• Total voters
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Green Cloverleaf said:
Oops! :eek:

Apologies to our non-UK friends.

H Samuels is a large chain of high-street jewellers. For me to describe it any further may influence the poll :( :rolleyes: .

;)
Oh... thanks for the info.... but I'd still vote for "other".... as in it depends on the jewelry and the sittuation and the receiver :confused: (<-- I'm confused :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Toronto Spider said:
I like the sound of what you are looking for much better than the emerald-diamond-emerald pattern. It sounds much classier (and no you're not a snob ;) :) ). Any reputable jeweller should be able to make exactly what you want. I don't know if you'll have it for Christmas, but it is worth asking them to do a custom piece. It shouldn't be that much extra than a stock item.
I second that.. And if you have a custom piece made up, they're always willing to upgrade it with a few more pieces of rock, if the need arises.

Imho, I like them white pieces of charcoal better than emeralds, but that's just me...

[MM purring voice on] Diamonds are a girls best friend [mm voice off]

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Oh, Hoygs, you're SO last decade. Haven't you heard the latest? While white diamonds are perfectly fine, the trend for the past couple seasons has been to coloured diamonds. I mean what can compete with a canary diamond, expect maybe a perfect blue? ;)

Of course emeralds are perfectly looovely. :) They have a wonderful rich history and mythology.

"Emeralds have been cherished since man first discovered them. Emerald was the sacred stone of Venus, Hermes drafted the Words of Creation on an emerald tablet. The Holy Grail is reputedly carved from a large emerald crystal that fell from Satan's crown as he descended from Heaven to Hell! Today it is regarded as a stone of the heart."

;)

:D

:cheese:
--Toronto

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Surely half an eternity is the same as a full eternity? Justlike half an infinity the same as a full infinity? :p

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
mave said:
Surely half an eternity is the same as a full eternity? Justlike half an infinity the same as a full infinity? :p
An full eternity ring has jewels encrusted fully around the band and a half eternity ring has jewels only half way round.
An interpetation of the Eternity rings history

Aniversary rings seem to be similar but can have even less jewels than the so called Eternity ring :rolleyes:

Considering that the UK and places like Australia talk about Eternity rings and the US Anniversity rings, then it can be safe to asume thatin its modern form this ring this is likely to be a very modern concept pushed by the sellers of the most common Gem stone on the planet..the Diamond

Diamonds are not called "forever" for nothing as they are forever being found ;) :D :cheese:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You lot seem to be forgetting. Ratners and H.Samuel were both part of Gerald Ratner's empire, with H.Samuel selling the 'slightly' better quality stuff.

After his infamous chat show appearance where he said their "earings cost less than a Marks and Spencer prawn sandwich, and probably don't last as long", sales at Ratners plummeted and Ratner himself was sacked by his own company.

So with the demise of Ratners, where were they going to sell all that cheap tat? No prizes for guessing. ;)

I voted other because it depends what you want. If you want something cheap and chearful that you won't mind losing, then why not?

Buck

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
@ Toronto; Bringing in Christianity as a praisal of emeralds aint gonna win me over, no chance, but you allredy knew that you git :p

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
So sorry Hoygs, :eek: is this better?

"The emerald was believed to foreshow future events, (Epiphanii, "De XII gemmis," Tiguri, 1565, fol. 5.) but we do not learn whether visions were actually seen in the stone, as they were in spheres of rock-crystal or beryl, or whether the emerald endowed the wearer with a supernatural fore-knowledge of what was to come. As a revealer of truth, this stone was an enemy of all enchantments and conjurations; hence it was greatly favored by magicians, who found all their arts of no avail if an emerald were in their vicinity when they began to weave their spells. (Morales, "De las piedras preciosas," Valladolid, 1604, fol. 101.)

"To this supernatural power inherent in the stone, enabling it to quicken the prophetic faculty, may be added many other virtues. If any one wished to strengthen his memory or to become an eloquent speaker, he was sure to attain his end by securing possession of a fine emerald. (Marbodei, "De lapidibus, Friburgi, 1531, fol. 48; Camilli Leon ardi, "Speculum lapidum," Venetia, 1502, fol. xliii.) And not only the ambitious, but also those whose hearts had been smitten by the shafts from Cupid's bow found in this stone an invaluable auxiliary, for it revealed the truth or falsity of lover's oaths. Strange to say, however, the emerald, although commonly assigned to Venus, was often regarded as an enemy of sexual passion. So sensitive was the stone believed to be in this respect that Albertus Magnus relates of King Bela of Hungary, who possessed an exceptionally valuable emerald set in a ring, that, when he embraced his wife while wearing this ring on his finger, the stone broke into three parts. (Fol. 55 recto of Ital. MS., 14th Century. Reference is to Bela IV (1235-1270). Lo reo dilugaria bela loqale in di nostri tempi regna.)
"

Hmmm, maybe GC should rethink his choice, unless of course he is 100 per cent confident in his marital relationship.....

Well maybe some of our Aussie friends should get a few, considering the number and variety of snakes in their country... ;)

Ahmed Ben Abdalaziz, in his "Treatise on Jewels," says that if a snake or serpent fix his eyes on the lustre of emeralds, he immediately becomes blind. Thus Moore, in "Lalla Rookh":--

"Blinded like serpents when they gaze

Upon the emerald's virgin blaze."

The idea that a serpent cannot look at an emerald without going blind and an experiment in 1242 by Ahmed Teifashi to test this belief
Regarding the old fancy that a serpent could not look upon an emerald without losing its sight, the Arabian gem dealer, Ahmed Teifashi, in 1242 writes as follows (Ravii, "Specimen Arabicum," Trajecti ad Rhenum, 1784, pp. 97, 98.) :

"After having read in learned books of this peculiarity of the emerald, I tested it by my own experiment and found the statements exact. It chanced that I had in my possession a fine emerald of the zababi variety, and with this I decided to make the experiment on the eyes of a viper. Therefore, having made a bargain with a snake-charmer to procure me some vipers, as soon as I received them I selected one and placed it in a vessel. This being done, I took a stick of wood, attached to the end a piece of wax, and embedded my emerald in this. I then brought the emerald near to the viper's eyes. The reptile was strong and vigorous, and even raised its head out of the vessel, but as soon as I approached the emerald to its eyes, I heard a slight crepitation and saw that the eyes were protruding and dissolving into a humor. After this the viper was dazed and confused; I had expected that it would spring from the vessel, but it moved uneasily hither and thither, without knowing which way to turn; all its agility was lost, and its restless movements soon ceased."

There are other myths about emeralds as well...

Pliny asserts that a marble lion with emerald eyes was placed on the tomb of a petty king called Hermias, in the island of Cyprus, near the fisheries. Such was the extraordinary brilliancy of the emeralds, and so far out at sea did they shine, that the frightened fish fled to a great distance. The fishermen, having ascertained the cause of the scarcity of their prey, removed the emeralds, and thus induced the fish to return.

A miraculous solution of the origin of emeralds is given in "Forbes' Oriental Memoirs." A person was watching a swarm of fire-flies in an Indian grove, one moonlight night. After hovering for a time in the moonbeams, one particular fire-fly, more brilliant than the rest, alighted on the grass and there remained. The spectator, struck by its fixity, and approaching to ascertain the cause, found, not an insect, but an emerald, which he appropriated, and afterwards wore in a ring.

To keep you happy, I've left out all the other religious references, and no they weren't just Christian. ;)
--Toronto

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Toronto Spider said:
"The emerald was believed to foreshow future events, (Epiphanii, "De XII gemmis," Tiguri, 1565, fol. 5.) but we do not learn whether visions were actually seen in the stone, as they were in spheres of rock-crystal or beryl, or whether the emerald endowed the wearer with a supernatural fore-knowledge of what was to come. As a revealer of truth, this stone was an enemy of all enchantments and conjurations; hence it was greatly favored by magicians, who found all their arts of no avail if an emerald were in their vicinity when they began to weave their spells. (Morales, "De las piedras preciosas," Valladolid, 1604, fol. 101.)

Well, she already knows what I am going to do before even I know it, so no worries there!!! :p :D

Toronto Spider said:
"And not only the ambitious, but also those whose hearts had been smitten by the shafts from Cupid's bow found in this stone an invaluable auxiliary, for it revealed the truth or falsity of lover's oaths. Strange to say, however, the emerald, although commonly assigned to Venus, was often regarded as an enemy of sexual passion. So sensitive was the stone believed to be in this respect that Albertus Magnus relates of King Bela of Hungary, who possessed an exceptionally valuable emerald set in a ring, that, when he embraced his wife while wearing this ring on his finger, the stone broke into three parts. (Fol. 55 recto of Ital. MS., 14th Century. Reference is to Bela IV (1235-1270). Lo reo dilugaria bela loqale in di nostri tempi regna.)
Toronto Spider said:
Oh-er!!! Maybe I should rethink this one...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

She has always loved emeralds, and I have previously bought her a bracelet, necklace and ear-rings (not all at the same time, I hasten to add).

However, talking to one of the jewellers it would appear that emeralds are not as popular as rubies and sapphires which is why many shops do not always have a full range of pieces, making my job that bit more difficult. :(

(btw Tor, I knew you weren't making fun - it had occurred to me that the name was a bit of a paradox ;) )

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Spark said:
GC you said u were in chichester have you triedThese People they are in worthing and they make to order there may still be enough time to get one made ;)

Thanks for that, Spark - I had a look at their web-site, and they have some beautiful designs. I might check it out if I am in the area. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
44,743 Posts
I've never been keen on emeralds. Have always thought of them as 'cold'. I reckon that is down to reading The Chronicles of Thomas Covanent at an early age though. As it happens, I think my liking for white gold is down to the same thing.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
bazza said:
I'm after a bracelet for Mrs. Bazza, but I have something quite specific in mind. I can't find it anywhere, but while doing an internet search I found something pretty nice in H. Samuels. So, do I buy that, or what?

In case anyone can help, I want a solid (bangle-type) brushed white gold bracelet, set with 1 or 2 stones (possibly rubover setting) - needs to look simple, yet classy.

The Samuels equivalent I've found is this:
http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/3543773/N/145+124/
which isn't brushed gold, but does look quite nioce, to my untrained eyes.

Oooo - that a nice design, Bazza. Understated and elegant. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Blimey, what with this and the C&H anthology, you really are spoiling Jenny :D

·
Super Moderator
44,743 Posts
Yeah I know, it's quite nice isn't it? Unfortunately I've sine seen a brushed white gold bracelet, and the brushed effect looked really good, so I'm quite set on that now. Except the one I saw had no gems and looked to plain. So I know of two that aren't quite what I'm looking for, and none which actually match my requirements :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
@GC
Even though it makes your job as gift-giver more difficult, take solace in the fact that your wife has very good taste and that she doesn't go for the "common" trends that enslave all the masses. :)

Even though it won't help you now, have you thought about going jewellery shopping in May? Since emeralds are the birthstone for May, you're likely to find a slightly better selection at that time of the year.

@Bazza
There really is no hope for you -- basing your gemstone and jewellery preferences on sci-fi literature. :cheese:

Despite my concerns I mentioned about the bracelet you posted, I agree with GC. It is a nice, stylish piece. Even if it is the only one you can find, I'm sure Jenny would love it. :)
--Toronto

·
Super Moderator
44,743 Posts
Toronto Spider said:
@Bazza
There really is no hope for you
:eek:
I know :eek:
:D

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
No way Pedro !! :(

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For me any gold has to be bought from an Indian goldsmith. Once you get used to the colour of 22ct, 9ct doesn't look like gold anymore (only actually contains 37.5% gold!)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts