Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOMO-Monte-Carlo-Steering-Wheel-320mm-/250814998081?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a65bd2641#ht_2971wt_802

really love the momo Zagato wheel on the SZ, this is vrtually the same.

Wondering if changing the steering wheel is just a straight forward swap to one of these or would you need other parts? Also would removing the driver airbag be an issue for the MOT (or insurance for that matter)?

Finally would it also affect the indicators self returning?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions :)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
How much!! Looks awfully like the Momo wheel on a lot of Mk1 MX5s : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MX-5-Momo-steering-wheel-mark-1-Eunos-/120848099820

Any wheel will fit with the correct boss, Alfa 33 boss apparently fits and has the indicator cancel pokey bits and works with the horn connector too.

Airbag will need a resistor across the connector to fake there being a bag there, otherwise it will throw a fault light.

MOT will be ok if the airbag ecu works ok, insurance may or may not care about the modification.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi there!
First of all, it will fit, and yes, is a very simple job, but:
- You'll need a momo boss kit so you can attach the steering wheel to the steering column. There are no kits for the GTV but some people in this forum say you can use a 147 one. The indicators wont self return but you'll save the horn. I use a universal one and I lost both the horn and the self return (the horn is now a small button and the self return I do it myself)
- Depending on the design of the steering wheel you'll also need a spacer between the hub and the wheel so it doesnt sit too far (judging by the design of your choice you'll surely need it).
- I dont know how MOT works there but im pretty sure that removing an airbag is one of the reasons they'd kill you if you try to pass it. You'll also have the problem of the airbag light on. I would recommend fitting back the original and resetting the airbag light before MOT, is a half an hour job once a year.

I hope I explained it well. I changed my steering wheel not so long ago and I love it. If you can live without self returning indicators and no airbag in exchange you'll get a much nicer grip feel and a fastest steering thanks to the smaller diameter and lesser weight of the wheel. Here you have pics of the boss kit, the spacer and my wheel fitted. If you ever change it post some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Yep it will fail if airbag equipment is obviously removed.. keep the old wheel and put it back on come MOT time..
along with the cat:) these mot's are getting to be hard work..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there!
First of all, it will fit, and yes, is a very simple job, but:
- You'll need a momo boss kit so you can attach the steering wheel to the steering column. There are no kits for the GTV but some people in this forum say you can use a 147 one. The indicators wont self return but you'll save the horn. I use a universal one and I lost both the horn and the self return (the horn is now a small button and the self return I do it myself)
- Depending on the design of the steering wheel you'll also need a spacer between the hub and the wheel so it doesnt sit too far (judging by the design of your choice you'll surely need it).
- I dont know how MOT works there but im pretty sure that removing an airbag is one of the reasons they'd kill you if you try to pass it. You'll also have the problem of the airbag light on. I would recommend fitting back the original and resetting the airbag light before MOT, is a half an hour job once a year.

I hope I explained it well. I changed my steering wheel not so long ago and I love it. If you can live without self returning indicators and no airbag in exchange you'll get a much nicer grip feel and a fastest steering thanks to the smaller diameter and lesser weight of the wheel. Here you have pics of the boss kit, the spacer and my wheel fitted. If you ever change it post some pics.
Thanks Colo, is it possible to fit an Alfa badge to the wheel centre?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How much!! Looks awfully like the Momo wheel on a lot of Mk1 MX5s : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-MX-5-Momo-steering-wheel-mark-1-Eunos-/120848099820

Any wheel will fit with the correct boss, Alfa 33 boss apparently fits and has the indicator cancel pokey bits and works with the horn connector too.

Airbag will need a resistor across the connector to fake there being a bag there, otherwise it will throw a fault light.

MOT will be ok if the airbag ecu works ok, insurance may or may not care about the modification.
this is the original SZ one...think the padded centre makes the difference!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Take the badge off the original steering wheel, it fit's the horn button perfectly.

I dont know about the badge, I didnt want to take it from the original in case I had to put it back. I looked for an Alfa horn button on ebay but they were too expensive and finally I found a Momo one in the same colour as my car from USA for almost nothing.

Nice steering wheel!! Is it the Trecento model? I bought mine cause it was cheap and I wanted to see how hard it was to change it but I'm not a big fan of shiny leather. I love the suede leather finish, soon I'll get one OMP, probably this one OMP Racing - Racing equipments, Karting equipments, Vintages equipments, Offroad equipments, Tuning equipments, OMP Officina sportswear with the 33 boss kit and then I'll start looking for some nice black alcantara buckets. Those will be my interior mods!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts