Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done this? - I have seen some kits (bulbs, ballast & loom) which claim to be plug and play..... do they work?, are they easy to fit?

Cheers all

S

·
0 Posts
Well I have just bought some for my 147 so should be able to tell you more tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
There online HID kits, you change the ballasts and the xenon bulbs works just as well as the original xenons, had the kit put on an X5 and the lights are pretty bright, not too sure about dipped beams and all that with the kits though

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i'm unsure how well the 'reflector' lenses in the halogen GT work with HID xenons. the 156 seems reasonable from all reports.

you basically don't want to glare oncoming traffic.

so it's only ideal with 'projector' lenses. you should keep an eye out to buy OE HID light assemblies for the GT (maybe off a RHD wreck if you can find them).

install will be easy enough if you know how to use tools properly. best to take the bumper off for full access to the areas to mount the ballast.

:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've fitted them on mine, much better lighting however i have recieved a few comments in regards to dazzling other drivers. I think it's because i've got them set too high but we'll see tomorrow at the MOT station.

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
i suspect by the time you 'lower' the beam to reduce glare, you'll have terrible lighting infront of the car. so i don't think it'll work both ways (sic).

:)

S

·
0 Posts
I got them fitted today also and a huge improvment over the stock setup :D:D

Just a few issues of people flashing me so 1st thing tomorrow im going to have a fiddle with the beam agjusters (cant spell)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure these are legal? Don't you need washers, and auto adjusting headlights? Xenon's on my car come with a lens, not a reflector like on the GT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys - i will leave this one well alone as i dont want to pee everyone off and it sounds like a hassle in terms of MOT etc

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks guys - i will leave this one well alone as i dont want to pee everyone off and it sounds like a hassle in terms of MOT etc
have you thought about getting some high performance 55W bulbs....

There are some very good phillips ones now that offer a far improved beam over the normal bulb without a risk of blinding oncoming traffic

1 - 13 of 13 Posts