·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I wouldn't advise using an Oven you use for cooking food in to Cure VHT painted items. If you fit them back on the car and run it up to temperature on a 45 minute drive, it cures it nicely. ;)

It will stink the place out and probably taint the oven - VHT Roast Dinner anyone :lol:

I know my Mrs would be P**sed if I tried it.

If you got a local bodyshop, they'll only charge you a few quid for a proper bake off.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I learnt thay the hard way it was schtinking, but I didn't cure it for an hour just twenty minutes each. Something I found that helps the smell was bicarbonate of soda, water and lemon juice in a dish. But if you can avoid it that'd be best.

Amclean how did you get the cam cover off past the coil cables that are attached to the fuel rail?

Also how does the paint handle dirt and grime? Is it easy to clean?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had to remove the injector cables but it was fiddly as they were brittle.

The red paint cleans up ok but the wrinkle effect does "flatten down" if you know what I mean. In fact my red cover needs redoing again, so that's ~4 yrs. The black cam cover is fine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a wee upgrade I gave my bella.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A wee addition of gold but need to find a way of getting rid of that oxidisation on the bare aluminium :cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great.. was thinking on using wrinkle finish on mine

how easy do you think its will be to keep clean over a gloss finish
Thanks, much appreciated!

That's what I thought when I first went to do it and 20k miles later I gave it a quick wash with a sponge and it cleaned up as good as new. Once it dried I gave it a coat of engine lacquer for the first time to see if it would make a difference.

Bit do advices avoid cooking it in the oven as it'll stink the place out and buy all the relevant gaskets if you go to remove the plenum too.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Yeah had the plenum off a few times already doing wiring and coil packs etc

Just bought a spare engine so have all the parts removed from that already.

will paint then swap at some point after they are done. cheers for the advice

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I've taken a leap into the unknown with my tinkering & removed the Plenum & the lower cover (l bottled removing the 3rd piece) with my shiny & little used tools after admiring the various pics posted of improved engine bay restorations. I have a friend who commercially paints vehicle parts who is going to prep/paint the bits in Ferrari crackle red & to bake them off in his oven rather than the one in my kitchen!

A quick 2 questions....should I lacquer the paint finish & also what is the collective opinion on taking back the fins to a bare finish as well as the script? - I'm tempted to just do the script & keep it simple. ::thumbs:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I've taken a leap into the unknown with my tinkering & removed the Plenum & the lower cover (l bottled removing the 3rd piece) with my shiny & little used tools after admiring the various pics posted of improved engine bay restorations. I have a friend who commercially paints vehicle parts who is going to prep/paint the bits in Ferrari crackle red & to bake them off in his oven rather than the one in my kitchen!

A quick 2 questions....should I lacquer the paint finish & also what is the collective opinion on taking back the fins to a bare finish as well as the script? - I'm tempted to just do the script & keep it simple. ::thumbs:
Taking off the plenum is like learning to ride a bike.
Good to hear your having a crack at it!

I didn't lacquer mine so I can't comment but the finish has remained the same. Though the finish does trap more grime and dirt and when I painted the script gold, gave it a sponge bath.

The fins are a matter of taste to be honest I think I may take the paint back next year and reveal them. You never know.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts