Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got sent this, so I'm not vouching for its accuracy, but it appears that the third fastest growing brand in the UK in 2011 is Alfa Romeo - 60% increase in market share compared to last year.

Not bad.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Good news indeed. Though just to put a slight dampener on it, when volumes are so low its quite easy to get massive % jumps (or indeed falls) with relatively few extra (or less) sales.

Still, all good. I was reading Alfa had best sales in 1Q in France for 25 years.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, although it works out at about 14 extra cars per day, which isn't bad.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
True, although it works out at about 14 extra cars per day, which isn't bad.
How will the italians cope:lol: less time for meatballs and wine:eek:

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would say a lot of the increase has been the fact that Giullietta has been a major success in the fleet market. Certainly in its class, Alfa have been delivering cars reliably.

I heard recently that an Audi A3 ordered for fleet in October 2010 has been given a delivery date of September 2011, wheras a Giulietta is apparently do-able in 8 weeks, it is a case of meeting demands, even if as is said it is small volume.

Thats why we love them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Alfa UK sales for March were 2,269; an increase of 66% on March 2010s' figure of 1,364.

Fiat continue to suffer a post-scrappage hangover, selling 8,509 (10,709 in March 2010).

Chrysler and Jeep are in the toilet with 125 and 335 respectively.

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
So 1Q sales figures are out. Alfa has sold 39,964 cars and is up 49.4%

If that pattern was repeated it would lead to 160,000 sales which is on target IIRC

·
Registered
618 Posts
Alfa UK sales for March were 2,269; an increase of 66% on March 2010s' figure of 1,364.

Fiat continue to suffer a post-scrappage hangover, selling 8,509 (10,709 in March 2010).

Chrysler and Jeep are in the toilet with 125 and 335 respectively.
If only alfa could realistically dissassociate themselves from fiat...

About the lead times on the audi a3 being so long, true. I was quoted January back in July for their "black edition" (not that special). A relatively boggo "sport" was 4 months. Ridiculous.:tut:

N

·
0 Posts
I find it astonishing that Alfa can shift x10 as many cars
in france (a country with almost zero every-day "car culture")
compared to the UK were many more people are what
I would categorise as "petrolheads".

What the hell is up with that!?! :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Is it the british motoring press having some influence? What are the French press like regarding Alfa?

N

·
0 Posts
From what I've read they're quite agnostic.

Up until quite recently it was almost frowned upon to
do head-to-head comparisons or slag off any products.
Especially on TV.

This is slowly changing but they are quite muted in
their criticisms. Although the last piece I read about
Alfa trumpeted the change in MiTo suspension that they
had criticised here.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The French are no way near as desperate to "keep up with Jones'" as we in Britain are. So over here you get people driving expensive cars, not because they are petrolheads but because spending a large amount of (borrowed) cash on a brand makes them feel better about their empty lives. Bling is king, not taste or interest in cars.

Having lived in France the issue with having and caring about a "nice" car is that, as Nev says, most other people really don't care about it. Expect it to be bumper-bumped out of the way to park, or people to use your car as a door-stop in car parks.

On the other hand, if they do care about cars, maybe they are not quite as shallow as us Brits and easily swayed by a vapid press?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Interesting that of the two marques above Alfa on the list, Infiniti are new to the UK market, so of course they will have a big percentage increase, and Saab have released their first new cars in a very long time, accounting for their increase.

The bigger challenge could be next year, now that the Guilia is being delayed, and the Guilietta is no longer new. Alfa SUV to the rescue??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts