Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Would you buy a gift from H Samuels?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking for the perfect birthday gift for my beloved, I have scoured every single jewellers in Chichester and beyond.

However, desperate as I am, I have still not even considered going into H Samuels for the gift. They could well have something that's almost exactly what I am after, but I just can't help thinking it will always be cheap and nasty.

Am I being a snob? :confused:

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Other... as in... from where??????!?!?!?!?!? :confused: :confused:

:p

;)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
GC, mate, if you think there's something in there that's nice and your Mrs will love it, then buy it. No worries.

However. Don't under any circumstances leave the price on, reciept in the box or anything else incriminating..... :tut:

Jeez, sounds like you're ahead of me in the 'What the **** do I buy for people this Christmas" race.... :rolleyes:

;)

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Nope! I've seen better stuff on a fairground stall. It makes Ratner's look like quality!

·
Super Moderator
44,759 Posts
Oooooo. Spooky.
I've got exactly the same problem GC. I'm after a bracelet for Mrs. Bazza, but I have something quite specific in mind. I can't find it anywhere, but while doing an internet search I found something pretty nice in H. Samuels. So, do I buy that, or what?

In case anyone can help, I want a solid (bangle-type) brushed white gold bracelet, set with 1 or 2 stones (possibly rubover setting) - needs to look simple, yet classy.

The Samuels equivalent I've found is this:
http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/detail/R/3543773/N/145+124/
which isn't brushed gold, but does look quite nioce, to my untrained eyes.

·
Super Moderator
44,759 Posts
I have voted other, as specified, and will watch this thread closely.
Perhaps you should do the same as I have and describe exactly what you want, maybe some expert on here can help us both out?

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I'd be very, very cautious buying certain types of jewellery online. You're probably safe with basic gold. After that it becomes a crapshoot.

If you're buying silver, you really should see it in person, and you should check for a hallmark. Precious and semi-precious stones definitely need to be thoroughly eye-balled because that's the only way you can check for flaws, feathers, zoning, windows, and poor cutting. Never buy pearls online (unless say you're buying direct from Mikimoto and the pearls come with a guaranteed grading -- such as AAA+).

When buying something with a stone, you really have to do your homework. Lots of stones are sold as something they aren't. You'll find lots of citrines marketted as "xxx topaz" -- smoky topaz, cognac topaz, golden topaz, etc. I think a lot of blue topaz out in the market is actually tourmaline (or some other stone I'm forgetting the name of at this moment.)

I'm a bit out of my element with rubies, but you have to watch where they originate. Some aren't actually "rubies." Others are lesser quality stones that have had their colour enhanced through radiation treatments. (That's always a telling question to ask a jeweller. Some will deny any stone is ever irradiated, some will say it is industry standard practice, others will say it is done selectively. Honestly, I don't know exactly how common it is. I think falls somewhere between the second and third statement.) [Edit: I just realized I misread what you wrote. I thought you said, "ruby" not "rub over" -- I have no idea what "rub over" is. Are you talking flush mounted or something else?]

Looking at the bracelets, I'd be suspicious about what they actually are. I really don't think you're getting nine carats worth of stones. If I had to guess, I would have said less than half that carat weight. I used to have a pretty good eye for this sort of thing, although I'm out of practice these days (and it's tougher to get a sense just looking at pictures on the Internet).

All that said, if all you want is something pretty that doesn't break the bank, you're probably fine to pick up the odd piece or two from someplace like this online retailer, but if you're really after a special piece find a decent jeweller and trust your eyes and your gut.
--Toronto

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I would only buy from Samuels if I was looking for something cheap and cheerful and not for a special person.

I think jewellery is a really personal thing and says a lot about the person who is giving it, so I would prefer to pay a bit extra to get something really nice.

Unfortunately I reckon Samuels is going the way of Ratners a bit. Much better to go somewhere like Clive Rangers where you know you will get quality and style. ;)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
GC - just go in and check out their stuff. if it is all utter rubbish......... walk away.

I unexpectedly found a stunning white gold necklace for my friend's birthday in Samuels - simple, plain, tasteful. everything else was horrid - but they do sometimes have a piece that you wouldn't expect to find in a jeweller of their quality.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bazza said:
Oooooo. Spooky.
I've got exactly the same problem GC. I'm after a bracelet for Mrs. Bazza, but I have something quite specific in mind. I can't find it anywhere, but while doing an internet search I found something pretty nice in H. Samuels. So, do I buy that, or what?

Well, I was after an 18 carat yellow gold half eternity ring with channel set square-cut emeralds, but nothing really specific :D :p

edit: having looked at H Samuels web-site, they don't actually have anything like what I am after - so I have been let off the hook!!! :lol:

W

·
0 Posts
Debs said:
GC - just go in and check out their stuff. if it is all utter rubbish......... walk away.

I unexpectedly found a stunning white gold necklace for my friend's birthday in Samuels - simple, plain, tasteful. everything else was horrid - but they do sometimes have a piece that you wouldn't expect to find in a jeweller of their quality.
Agreed, I think you need to look at the piece and not where it came from, does it matter so long as it's what you want and the quality looks good?

wrinx

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Wow, I'm really impressed, GC. You really know what you want. Well done. :)

I had never heard of a "half eternity ring" -- it sounded like a oxymoron, but I cheated found a few examples on the Internet. Good luck with your search. The closest I could come up with (in under a minute) was this one, and the emeralds aren't square cut.

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/index.cfm?event=catalogue.showProduct&productID=108
--Toronto

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Toronto Spider said:
Wow, I'm really impressed, GC. You really know what you want. Well done. :)

I had never heard of a "half eternity ring" -- it sounded like a oxymoron, but I cheated found a few examples on the Internet. Good luck with your search. The closest I could come up with (in under a minute) was this one, and the emeralds aren't square cut.

http://www.beaverbrooks.co.uk/index.cfm?event=catalogue.showProduct&productID=108
--Toronto

Cheers for that Tor :cool:

Having visited every jewellery shop in town, trying to describe what I was after, I eventually learnt the jeweller's lingo and narrowed it down to the trade description :p

btw, a "full" eternity ring has stones set all the way round, while a "half" eternity ring has only 5,7 or 9 stone set in it. The ring I am looking for (and the reason it has become such a difficult search) only has emeralds, and no diamonds set in it.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wrinx said:
Agreed, I think you need to look at the piece and not where it came from, does it matter so long as it's what you want and the quality looks good?

wrinx

Ahah! This is exactly what I was driving at. :cool:

So - I am being a snob! :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Wrinx :p ;)

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Green Cloverleaf said:
Cheers for that Tor :cool:

Having visited every jewellery shop in town, trying to describe what I was after, I eventually learnt the jeweller's lingo and narrowed it down to the trade description :p

btw, a "full" eternity ring has stones set all the way round, while a "half" eternity ring has only 5,7 or 9 stone set in it. The ring I am looking for (and the reason it has become such a difficult search) only has emeralds, and no diamonds set in it.
I wasn't making fun of you or of the lingo. It's just that here the same type of ring is called an "anniversary band" and I had never heard the term "half eternity." When I did an Internet search for it, all the hits I got were for U.K. sites (including a description of the full vs. half designation) so I'm betting it's a British thing. ;)

I like the sound of what you are looking for much better than the emerald-diamond-emerald pattern. It sounds much classier (and no you're not a snob ;) :) ). Any reputable jeweller should be able to make exactly what you want. I don't know if you'll have it for Christmas, but it is worth asking them to do a custom piece. It shouldn't be that much extra than a stock item.

W

·
0 Posts
Glad to have helped.....I think!

I've bought stuff from there and didn't realise their "reputation" but I did a lot of research and made sure the piece(s) I was interested in were worth the money and comparable. On both occassions I got excellent deals (a lot of money!), one being half price and a fairly unique piece as well :D

But, have to agree, looking around the shop there was a lot of crap in there!!! Each their own, someone...somewhere must like it :D

wrinx

1 - 20 of 57 Posts