Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did theECU full reset on my Alfas this morning, and took the 156 selespeed out for a run. Shoved in 10 litres of petrol, and hit the road. The car stalled a few times when going slow - too many speed bumps in town! - and would not then engage the gears, but switch off and on, and all ok again. I have a new rpm sensor to be fitted, I hope that's the problem... I was almost back home, having done a reasonably fast run for a few km., when it stalled again, and this time, could not restart - the ignition key refused to budge once inserted. The car could not even be pushed to the side of the road, it appeared to be stuck solid - probably still in gear. I could not change gear, as could not get the ignition on. Not able to put into neutral, so I guess it would'nt start anyway...

A couple of locals immediately got involved, jumping in my car, wanting to check the engine, messing about with everything, though they did put out the emergency triangle for me...nothing helped. The car would not budge an inch, even when pushed hard. Then the police came, they called for a removal truck. I then thought of disconnecting the battery, maybe that would reset something? I had earlier today tightened up all the battery terminals, and of course, all my tools were at home (along with my phone...I was only popping out for 15 minutes..). I forced off the negative lead, waited 20 seconds or so, and re-connected it. Tried the key again, would not turn; tried the gears, nothing.

I was resigned to putting her on the tow truck, when a big police motorbike pulled up. One of the two policeman on it, ordered me out of the car; he got in, and before I could even explain to him he didn't know what he was dealing with, lo and behold, he started the car! He then wanted to move it to the side of the road...I said no, please get out, I can drive it home now. He was messing about with the gear stick, I had to shout at him to leave it alone, you don't know what you're doing, and get the ****** out of my car. He was well ****ed off, but got out, and started shouting for me to go! I said not until I get my triangle back...whereupon the other policeman threw it into the passenger seat, and off I went, followed by one of the lads who had tried to help me (but of course, they did not understand the problem). He followed me home, and asked for money. Typical, everybody here wants money for nothing...you have money, therefore I want it... is the general mentality :(

So, does anyone know what happened to the car? If it happens again, God forbid, what can I do differently? To not be able to even roll the car to the side of the road - nightmare!

I'm off for a similar run in the 147 now. I have to say, it does appear that the 147 is a good bit more sporty than the 156; maybe because it's 4 years older, though of similar mileage.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
the fact that the key does not turn in the ignition lock is probably caused by the steering lock.... Sometimes due to the pressure of the steering, it is not possible/difficult to turn the key. It's a matter of turning the steeringwheel somewhat side-to-side to free up the key. Turning the steeringwheel can be difficult, as there is no power steering when the engine is not running.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Huh! That simple! Now I do feel like an idiot! I did try turning the wheel, but obvioiusly not hard enough!
Don't worry, it is much easier to think things through when you are not in the middle of a breakdown....
I agree it sounds like the steering lock was engaged, but generally it doesn't take much movement of the wheel to free the key to turn. Is yours working normally? If not check the key for damage and try some WD40.

Nice story btw - a lot more exciting than most breakdowns I have experienced :)
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts