Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Im working in Vegas for 4 months and thought I's miss the Brera...

I do, but her replacements will suffice - a 3.6 V6 Dodge Challenger AND a 3.7 V6 Mustang Convertible!

And work is paying for it all!

:D

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I had a Dodge Challenger when I was working in Arizona for a time. Not fast in the European sense (which is just as well as I was terrified of getting pulled over by the American cops), but heaps of 'road presence', and it suited the 55mph limits.

:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
V6's in the USA are 4 cylinder cars here. I have not had many none V6's cars whilst holidaying the USA.

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
I got a V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse a few years back when on holiday in the US - it was absolutely gutless.

I don't know what they do to their engines over there, but I'll be aiming for a V8 minimum next time I go!

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Dave, that would have been very good I suspect :) :thumbs:
It was! Lovely V8 rumble at low speeds, turning into a howl when you floored the accelerator, accompanied by a very rapid increase in speed. Handled pretty well too, although I was always conscious of the fact that it was a big heavy car; the rather slow turn-in was more than compensated for by having enough power to more than kill any tendency it may have had to understeer.

It attracted attention everywhere we went; one of the best was the driver of an ancient Buick who walked up to it, asked "Is it fay-ust?", spotted the Hemi badge on the bonnet & said, before I could reply: "Yup, it's fay-ust!". Just how fast I can't really say - I believe it may be capable of at least 135 mph, verified by SatNav . . . not that I'd ever do such speeds . . .:cool:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I got a V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse a few years back when on holiday in the US - it was absolutely gutless.

I don't know what they do to their engines over there, but I'll be aiming for a V8 minimum next time I go!
A large part of the issue is that their petrol is nowhere near as refined as ours. Standard RON in the US is about 87, and if I remember rightly, Super is about 93RON (my Brera would turn it's nose up to all of that cack!).

The result (as I understand it) is that the engine cannot use anywhere near as much ignition advance without knocking (premature detonation). Less ignition advance means lower efficiency and lower power, even though the actual calorific content is the same. So you don't get as much power from, say a V6, but you're still lugging about all the weight of that engine - so power to weight ratio really suffers. Plus the Americans are generally not down with the concept of lighter = better, they go with bigger = better, so the cars themselves are rarely light in the body, compounding the problem.

The other issue is their manufacturers don't seem to be great at tuning production cars for power, though some of this must be due to the above RON issue.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Sorry mate you are a little misinformed about US octane ratings. We use RON to rate the octane and they use AKI.

Their fuel is the same as ours ;)

Their engines are just a little more relaxed at work. Tune them and they will often walk all over ours. Viper as an example :)

RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What do you do that makes it necessary to be given 2 V6 cars?!

Superb.
:D

Well, they're not both for me, it's 2 between 3 of us, but still! We have a deal with the hire company so that work only pays a flat fee, regardless of what car they give us. A few good words (in a charming British accent, of course) and a slab of beer and hey presto!

We did have to put up with a Nissan Altima and a Chrysley Sebring for a few days though. Utterly terrible!

I filled up the Mustang and used V-Power, rated at 93.

It certainly gives a few smiles when entering a freeway and your getting close to the red line!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
SoTheir fuel is the same as ours ;)

RON Octane Rating x 0.95 = AKI Octane Rating
98 RON Octane x 0.95 = 93.1 AKI Octane (US measure)
100 RON Octane x 0.95 = 95 AKI Octane (US measure)
Well ok, but at the pumps over there (I've been about 15 times) the standard unleaded usually says 87 (I think I've seen 85 too). So if that is 87 AKI Octane, that would be 87 / 0.95 = 91.5 'UK' RON whereas over here our standard unleaded is 95 RON.

I also recall that at most US pumps I visited, the highest Octane available (Super Unleaded) was 90 Octane, which is equivalent to 95RON - the same as our standard unleaded.

That means US engines have to be mapped to cope with a significantly lower standard RON, right?... That means less power.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
You are correct they have 4 octane rated fuels I think, two of which are less than 95 and two that are equivalent to 95 and 98 or there about.

I believe (don't quote me) and was told the two lower octane rated fuels are sea level dependant. If for instance you live high in the Rockies then the engine draws in less air mass due to the reduced density of the air or something which results in less petrol required and reduced compression. A 95 RON car will therefore run as well on less octane.

I have not been to the States since 2008 but I went to Florida at least 15 times myself :embarrassed smiley:, my daughter and Ex loved the place and in fact have been to Vegas once and Florida twice in the three years we have been separated. I have visited several other States too and can't remember what I have seen where :confused:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Nothing wrong with Florida - perfectly suited to a holiday with kids! We'll be going this November.

No I can't remember what I saw where either. I've driven New Jersey, Hawaii, Florida, LA to Vegas... if I remember rightly I sometimes found higher Octane available in Joisey...

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Nothing wrong with Florida - perfectly suited to a holiday with kids! We'll be going this November.

No I can't remember what I saw where either. I've driven New Jersey, Hawaii, Florida, LA to Vegas... if I remember rightly I sometimes found higher Octane available in Joisey...
We did Vegas to LA. That same trip we drove to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon from Vegas. Great holiday and fantastic drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts