Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The youngest is v keen on thinking ahead..........not 17 until next year......but is already looking at cars.

I keep going back to old Micras or Seicentos.

What's your advice, chums?

ta

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
I think you would be better off with something that has a higher safety rating.

Both the early Micra and the Seicento did very badly in Euro Ncap tests, and as 17 year olds are highly likely to have a crash I reckon it would be a good idea to get something which is as safe as possible.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Seicento would be a great first car.

If you can get away with it, the 1.25 engine in the Fiesta has a bit of an edge, but may make insurers unhappy. Ford KA may be a consolation prize, but the original ones had craps build quality.

Or a Peugeot 206. Even better is a 106 if you can find a decent one. My other half had a 1.1 Zest 2. Lovely, fun and cheerful car.

There's also a lower displacement Rover 25. Can't recall the size. Decent facelift cars can be had for pennies.

A Micra would merely be an insult. Let's avoid discussion of that car. :)

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I think you would be better off with something that has a higher safety rating.

Both the early Micra and the Seicento did very badly in Euro Ncap tests, and as 17 year olds are highly likely to have a crash I reckon it would be a good idea to get something which is as safe as possible.
Not that a 17 year old being automatically punished by insurers by being forced to drive ancient small engine cars, would be better. They'd be dead anyway if they came up against many of our butch, bloated cars.

A 17 year old doesn't have that much choice in the matter. "You wil risk your life in this comparatively crap car by order of extortion!".

"what's that you say? Death? Who cares! As long as we take your £4000 for insuring your old 0.001 litre engine car, and the guy in the XF is safe, we don't care!". :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Citroen C2's are cheap to buy, fairly quirky and are safe, same with Renault Clio's. Then you have the usualy suspects such as Polo's (Including Skoda and Seat clones), Fiesta, Corsa, Punto, Yaris etc, all of which will do the job.

I would be worried about rust on something which is too old as well, plus it will inevitably need fixing on occasion.

Be very wary of Ford Ka's, they can look tidy on top, but be as rotten as a carrot underneath, as a friend of mine found out not long ago. Those large plastic bumpers can hide all manner of nasties.

·
Registered
38,674 Posts
Not that a 17 year old being automatically punished by insurers by being forced to drive ancient small engine cars, would be better. They'd be dead anyway if they came up against many of our butch, bloated cars.

A 17 year old doesn't have that much choice in the matter. "You wil risk your life in this comparatively crap car by order of extortion!".

"what's that you say? Death? Who cares! As long as we take your £4000 for insuring your old 0.001 litre engine car, and the guy in the XF is safe, we don't care!". :thumbs:
I disagree, for less than £1000 you can get something reasonably modern and safe. There is no real need to go as old as a Seicento unless you happen to really like them...

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I disagree, for less than £1000 you can get something reasonably modern and safe. There is no real need to go as old as a Seicento unless you happen to really like them...
Not when I went through it. My Fiesta crippled me. They suggested I should get a smaller engine than my 1.25 or get an older car.

I went to many places all over Cheshire. It's very circumstantial too. I thought it would get better if we went for newer and safer, but this was dwarfed by the fact they hated me driving a newer car. Back to my 97 Fiesta it was. :lol:

The changes in rating didn't help either. It seems to be the assumption that younger people can simply go on a crippling finance deal for a Fiat 500 0.9 and get insurance thrown in.

But it's entirely my experience.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Won't need to worry about friends in the car egging them on to do something silly then :thumbs:

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,533 Posts
My first car was a Nova SR. An inexperienced driver amid the Golfs and 3 series of the time.

Today, new drivers do battle with the 'new Golfs', which are the small SUVs, or the new '3 series', which are bigger SUVs.

Go for safety every time. Forget cool. A robust Clio, Polo or its other VAG versions - or even an early A-Class picked up for peanuts - would make me feel more at ease if my young-un was to duel with today's traffic monsters.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,533 Posts
I looked at an a class but was frightened at the potential maintenance and repair costs.
good point, they can be costly little shi5s to run. But, a price worth paying if, on the balance of probabilities, the first off will happen in the first car.

That said, I'd still veer toward a VAG car.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
If he waits a year until he is 18...Both Citroen & Peugeot are targeting 18yr olds currently on new what ever the smallest cars are, I'm not sure. Reasonable monthly payments, and they have to have, I think it is called a telematics box fitted. I haven't googled this yet, but presume it monitors their driving, as the car is fully insured, serviced etc. They say..."Just add fuel".
Might be worth looking down that road, as youngsters don't seem to want to stick their heads under the bonnet of an old sh***er these days, and some aren't easy anyway.
It may also pave the way to having a new car every 3 or 4 years, whatever the deal.
I have just googled a telematics box, and it does indeed monitor your driving, which also drives down insurance costs, compared to the average price.

·
Registered
36,737 Posts
A car as unsafe as a Seicento?
Not if you're really fond of them.
There's something to be said of starting with something that makes you appreciate better things later and a smaller size car you can judge the size of without parking sensors but it's got to be able to stand up to other cars should the worst happen.

·
Registered
36,737 Posts
A friend who has a Maserati GranSport uses one of those as his daily driver, shared with his son!
He's never expressed a feeling of it being unsafe.

·
Administrator
46,702 Posts
Volvo 440.
Spooky. I came on to this thread to suggest that exact car.

Whether it's the case now, I don't know, but when I was in the same situation mumblemumble years ago, the insurance of a 440 was remarkably cheap - I think because insurers simply didn't see it as a car that a youngster would drive, or they had no crash data for that demographic and that car.
And, of course, if you're going to go for an old car, it's about as safe as you can get.

I was 18 when I got mine. It was a straight choice between a 1.7 440 or a 1.3 Astra, and the Volvo was so much better a car, in every possible way, it wasn't even close.

Reactions: wayne-dear
1 - 20 of 49 Posts