Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it should be in the wanteds...but anyway...as title, looking for a decent used 6 speeder from a 3.0 please. Ideally complete with cables and gear lever assembly.

TIA.

·
Registered
741 Posts
is the gearbox in the 2.5 6speed same as the 1 in the 3.0 6speed
Think not - when I needed on for 166 Super, was informed it was unique to the 3 litre. Someone with access to ePer might be able to confirm.

Chris
Is it for the Stratos?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are basically the same, the difference is in the FD ratio - I'd prefer the taller one that's in the 3.0 really.
Then again, there are more 2.5s about I suppose.

So, how much for box & bits alfa156156? I'm not too far from you either I don't think, so could collect easily enough.

Rob, yes, for the Strat. The new supercharged motor is in and working now, but running aspirated while I put some miles on it. Longer term, if it makes the sort of torque I'm aiming for, I'll be wanting a Q2 and a stiffening plate in the box, so I figure a 6 speeder is the way to go. If I can find one at the right price now, I can build it up at my leisure, sort out all the linkage problems, lack of speedo drive problems, engine mount problems...etc etc, then think about installing it at some point in the future, ideally before I destroy the current 164 5 speeder that's in there at the moment.

·
Registered
787 Posts
chris i aint got a clue how much the gear boxes go for, u tell me whats a fair price for it..problem is i aint got a clue how 2 take the gearbox out.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's one on e-bay at the momment for £80 if that helps. Low mileage too. In fact....... :)

Removing it is a big job, engine, box and subframe come out as one lump normally - I guess it's beyond the scope of what you'd want to get in to TBH. It's not a job I'd want to do myself unless I had the car at my own place, with access to all my tools, crane, jacks etc. Don't think I really want to get into buying the whole car ans scrapping it myself either :(

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it's a 5 speeder, which is no good to me really. Probably explains teh cheap price. £150 sounds OK....assuming it's 6 speed and includes the linkage/lever bits. Just leaves the minor detail of how the heck to get it out.

Wasn't really wanting to go down this route if I could help it....gulp.....but how much for the whole car? Would be the third Alfa I'd be responsible for scrapping......already 'processed' a pair of 164's in years gone by. In my defence, they were both basket cases.

·
Registered
787 Posts
i aint sellin the whole car now chris as ive got some things i need 2 sell off it, and u can have all the gearbox things u could want or need as i wont need any of the gearbox. and yes its a 6 speed.
chris u got a startos !! how does it compare 2 todays rally cars like the subaru and evo,can it keep up with them still?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Chaps

Easy to get the subframe, engine gearbox and all.
1. remove all components you want to keep/sell from the chassis inc wheels. Disconnect engine.
2. scrap the car - man comes with winch and lifts away the shell
3. Hey presto - you have engine/box and subframe sat outside your house.

Worked for me, i even had a plywood trolley (from previous project) under the lump so I could store it in the garage.

I reckon the box would come out of the nearside wheel arch easy enough. Just drop the whole strut and driveshaft off first.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i aint sellin the whole car now chris as ive got some things i need 2 sell off it, and u can have all the gearbox things u could want or need as i wont need any of the gearbox. and yes its a 6 speed.
chris u got a startos !! how does it compare 2 todays rally cars like the subaru and evo,can it keep up with them still?
No worries - didn't really want to go that way anyway. I'll take the box & linkages then please - let me know when it's ready and I'll come get it. Happy to do some minor disassembly if it helps you.

Getting the box off the engine needs the starter removing, which is a pig in the car, so probably best left until the whole assembly is out. Gear change cables pop off easily enough, then they should come out the car OK. I'd be happy to pull the box off the engine/subframe if it was out of the car - quick job that.

Rob - thanks for the tips on the scrapping technique. My scrap bloke insisted the shell was towable - pain that!

Strat. It's only a kit copy of one I've got....and I'd say there really isn't any comparison. It takes a very skilled driver to go quickly in a Strat (much more skilled than me!) and I'd say that for most mortals, the modern stuff would be an awful lot quicker over anything but a simple drag race. 4WD and more electronics than the space shuttle tends to flatter numpty drivers in the modern stuff. Not even got ABS in a Strat so you have to keep your wits about you or it'll bite. Hard to suggest anything much better than a Scooby or Evo for rapid progress on ordinary roads.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was looking at the 6 speed conversion at one time, but do know the 5 speed in the early 2.5v6 are prob the stongest. But as a bit of info for you I worked out the top gear and final drive ratios to give you your top speed at 3000rpm, using a tyre size of 215/55/16

1998 2.5v6 - 5th - 0.914
FD - 3.563
= 69.37mph

1998 3.0v6 - 6th - 0.816
FD - 3.733
= 74.15mph

2000 2.5v6 - 6th - 0.811
FD - 3.937
= 70.75mph

2000 3.0 v6 - 6th - 0.811
FD - 3.733
= 74.61mph

The 2004 3.2v6 - 6th - 0.818
FD - 3.733
= 73.98mph

The best combnation for cruising would be either the Final Drive ratio from a 1998 2.5v6 in a 2000 v6 gear box or the 6th fitted into the 5 speed box, this would give you
6th- 0.811
FD - 3.563
= 78.17mph at 3000 rpm or 70mph at 2686 rpm, could potentialy put your mpg up to 35/36!! Just a thought. Granted it wouldn't pick up as quickly in 6th.

if you want to do the calcs yourself these are the websites I used
Tire size calculator - for calculating tyre size diameter, I used my wheel set up for calcs(on 16" rims)
Potential Speed Calculator - for the actual speed calcs.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There isn't really all that much in it is there Mark. Initially I wanted the 3.0 box for sure, but it's about a 5% difference, and I could always put a slightly bigger tyre on the back if I found it too revvy....but I don't tend to do too many motorway miles in the Strat so I reconsidered.

I've got pages of glorious spreadsheets with gear ratios, diff ratios, tyre sizes, shift points...etc etc etc. Sad, ain't it :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
u orite chris, ive found a mechanic who wil take the gearbox out for me for 80, so thats 230 to u,or if u wanna take it out yourself its 150. let me know

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm happy to pull the box off an already removed engine/subframe, but don't want to be doing the job on a complete car unless I'm at home with access to all my gear...and I don't want to pay someone to do it either - £250 is starting to sound a bit dear.

I'll pass then, but thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got one thanks chaps. Bit more than I wanted to spend (understatment alert!) but it's almost new and it's a GTA box CW a BNIB Q2, so best of the options for me really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts