Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been thinking which for me is hard as ive not got too many brain cell's :biglaugh:

Should i buy a new alternator before i refit engine (156 3.0) . There is or was nothing wrong with the one i have but knowing my luck it will go pop a little while after fitting engine back in.

What would you do knowing its a pain in the @ss to change an alternator , bear in mind money is tight. and i think new ones are about £100 for 120 amp

Just to add i have no idea of the age of the alternator ive fitted

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
tough one this, as if you take this attitude to everything you would end up doing at least 3 things on every job you do on the car, for example ARB drop links when dropping the subframe to do a clutch, and then, well I might as well do the flywheel whilst I am there, and as i now have a shiny new clutch and flywheel how about an egr delete and remap..oh, now its faster I better get some performance pads and fluid on...

and so a £300 job quickly becomes a £1000 job because it ''makes sense whilst your doing it'' that said the alternator IS a pig, if it were me I would do it with one caveat...

don't go and buy the cheapest alternator out there as your good intentions may end up causing the very situation you sought to avoid, reminds me of that old saying ''many a man has found his destiny on the road he took to avoid it''

do it is what I'm saying, just not cheaply.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joey

I needed some help to make my mind up :biglaugh: and i hear what your saying about cheapness , my wifes 147 jtd alternator when so i replaced it with a cheaper one and 2 weeks after the voltage regulator blew. i changed the regulator instead of taking it off but to my cost as the shop wanted the whole item for warranty.

Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont know exactly how much work it is at your car, but with mine it took several hours to change the alternator including removing subframe and other parts.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Could you not just take the one you have and have a refurbishment team look at it for any likely failure. I mean they aren't complex things really.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you not just take the one you have and have a refurbishment team look at it for any likely failure. I mean they aren't complex things really.
I did think that but where i am the only refurb place closed , So i will have to look further a field. i could strip it myself i guess to clean it inside then buy a new brush & Regulator as its Bosch 120A . in fact i have 3 of them so im sure i can make a good 1 from all 3 ( besides bushes etc).

So thanks for that Scotty you gave me another job to add to the list !!! :biglaugh::jester:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked it up and its £16 for a full reconditioning kit . brushes / bearings and other stuff bargain

So thanks scotty for planting the seed for me to fix myself

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
No worries. Just thought it might be a better option and save you a few pennies whilst out.

Shows how much those 1 for 1 reconditioning companies make from them.

Good luck with the kit.

Report back as it might save someone else a small fortune.

Reactions: mirlock

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update ..

I have completed the reconditioning of the alternator and its come out ok. Im going to do another one and take pics and do a guide now i know i can do it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
There you go. Saw the first post and thought "Why do people buy new alternators all the time - half the components can't go wrong."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts