Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen a kit on eBay for £39.99 that is a xenon kit apparently. Anybody installed this or know of anyone who has?? Might be worth a punt but not if they're crap!!

S

·
0 Posts
I had a basic non canbus kit in my old 156, they caused some strange dashboard effects. Some of the warning lights glowed when the dipped beam was on. A canbus safe kit fixed the problem.

Canbus safe kits start at about £45. Stick to 6000k max and a UK sourced kit. The glare for other road users will be horrific, but the kits pass UK MoTs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
597 Posts
User Londoncolor on ebay is the best to use. Kit is around £28. 2 year warranty on the ballast and one on the bulbs

Get the normal H7 bulbs as they fit the 147 just fine.

Don't go higher than 6000K temperature.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the kit from Londoncolor GTA. mentions. No problems whatsoever (despite kit being non-canbus and car canbus, but I guess headlights are not connected to that on the GT). Even the 5k color that I got feels quite blue at times, so 6k would be way too blue for my taste.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
User Londoncolor on ebay is the best to use. Kit is around £28. 2 year warranty on the ballast and one on the bulbs

Get the normal H7 bulbs as they fit the 147 just fine.

Don't go higher than 6000K temperature.
Cheers for the help guys. Just been looking at this system but it says if the car has bulb warning I need to go for the more expensive system. Is this correct?!

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
On Alfas, the lights out warning doesn't cover the dipped beam bulbs. However, some non-canbus kits can cause odd electrical gremlins.

Odd as when I have a dip beam bulb out on mine, I have a warning flash up! :)

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
Mine doesn't. It gets emotional about sidelights, brake, back fog, back number plate bulbs. Not bothered about indicators, main or dipped beam.,

I wonder if its due to the slight differences between the 147 and 156 canbus systems?

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
It will do it for sidelights, but not for beams high or low....
That's really strange then as when I had a low/dip beam out I have something flash up on the dash, it does it in my dads 147 too bud!

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
Canbus safe kits start at about £45. Stick to 6000k max and a UK sourced kit. The glare for other road users will be horrific, but the kits pass UK MoTs.
There is lots of confusion about this, even amongst MOT testers. Vosa visited us for a spot check a fortnight ago and we got to discussing HID kits - they should not pass an MOT test unless the car has also been fitted with headlamp washers and self-levelling. However they are not "illegal", so you shouldn't get tugged for them unless they are clearly badly fitted or setup and are causing people to be dazzled.

Vosa gave us the opposite example of if you had driven in for an MOT test with a 6ft long spear gaffa-taped to the front of your bonnet, you'd pass the MOT test but any copper could rightly pull you for it.

I take mine out for MOT, then re-fit afterwards. My MOT man won't pass the car with them fitted as he never knows when Vosa are waiting outside ready to pounce, its not worth his license.

The MOT rules regarding this changed April 2013, so any info prior to that is now out of date. But not all MOT testers pay proper attention to the Vosa updates and I'm sure some would confuse my 4700K HIDs for standard lights as they are a crisp white with not even a hint of blue.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
I take mine out for MOT, then re-fit afterwards. My MOT man won't pass the car with them fitted as he never knows when Vosa are waiting outside ready to pounce, its not worth his license.

The MOT rules regarding this changed April 2013, so any info prior to that is now out of date. But not all MOT testers pay proper attention to the Vosa updates and I'm sure some would confuse my 4700K HIDs for standard lights as they are a crisp white with not even a hint of blue.
What RfR is he using to fail a car with after-market HIDs fitted...?

As far as I can see the changes now in effect are the same as were in the 2012 manual.

Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps.

Obviously if you have headlight washers that don't work, then that is now an MOT failure if you have HIDs fitted (aftermarket or OEM).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So are these gonna work or not lol?? Should I get the ones it recommends at 69.99 or the other ones GTA talks about at half the price??

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
Also worth mentioning that Irish MOTs are different the UK MOTs.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
What RfR is he using to fail a car with after-market HIDs fitted...?

As far as I can see the changes now in effect are the same as were in the 2012 manual.

Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps.

Obviously if you have headlight washers that don't work, then that is now an MOT failure if you have HIDs fitted (aftermarket or OEM).
My headlight washers have been disconnected. I never asked about specific RfR, but the visiting Vosa inspector seemed to go along with what his position on it was. BTW I don't get my MOTs done at work, I go somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts