Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi got my new maf in the post this morning and I dont think its the right one. Took the old one off and fitted the new one but it idles badly and when I tried to take it for a drive it backfired.

On closer inspection my old maf is a PBT GF and the new one says PBT GF30. Guessing this is wrong?

Put the old one back on and its running fine.

The reason I am changing the maf is for emission issues.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Where did you get it from? The Ph1 maf is an expensive item but it is pointless buying a cheap ebay one and a second hand one is always a gamble.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Its a cheap ebay one.
Usually not worth even opening the packet.
Just take it from the postman and throw it straight in the bin.

Cheap MAF sensors are a waste of money.
They are either poor quality fakes or genuine ones that have failed QC checks and been rejected.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point taken, is there a difference between the GF & GF30 so I dont buy the wrong one again?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Davetech74

Have you tried cleaning the MAF Sensor first with Contact Cleaner?

There is no need to remove the sensor from the MAF body to do this. Just give it a good spray.

Phil

PS. Some further info in my thread
Yes have cleaned it twice now but I think what I really need is a new one. The car is running well but the co level is very high. Limit for mot in ireland is 0.3 mine is at 0.6 and spikes to 2.0. New bosch lamda fitted, new air cleaner, new air hose (used but good) new plugs, oil change, exhaust is good no leaks, terra cleaned, new temp sender, new thermostat and drove the arse off it. Maf is the only thing left...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok to save on a new thread, I'll hijack this one... I've just relaced my airbox and noticed the old MAF had a melted gauze and melted sensor case, it worked fine bit the old brackets that hold it on the airbox lid had fused together!

I ordered a replacement which was number 0280 217 531, whereas the one on the car is 0280 217 514. The new one has an oval 5 point plug and the old one is a rectangular 4 point.

Can the sensors be swapped over or do I need to order a complete 514 unit?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts