Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give a definitive answer on the safe way to replace Xenon bulbs? There is plenty of conflicting advice on the internet easy or likely to cause death ! I have no issue with removing the bumper and the entire headlight units from the car, I have done so many times before for sidelight bulbs, high beam and fog bulbs, but am worrying about the Xenon Low beam bulbs because of the high voltage warnings on the ballasts and bulb connectors. Obviously disconnecting the battery before starting the job , but are there any other safety requirements?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It is only live when the lights are on.
Similar Bosch/AL HIDs on my TT and I just changed them like you would any other bulb.

Surely you don't need to remove the whole headlight to change a bulb though?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's just a bulb. Unplug the battery and leave it for a while... Any capacitators will discharge in a short time.

It's not hard.

Reactions: maxiboy wales

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It's just a bulb. Unplug the battery and leave it for a while... Any capacitators will discharge in a short time.

It's not hard.
I didn't even unplug the battery.
I wouldn't for a normal bulb change and didn't for the HIDs either.

Just use due care with the connectors. The HID connectors are well insulated anyway, it would take a supreme effort to touch the contacts. Not like a "normal" bulb connector where you may be touching bare metal connector.

However in the modern world you can't assume that common sense will be used, which is why the manual probably says to take it to a garage...

Reactions: maxiboy wales
1 - 4 of 4 Posts