd have to keep it in a garage. Also, what could / should I do to it to improve the driving experience. One option is to keep it original, but I'd probably like more power and if possible lighten up the steering in some way, but I'd stop short of trying to add air conditioning :) .

I'm sure I can't be the first person whose gone back to the 'Sud's of his 20's, and it would be good to get some buying advice, or even some "don't buy" advice.

Thanks.

RG

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hello RG,

Well interestingly I can say that I seem to be in a similar mold to yourself. I drive a 156 JTS (would love a GTA but her indoors is having none of it, though I'm not sure she would even know unless I told her it was a very powerful car - shes a bit of a Sunday driver). Since 2000 I had been threatening to buy another Sud as I had them up until 1996 and loved them, there's nothing like it.

Well I was promised we could have one when we moved out of London and had somewhere to store it (for obvious reasons). So in 2004 when I aquired said garage I bought one of the last Suds an 84 TI Greencloverleaf. It had been off the road since 1988 when the engine blew - when I bought it the engine was in the boot. That said bodywork was excellent (for a Sud) with all the usual places totally solid (inner wings rails & windscreen surrounds etc) but of course needed some work. I have spent a small fortune (full engine rebuild and rear arches, back panel, hatch, full respray etc etc). In hind sight I don't regret doing it, but would recommend to you to get the best one you can find without having to restore - let someone else do that and buy from them! These cars are really becoming scarce, I think mine looks nearly new and it's great to see some of the reactions - you just don't see them on the roads any more. I have to say whilst the modern cars are great for reliabilty and comfort I love to hear that popping spitting boxer engine it's great - verdict: make sure you can keep her in a garage and do it!!!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
but would recommend to you to get the best one you can find without having to restore - let someone else do that and buy from them! These cars are really becoming scarce,
Good advice.:p

I too loved Alfasuds as a teenager but could not afford one then. I now have three Alfasuds.:wow:

1. A 1978 Alfasud 1.3Ti. (Series 1)
2. A 1981 Alfasud Sprint 1.5 Veloce
3. A 1983 Alfasud 1.3Ti. (Series 3)

My 1983 Alfasud is for sale for €5,500. The car is fomerly UK but now based and registered in Ireland.;) Picture below at the 2006 Mungret Car show where it won first prize in the post war saloon category.:inlove:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hi,

Sounds just like me last year, after being sud-less for a number of years I just had to get one again. Now I have a series 3 green cloverleaf and a series 1 Ti and am still sure I made the right choice.

My series 3 is not on the road as I have two new genuine front wings to put on it first ( the old ones are suffering from small dents ) then its getting a full respray. I have a 1.7 8 valve engine with twin 40 dellortos to put in there and then Im modernising it with central locking, leccy windows, sound proofing and my main passion..a top notch audio system, quality based, NOT a look how many speakers I can fit in my car type system. Cant wait to get it done.

My series 1 Ti is another story all together, there I am looking for the wings for my series 3 and the guy says to me " dont suppose you would be interested in a series 1 Ti " and I thought to myself nah not really, trying to sort out one Sud is enough....then he tells me it is mint with only 22,000 miles...Plane ticket booked, saw car, bought car, drove about 400 to 500 miles home, happy out.

All I can say is if you can find a good one go for it, there is no other small car of that generation that is as good to drive, sounds like only a little alfa boxer can and still looks modern today. The amount of people that ask me about my series one when Im at a petrol station or a carpark is crazy, most of them ex Sud drivers who have nothing but fond memories of driving bliss that they miss in thier modern cars.

Defo go for the 105 Hp model if you can as these little cars can take so much more. Having said that one of the best features for me of the series 1 is its lack of power as it allows me to really push the car on but stay within the law. Unbelievable how much driving pleasure you can have with 68 BHP. As for the power steering issue I have never drove a Sud modified with it but I would guess it would take away some of that amazing feel the Sud gives through the steering wheel.

My brother has a GTV V6 and as much as he loves it he still gets more enjoyment from thrashing around in his 1.7 sprint veloce, so thats another endorsement for you.

The downsides, keeping rust at bay, so like you said a garage, getting parts and the time to look after them properly.

Hope I didn't go on too much but thats what suds do for me, like a classic car mag once said about a Sprint " its prozac on wheels "

Cheers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It looks beautiful! Any idea where I can get some replacement front lights (I know they are like rocking horse........) but your's look like new?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Oh look, while I was typing that Alfaguy posted, thats who I bought my series 3 from, maybe you should check out the one he has for sale as I would guess its even better considering he sold me mine to get it :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm right with you Sudsonic! Some people just don't understand. I was due to go shopping last weekend with my wife and her sister. As the weather was looking ok in the morning I fancied a quick run in the Sud. It was on the drive when my wife's sister turned up - you know what she said - we're not going in that are we? I said it's not a question of you not wanting to go in it, more like I'm not allowing you in it as you can't appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
if you see an opportunity grab it because a million people enjoyed alfasud new and now there is only a handfull left
you can always buy a 33, especially if you are talking about power steering???:confused:

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
i love the sud tis i would have one tomorrow if i could get one ,i used to have a blue mk2 sud ti and at the time i was seeing a au pair girl from abroad and i used to pick her up in my nova gte that i had then got the sud ti and she hated the sud ti but it didnt bother me and the looks from people i used to get as i went past them at 100 on the motorway.:D .
p.s my sud was fitted with a 1.5 ti engine with different cams and ported heads and it used to fly i used to embarress much newer cars.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
and that steering is only heavy when youre parking after all
Yeah. Inflate the tyres, don't fit a smaller steering wheel, and if the steering is still too heavy that's cos it's saving your tyres. If you park by turning the wheel only when the car is moving, you won't be straining your arms OR scrubbing one patch of your front tyres off. =)

·
Registered
895 Posts
If the steering wheel seems too heavy, try replacing the front McPherson strut bearings. It is amazing how much lighter the steering wheel gets with fresh bearings.

And if you want a smaller wheel i would suggest using one from a Sprint. It is only about an inch smaller with a leather rim for better grip and looks similar to the original one of the Sud, which can then be turned into a room ornament.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, the consensus is that I should get one :)

There's one on the AROC classifieds at the moment, £350 for an "unfinished restoration". Given that I wouldn't plan on doing any of the work myself, I'd assume that would an extremely costly way to proceed. I also note the post above where a 1.3 is being sold ( bit too far away for a first look, although it does look VERY nice ).

I think my next steps are to fix the garage roof, and then have a major clearout of the garage, so that I can actually convince my wife that we have got room for it and that it's a good idea. I'll also need to find a good place for her tumble drier, but I don't think that's a major issue.

So other than on here, Ebay and AROC classifieds, does anyone know a good place to look. Also, if I did end up buying a wreck, does anyone have any recommendations for someone to "sort it" for me ?

Thanks

RG

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have bought all of mine for around that money (£300),
and if you cant do the work yourself i would imagine it would work out Very Expensive...
as someone said before let someone else do the work then buy it from them.

i think good Ti`s (as opposed to fully restored or concours) fetch between 2-3k at the moment

good luck with the plan chap :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh yes, yes, yes! Last year I bought a Sud Sprint 95hp and thrashed it for 5 weeks. It was the most fun you can have with clothes on. The boxer was like a 'happy pill' and the styling was great. Light, easy to steer and still kept up with city and highway traffic. Saw an Alfasud for sale around the same time, the owner mumbled something about her son not liking it and so I bought it and thought it might be useful for parts. They are great cars, as long as you can deal with the idiosyncracies that they have, if you can, then no worries.

·
Registered
225 Posts
They are great cars, as long as you can deal with the idiosyncracies that they have, if you can, then no worries.
Might be a daft & obvious question, but what are the idiosyncracies of a Sud? I've settled for a 75, but certainly wouldn't rule out trying a Sud in future...

·
Registered
895 Posts
- Heavyish steering wheel -but you won't believe how informative it is.
- Gearbox with a "vague" sense and crunching 1st and 2nd gear, unless properly maintained/restored.
- Front inboard brakes don't like floods and the calipers need looking after.
- Handbrake applies to the front wheels and should be used sparingly because it may jam the calipers (see 3).
- Strange italian-ape style driving position, but if you get used to it it is like driving a cart.
- Carbs will go out of tune after some months and will need balancing, which will be difficult if they are old and jammy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts