Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had time to try and diagnose a couple of faults today

After trying to pinpoint where the ticking was coming from i thought i should remove the coil packs and see if any oil may have leaked down the plugs wells.......:eek: Cam cover gasket has dumped the contents of the sump down most of them (except both on cyl 1 and main plug on cyl 2) after that the oil was nearly covering the plugs....no suprising it was ticking like mad.

Cyl2
cyl2.jpg

Cyl3
cyl3.jpg

Cyl4
cyl4.jpg

I am suprised there was no hesitation/misfiring as i would of found the problem sooner.

1 out of 2 complete, next was trying to find where the whining was coming from so i removed cam covers to check the tension and appeared to be ok

SP32-20090428-184747.jpg

belt1.jpg

belt2.jpg

So here is a link to a vid i taken with the cam covers off....i suspect the waterpump, belts were done not so long ago so tensioner and idler been changed.

YouTube - 146 Whining

So what do you guys think....? does it sound like the pump, Looks like a belt change is on the cards again.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
sounds exactly he same as my car ever has done, both pre and post belt change, does sound a bit more rattly though, but that may just be the mic accentualting different sounds.

HTH

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does sound rattly on the vid, i think it's the injectors making the racket and i had just fired it up after cleaning up the oil and plugs.

Could be the camera sitting close to the exposed pulleys and belts.

There is a slight blow from the exhaust somewhere so that will be the next job.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
that whinning is fine, nothing to worry about.

both my qvs have sounded xactly like tht.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 145 whines like that - even more so when the OH is in with me :lol:

I've tried to find out where the noise is coming from - but not had any luck

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good to hear, It had been whining like that since i done the belt change, before that the variator was fecked and sounded like a diesel all the time, what prompted me to look is that another member said i should get the whine checked out after hearing one of my other vids about the ticking.

I had always put it down to an overtightened belt.

So the question is (now i know it's not serious) What is the harmless whine....maybe a healthy variator??? as the car now whines since i replaced it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts