Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With apologies for being slightly off topic if I may....

My daily driver is actually a company car; a German originated 2.0TDI which shall remain nameless...

Now, said German is actually reasonably quick with 170BHP on top, however a remap would give it 210BHP and enough torque to pull a Cheiftan tank.

My problem is that being a company car, if the map ever got "discovered", I would get the sack, end of.

I know that the tuners all say the maps are undedectable, but it s a low risk high consequence strategy to my way of thinking - what would you do ?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Realistically legally is it a sackable offence??? If you're unsure why not just get a tuning box (as much as I hate them :lol:)

·
Banned
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Realistically legally is it a sackable offence??? If you're unsure why not just get a tuning box (as much as I hate them :lol:)
Well, working on the basis that it would invalidate the insurance,, invalidate the warranty, and land them with a big repair bill if it blew (unlikely i know), then yes it would be !

Pardon my ignorance, but how do tuning boxes work ?

R

·
0 Posts
I know my company would sack you if they found out you'd modified a company car without permission. However if you think you can afford the potential grief I would say go for it, but don't be surprised if you get found out by increased tyre wear and possible higher fuel consuption. I've been there and the bean counters will spoil your fun!!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
leave the company car alone as its for work, its not worth the potential grief. I'm quite happy to potter about in a little C2 diesel and electric car for work and look forward to a blast in the Brera in the evenings/weekend. Spend the tuning money on the Brera.:)

·
Registered
30,067 Posts
I stuck alloy wheels on my company work van back in 2005 and got a huge thumbs up from the director :lol: but they were just OE wheels for that brand so just looked stock.

One guy had his golf GT TDi remapped and it did pull like a train and never went detected within the 3 years of its lease.

More modern cars will probably be easier to detect the mapping though. It all depends on how much you think the risk is and if you think it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I would just ask your boss. if they say no out right then dont do it. that way there is no risk of loosing your job.

and if he says yes you can do it with no worries

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would just ask your boss. if they say no out right then dont do it. that way there is no risk of loosing your job.

and if he says yes you can do it with no worries
What he said.
There is no reason to risk the job and future career over something like that.
Its not like its going to give you a Ferrari beater anyway.

Just be wise about how you explain it, and he might let you do it.

D

·
0 Posts
leave the company car alone as its for work, its not worth the potential grief. I'm quite happy to potter about in a little C2 diesel and electric car for work and look forward to a blast in the Brera in the evenings/weekend. Spend the tuning money on the Brera.:)
Exactly and it could make their insurance null and void if it ever was to be found out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts