Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all a grea big thanks to AO. You have been my star through all the darkness. Rays of hope where there has been piles of *****.

Anyway...

Yay! The old girl finally passed her MOT (headlamps fitted correctly, few new bushes & a tyre later)

Boo :cry: she's been idling a bit funny and drinks a lot of coolant & oil (ok the latter two perhaps a long standing issue)

I hooked her up to my scan tool and she has a stored code :confused::
"P0115 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Malfunction"

I don't want to change the ECT sensor willy nilly (and wouldn't have a clue where to find it) as I fear that may not be the correct answer.

I know the oil consumption is a usual thing for my 147, but drinking coolant like there is no tomorrow and now the funny idle - any ideas what this could be?!

I just wish I was a mechanic :lol:

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Karen :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
P0115 sounds like the temp sensor on the side of the thermostat, what is the gauge in the car doing?

Are you able to quantify the oil & coolant consumption e.g. L/1000 miles?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P0115 sounds like the temp sensor on the side of the thermostat, what is the gauge in the car doing?

Are you able to quantify the oil & coolant consumption e.g. L/1000 miles?
Thanks for replying.

The gauge on the car sits around 90 (around 50 until it gets going). I will try and monitor it live on a 10 mile run later.

How would I quantify the consumption, can I get this back from my scan tool somehow if I do it on a live run? Not dabbled with the scan tool much yet.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just roughly how many litres of oil/coolant are you using over 1000 miles or less as the case may be?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Hmmm without jumping to any conclusions the oil thing if you switch to a thicker weight will help consumption.
The coolant is more of a worry. Is there any leaks?
Ie once you move the car away is there a pool left behind or a few drips?

Might be one of the clips has come undone or is not longer sealing.
Well thats what I hope it is.

Otherwise the water is going somewhere - espcailly with a dodgy idle would suggest something more sinister like head gasket is on the way out. But you'll notice this as the temperture guage will obviously shoot up very quickly. But I am not going to jump to take conclusion.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I agree exactly with scottyf, the coolant is going somewhere which is either an external leak or internally into either the oilways or cylinders.

A mayonnaise like deposit around the dipstick and/or oil filler cap would indicate a head gasket leak between oiland water channels or a cracked block, as would oil on the water expansion tank. If it's leaking into the cylinders a compression or sniff test would help confirmthings but it would also be worth pulling out each of the spark plugs and looking at their condition.

This chart may help: MudInMyBlood Forums Spark Plug Color Chart

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.

I get the impression its probably sinister!

I will do a thorough look through it but as far as I can see it doesn't leak onto the ground - no drops even. I thought that was good thing but now you say loss of coolant and no leak is prob a bad thing :-(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could anyone please give me a hand working out what I should put in mine. Its a 147 2.0 Lusso 52-plate. Just wondered. I always put in 5w-30 fully synthetic but I do wonder if this is not right. Depending who I speak to it varies. The manual gives two options, it came as 5w-30 so I stuck with that. I might drain her and put 10w40 part in. Realistically I don't have a clue with oil so any help appreciated again.

Haven't had chance to run a live run analysis so have no results to discuss yet. I have a 16mo daughter and its hard finding a moment.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
10w-40 SAE is recommended (Semi Synth)
5w-40 SAE is better for cold starts
10w-60 SAE is better for oil consumption (Thick oil) - I use this now that my last TS engine suffered with big end failure.

5w30 is actually very thin and although will work TS engines tend to eat it up due to the tolerances. So alot of it is burnt very quickly. Not saying this will be the case with your engine but a general notion is its too thin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks scottyf.

I thought 10w-40 semi sounded better than my current 5w30 fully. I have to park on the road so I have no desire to do it myself, but I do want to flush it through. Will ask around and see who comes up with a decent price.

Anyone know anywhere with a good deal on a big boy of 10w-40 semi atm?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Opieoils.com
usually do deals and also as an Alfa owner member you can get a discount on top.
They tend to have a wide range to choose from.

Other than that there will be about a fiver in it from Halfords or local motor shops. Support your Indies though :)

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks scottyf.

I thought 10w-40 semi sounded better than my current 5w30 fully. I have to park on the road so I have no desire to do it myself, but I do want to flush it through. Will ask around and see who comes up with a decent price.

Anyone know anywhere with a good deal on a big boy of 10w-40 semi atm?
If you want to flush it through and you don't want to DIY, get a fast fit garage to do a simple oil and filter for you. Then run that for a few weeks, and get them to do it for you again.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Don't worry too much about the oil until you get the coolant leak sorted. Get a decent garage to check the cooling system for leaks - they should pressure test it to see where the coolant pours out under pressure. Don't even mention head gasket to them in case they try and take advantage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts