Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I would like to get Xenon lights fitted to my Mito...Anyone got any recommendations.

I don't really want to be paying an arm and a Leg.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Yep the MiTo comes with projector lens...so it is almost the same as OEM HID.

You can get any HID kit, but go for better quillity 4300K or maximum 5000K kits...they should cost around 100-150euro.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Hids4U are well respected in the land of Plug 'n' Play kits.

As said above, 4300k will give a whiteish light. The higher you go, the bluer the light. You will think you can see better with a bluish light but it is a trick on your eyes as they are more sensitive to blue light.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
G

·
All the current range are "projector" style aren't they?

Does that mean anyone wanting Xenon headlights
can now just forego the €1000 option and just stick some
new bulbs in and a attach them to a box-of-tricks for
less a couple of hundred?

:confused:

·
Registered
848 Posts
But they still wouldn't have headlight washers or the auto-levelling motors or sensors, so technically it would be against transport regs. The projector design also wouldn't be optimized for xenon burners so there could be glare for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
But they still wouldn't have headlight washers or the auto-levelling motors or sensors, so technically it would be against transport regs. The projector design also wouldn't be optimized for xenon burners so there could be glare for oncoming traffic.
My 156 has headlight washers and it didn't come with Xenons? There won't be anywhere near the glare there would be with a reflector based headlight. Some halogen projectors work very well with plug n play HID kits. Don't forget, they still have a beam mask. Only way to find out is to try.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yup, my previous 147 also had headlight washers with halogen bulbs. Unfortunately that's not enough for a road-legal xenon setup.

The key is the auto-levelling system - on a Mito with factory xenons, the beams move up and down on startup, some kind of diagnostic I guess. The levelling motors keep the lights level based on sensors in the front and rear bumper. Without them, your lights could blind oncoming drivers if there's a crest or bump on the road.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yup, my previous 147 also had headlight washers with halogen bulbs. Unfortunately that's not enough for a road-legal xenon setup.

The key is the auto-levelling system - on a Mito with factory xenons, the beams move up and down on startup, some kind of diagnostic I guess. The levelling motors keep the lights level based on sensors in the front and rear bumper. Without them, your lights could blind oncoming drivers if there's a crest or bump on the road.
The motors don't react fast enough for bumps in the road, they are only there to adjust the stance of the car based on the suspension load. IE if you have to fat people in the back seat, the front points up so the sensors would adjust the headlights to point down.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The motors don't react fast enough for bumps in the road, they are only there to adjust the stance of the car based on the suspension load. IE if you have to fat people in the back seat, the front points up so the sensors would adjust the headlights to point down.
Quite right. If people thought about the rear load of their car and adjust the height manually (as I do) then we wouldn't have this problem. And I'm always cleaning the lights in these wintery conditions to ensure max light output and reduce any possible glare.

The good thing about the new HID systems it that they don't require the battery connection and if you're up for an MOT you can quickly stick the halogens back.

However what really annoys me is when HIDs have been used on non projector lenses, so much glare and look rubbish!

So mrobins64495, go for it but get OEM colour 4300k-5000k.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone!

Quick (sort of :) ) question.

The HIDs I ordered arrived and tried to install them. FYI they are 55w.

As soon as I installed them, one side blew the fuse but the other didn't (no issue here). After I turned them off and back on, both fuses blown (I replaced the burnt one from earlier).

My questions now:

1. If I get a 35w ballast, would that go easier on the fuses and stop blowing them?

2. (Not going to do, but just asking) What about replacing the 7.5A fuse with a 10A one? I've read terrifying things online, so I'm not going to actually do that, but people say that 10A won't put a lot more power on the cables.

Any information highly appreciated :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts