Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suspect my bodge of putting a rear engine mount in the front mount hole is not working so well - the engine lumps forward when you come off the power & the mount sometimes taps the chassis leg going over large speed humps.

So I'm thinking of changing it.

(one advantage of using the rear mount at the front is that even if the rubber separates from the metal, the engine shouldn't really go anywhere, unlike the front mount, which tears allowing the engine to move)

When I got the leather seats for my car, I also got a 2nd hand front engine mount.

As you can see the 2nd hand one is a bit rough. The rubber on top looks OK with some minor cracking at the centre, & although the body's rusty I think it's still solid. My concern is the bottom cap - does it do anything other than protect the bottom rubber diaphragm?
If so, I can probably get away without.

On the upside, I've already got it, it won't cost anything & it's an original fitting.
On the downside, it might not last very long

Attachments

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm fairly certain the front one is hydraulic (and thus very expensive) but is also used on the Saab 9000 (though I haven't verified this yet). As long as the rubber isn't torn, it probably still has its fluid inside and should work. As for the rusty beit, I guess that might (on over-run) allow the rubber to move more than it is supposed to which might shorten its life.

·
Registered
265 Posts
At least the bolt in the middle has not fallen off like mine did.

Top engine tie mount / engine stay thing, should be replaced every few years, that makes a difference. Compression fit of new rubber bit almost imposible at 2'C, but feasible at room temperature. I know the hard way.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Avocet said:
I'm fairly certain the front one is hydraulic (and thus very expensive) but is also used on the Saab 9000 (though I haven't verified this yet). As long as the rubber isn't torn, it probably still has its fluid inside and should work. As for the rusty beit, I guess that might (on over-run) allow the rubber to move more than it is supposed to which might shorten its life.
I know the yanks usually get a solid rubber version of the SAAB mount & use that with a few minor mods - haven't found a solid one here yet.

The length of life is a concern -don't really want to have the same probelm as before - see pic!

paul gardenshed said:
At least the bolt in the middle has not fallen off like mine did.

Top engine tie mount / engine stay thing, should be replaced every few years, that makes a difference. Compression fit of new rubber bit almost imposible at 2'C, but feasible at room temperature. I know the hard way.
I replaced the dog bone's bushes this summer with Polybush ones - but it's wound up tight to stop the front mount tapping the chassis:rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts