Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 147 GTA on the weekend it totally blew me away.

Sound

The car sounded absolutely amazing, I actually prefer the engine note at lower revs where the deep thrum echoes through the cabin. :cool:

Performance

The crazy thing about the GTA is that it didnt actually "feel" as fast as I expected. The GTA feels so well built that I didnt really get the sensation of speed, a lot less so than in my 145 where 70MPH feels like 100 :lol: On a long straight I opened it up in 2nd and was absolutely astonished at how well the engine revs, I actually hit the limiter, the power delivery is so clean and smooth that you don't feel any "let-up" as you approach 7kish revs, the limiter feels as if it could be at 8.5k!! The car accelerates so hard at high revs that my old man actually thought I was braking when I hit the limiter.

Looks

The car was gabbiano blue, I have to admit this is probably my favourite GTA colour, Red fades, black is tough to keep clean so I feel this is a good compromise and is quite unusual too (which I like)

Interior and ride quality

For a car with 250BHP I feel as if the GTA handles and rides extremely well. The ride actually felt more compliant than in my 145 which suprised me. The seats in the GTA were absolutely amazing, very supportive - I can imagine the GTA is a very comfortably cruiser with that big V6 up front, the BOSE system and those seats.

Overall I'd say the car "felt less mental" than I was expecting. it is certaintly devastingly quick though can easily get it to 70/80MPH without much more than a twitch of the right foot! The 147 GTA is definitely going to be my next car!

Oh forgot to mention in the test drive I averaged 10MPG... I was driving it how it should be driven !!! :thumbs: :cool: :D

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Welcome to the dark side! Are you getting one or just fancied a play?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
getting one!!!!... :) Couple years time though , just came out of UNI, plan on buying property first then splash the cash on a GTA........

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
You really, really need to get one.

They are just great.

I still go outside every now and then and just look at mine (156). Odd but true. Neighbours must think I have lost it!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
You really, really need to get one.

They are just great.

I still go outside every now and then and just look at mine (156). Odd but true. Neighbours must think I have lost it!
Do you smile at her and wink? Give her a little pat an all?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree Edward, gorgeous looking cars arent they. For me its the whole package (engine, seats, interior, looks)... I honestly can't think of any car this side of an Aston that combines all these features in such a sexy package??

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you are right - the 156 is great for transporting children though. They love it when she who must be obayed is not in the car:lol:
You don't mean you drive more enthusiastically when the Mrs isn't with you, do you??? :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
getting one!!!!... :) Couple years time though , just came out of UNI, plan on buying property first then splash the cash on a GTA........
I brought one straight out of uni. No point it looking at properties in this climate!

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
No point it looking at properties in this climate!
Thats what I thought! I'm the same, once you get a house you'll be pushed to have a GTA an all unless you minted!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Yeah exactly!

I was told by my parents: "dont go buying stuff like that while at uni, plenty of money when you are working properly" They you get the next lecture after that about buying a house lol

Sometimes you have just got to do it. I have no money at all these days although that is more down to work being scarce

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Planning on buying a place up North, letting it to students, then renting a place closer to where I work :thumbs:

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
Yeah exactly!

I was told by my parents: "dont go buying stuff like that while at uni, plenty of money when you are working properly" They you get the next lecture after that about buying a house lol

Sometimes you have just got to do it. I have no money at all these days although that is more down to work being scarce
I get that too! I so want a Ragazzon box and pipe but I just know I will get moaned at WHEN I get one. I dont pay board so I can save for my own place, can hear the speech now:rolleyes: I can see his point though!:D

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Planning on buying a place up North, letting it to students, then renting a place closer to where I work :thumbs:
I wouldn't bother, I know of at least 3 people who I work with who have done that and none of them are recouping enough in rent to cover the mortgage. :(

·
Registered
14,575 Posts
I wouldn't bother, I know of at least 3 people who I work with who have done that and none of them are recouping enough in rent to cover the mortgage. :(
I know people like that to, in the current uncertain climate dont do it! Especially with all this [email protected] with the banks going on:eek:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts