Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to jump on the Alfa-band shortly.

Could anyone suggest whether (given a c£2500 budget) and a heart that says (2.0) TS Veloce.

I go for a facelift '52 plate 1.6 or 1.8 (i've seen a SW and a saloon and don't mind either).

OR

a 99 or 00 2.0TS with leather and all the trimmings and low mileage, provenance (virt. 1 owner) and in a unique colour that i LURV :cool:

The later will leave me nearly £1k to sort / mod and play!

(i have access to an MPV so the 156 is DD plaything for me to get my hands dirty on)

any thoughts much appreciated.

K

·
0 Posts
I'd buy the older one and spend the rest on a holiday but I'm strange!

Personally I think a 1.6 engine is a bit small for a 156 but a 1.8 would be fine and 2.0 ones are great.

If your heart says 2.0 Veloce that's what you should buy. In the past I've settled for cars that weren't exactly what I wanted and I always regretted it.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts

Could anyone suggest whether (given a c£2500 budget) and a heart that says (2.0) TS Veloce.

I go for a facelift '52 plate 1.6 or 1.8 (i've seen a SW and a saloon and don't mind either).

OR

a 99 or 00 2.0TS with leather and all the trimmings and low mileage, provenance (virt. 1 owner) and in a unique colour that i LURV :cool:

(i have access to an MPV so the 156 is DD plaything for me to get my hands dirty on)

go for the facelift 1.8, thats what i have and it's fantastic, i paid £2500 for mine it's on an 02 plate 53,000 and is flawless, and not much slower than the Focus ST170 i just got rid of, in fact you can barely tell the difference, and i think the facelift interiors are much nicer, may just be my personal opinion.

If you look up the specs the differnce in speed between the 1.8 and the 2.0 is barely noticeable, but the 1.8 will be a damn site cheaper to insure

·
Registered
90 Posts
I too have the facelift - a 2003 1.8 with leather, climate, and it is MUCH more modern feeling due to the interior, does anyone else know if anything underneath was changed? I test drove pre and post facelifts. You can also have cruise control, and the info display which brings it all upto date. Mine cost £1800 just over a year ago, and still looks and feels much more valuable than that.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
depends whether your on about the mk1 facelift or the mk2 (new nose and bumpers). i love my 03 1.8 lusso phase 2 mk1. cost me £2900 last jan with 55k, and its been a peach. no issues at all. the odd phantom message, but hey, it must like to talk to me:lol: and a rare colour too:D

cruise, dual zone climate, leather, info centre, BFOW:lol::cool: and it shifts for a 1.8, sounds lovely and gives decent economy. couldnt ask for more:thumbs:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
I too have the facelift - a 2003 1.8 with leather, climate, and it is MUCH more modern feeling due to the interior, does anyone else know if anything underneath was changed? I test drove pre and post facelifts. You can also have cruise control, and the info display which brings it all upto date. Mine cost £1800 just over a year ago, and still looks and feels much more valuable than that.
you got a good bargain there then

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
yeah thats very cheap, almost too cheap:confused:

·
0 Posts

OR

Swap mine for your 968 :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
On the engine front; I used to have a 1.8ts 146 and now have a 2.0ts 146 if you want a fun revvy engine go for the 1.8 but if you prefer one thats a little more laidback go for the 2.0.
Overall I prefer the 1.8 but the 156 is probably heavier than a 146 and that may make a difference.

·
0 Posts
I had the same thoughts when I bought my 166, twinny or V6, went for the V6 because it's a heavier car, now if I could shoehorn a V6 into my 146 that would be fun :)
I think there is a AO member who has!

Here

R

·
0 Posts

OR

The God of All Motoring (WhatCar :rolleyes:) says that build quality improved from '01 onwards. I would take that into account.

Good luck :)

·
0 Posts
The God of All Motoring (WhatCar :rolleyes:) says that build quality inproved from '01 onwards. I would take that into account.

Good luck :)
yeah id second that actually this JTS i have is much better than the 99 V6 in terms of plastic & buttons etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Swap mine for your 968 :thumbs:
Now i'd not thought of that. Let me see....urgh.....urgh......nope.:)

The 968 is a keeper - 240hp, fab chassis and a joy to own and drive (except in the snow)

I'm really after something to have fun and play with that will double up as a daily driver.

Thanks for all your advice. Am going to spend a day travelling and testing shortly.

Nearly bought a new 156 ti a few years ago but then needed 7 seats.

Ideally Veloce 1.8TS SW phase 2 mk1 (i think that's what it's called) but may worhsip at the alter of high wing and go saloon. Decisions decisions...

Can anyone explain the suspension differences and why some Turismo's advertised have the side skirts?

Thanks again.:cool:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Now i'd not thought of that. Let me see....urgh.....urgh......nope.:)

The 968 is a keeper - 240hp, fab chassis and a joy to own and drive (except in the snow)

I'm really after something to have fun and play with that will double up as a daily driver.

Thanks for all your advice. Am going to spend a day travelling and testing shortly.

Nearly bought a new 156 ti a few years ago but then needed 7 seats.

Ideally Veloce 1.8TS SW phase 2 mk1 (i think that's what it's called) but may worhsip at the alter of high wing and go saloon. Decisions decisions...

Can anyone explain the suspension differences and why some Turismo's advertised have the side skirts?

Thanks again.:cool:
skirts were an option on all but the veloce, veloce suspension is lower by about 20mm and stiffer:D just drove my mums today and its such a difference between her veloce and my lusso. in a good way:D

so you want the old shape with the new interior. lovely choice, not that im biased:D and having now driven my mums veloce, id get that:thumbs:

and hers is a 2.0 so got a chance to compare as mine is a 1.8, and mine certainly revs more freely,but hers had more go at the bottom end, but i like revvy engines and the 1.8 is certainly that. the 2.0 felt restricted and less willing

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I thnk you need a 2.0 in a 156...... or a V6
the 1.8 is fine, trust me:D just thrives on revs, so if you like it revvy, its good, the 2.0 is lazy in comparison but has more bottom end pull;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the 1.8 is fine, trust me:D just thrives on revs, so if you like it revvy, its good, the 2.0 is lazy in comparison but has more bottom end pull;)
Thanks for the feedback. Had a Vti Civic a few years back 158bhp VTEC and revved to 8,000+ guess the 1.6 / 1.8 are boradly similar but without the screaming top-end

cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts