Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's too late now my first ever diesel and look what's happened, i suppose all the benzina fans will be laughing now:eek:
Every time the word diesel is mentioned on the TV/Radio [ which is often] my Wife just looks at me [you know the look], she doesn't say anything she doesn't need to.
And so whilst i was out on Sunday looking for the G spot [see my other post which was meant to be tongue in cheek] i thought i would do an mpg comparison which really surprised me.
Most of my driving since getting the G had been conservative to say the least, i needed to get used to the car, and just out of curiosity see how close i could get to the official mpg figures which as we all know is futile. Anyway best i got was 50 avg, i often only do 60 mph on Motorway as i find it more relaxing so would have expected a little more.
Now Sunday i reset trip b, car was already warm so straight into D[ don't panic] . I did a 40 mile round trip almost all of it done with rev's above 2500rpm/4000rpm [did not use5/6 gears] 50mph in 3rd gear 70mph in 4th this was through the whole trip. I got home and then checked trip b, my avg was 40mpg !WOW
My Wife is still giving me the look tho'

·
Premium Member
5,388 Posts
But you wouldn't get that in a petrol. Just doing my 4 1/2 mile trip to work and back I get 34mpg - not great I know, but I used to get 23 (max) out of my 1.8 GT. 3% more in cost, 50% less fuel used. My wife's Mito 1.4 (95) only does 26 on the same journey. You know you made the right move. Need I say more?

·
Registered
36,114 Posts
I am sure you are finding the low down torque really good if this is your first diesel and ,as long as you stay inside the car, the sound is surprisingly good too( based on the 147 Sport Q2 I had previously.)

·
Registered
36,114 Posts
Average 36 on mine, can't be much in it what with the price difference and all...
careful,I wrote something very similar recently and it was not taken lightly!
I calculated that there was a 7.5% price difference and this could be factored in.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But you wouldn't get that in a petrol. Just doing my 4 1/2 mile trip to work and back I get 34mpg - not great I know, but I used to get 23 (max) out of my 1.8 GT. 3% more in cost, 50% less fuel used. My wife's Mito 1.4 (95) only does 26 on the same journey. You know you made the right move. Need I say more?
Yes Andypj you are right re' the Diesel thing,i could not believe the figures in fact; it seems so cheap thrashing her in D i will have to do more often. 34 ain't great but i can see what you mean with those figures + you will benefit on a longer run. Cheers:thumbs:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure you are finding the low down torque really good if this is your first diesel and ,as long as you stay inside the car, the sound is surprisingly good too( based on the 147 Sport Q2 I had previously.)
i thought i would find the engine too noisy but have no issues with it at all. Yes the low down torque is superb and always takes me by surprise, i think i need to do a bit more playing !

·
Registered
36,114 Posts
If I want to live the diesel dream I take the Multipla.It's maximum torque at 1500 revs and a different view of other cars;From above

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
you can see on Fuelly that I got 44-50mpg from the 170 JTDm. I could get 60mpg on long runs, but it was not easy. The economy comes from keeping the revs down to 2,000 or less all the time, and keeping my right foot as light as possible. Not hypermiling, but certainly driving with as much precautionary vision as I could get.

I rarely get to 30mpg in the G QV now, but changing up as quickly as I can can push it to 38mpg on long A road runs or motorway if I stay under 75mph ...

... however this is very boring, so I am unlikely to do so again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts