Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I have this 2006 159 JTS 2.2 which I purchased at 50k miles and put another 10k in one and a half years. The car is fine and has had the stretched chain problem rectified, but I am just missing that lovely acceleration, owing to the torque of the diesel engine.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 159 2.4JTD TI, which has 57k miles on the clock, has been remapped and the problematic valve removed. I also know the owner quite well.

The question is - is it worth doing this? I will probably get about £4500 for mine and need to add another £4000 to purchase the TI. Is it worth it?

I do about 10k miles per year....

THanks for your advise

·
Registered
974 Posts
OK, so I have this 2006 159 JTS 2.2 which I purchased at 50k miles and put another 10k in one and a half years. The car is fine and has had the stretched chain problem rectified, but I am just missing that lovely acceleration, owing to the torque of the diesel engine.

I have an opportunity to purchase a 159 2.4JTD TI, which has 57k miles on the clock, has been remapped and the problematic valve removed. I also know the owner quite well.

The question is - is it worth doing this? I will probably get about £4500 for mine and need to add another £4000 to purchase the TI. Is it worth it?

I do about 10k miles per year....

THanks for your advise
I have one and regular niggles aside.. It is a fantastic car, I've driven 200 BHP+ petrol's that don't **** me up as much as when I put my foot down in my 2.4. Even worse that's on a stock 210, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like on 260 Bhp??

MPG's crap for a diesel but better than petrol, black leathers lovely. Rest of the car is nice and planted and corners well.. First time I have ever been able to join a sharp U bend onto the A1 at 60 MPH no fuss and no understeer.

I'd say go for it, as long as the mileage is low on the diesel.. It's still the 2.4 JTDM and I've had four of them now (3 X 156's (140, 150 and 175) 1 X 159 210). Cam belt / water pump every 48K..

But it's great on the motor way and quick blasts anywhere.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'd go for it if the '08 is the right price for market value and its condition. The 2.4 really is a wave of torque, a lovely feeling when you plant it. And you'd get better MPG than your 2.2 with the added better looks and trim level, not to mention better resale value given its a Ti (offset by the initial purchase price i know but...)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'd go for it --- I paid £13000 for my 2009 2.4ti last Sept at 46500 miles . You'll love the remap engine , hopefully the EGR/DPF is modded too ? Has it had the cambelt/water pump/tensioner/idler etc done ? if not it'll need doing PRONTO !!! Allow 265 in my case locally up to 450 at several others .

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies.

I am also inclined to do the swap. I have reached a verbal agreement for the TI for £8k, so it's just a case of selling mine - hopefully I can get north of £4500 for it...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

I am also inclined to do the swap. I have reached a verbal agreement for the TI for £8k, so it's just a case of selling mine - hopefully I can get north of £4500 for it...
For around 7K you can get a Lusso 210 Bhp @ around 40K on the clock..

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Softer suspension, no skirts, no lovely 19" wheels, no split-fold rear seats, normal interior, not as nice dials, lower extras included.... the Ti is definitely worth the extra moneys

and the Ti in question is mapped etc so sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
974 Posts
Softer suspension, no skirts, no lovely 19" wheels, no split-fold rear seats, normal interior, not as nice dials, lower extras included.... the Ti is definitely worth the extra moneys

and the Ti in question is mapped etc so sounds like a good deal
I prefer the Lusso, Just my opinion :)..

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
4K for the diesel engine with Ti trim and 2 years younger.
Rather save the 4k and drive the JTS into the ground not worring about the missing torque. Enjoying the fact its quieter and the fact I have 4K in my pocket to go on nie holidays with.

Still depends what your priorities are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts