Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im planning on purchasing an Alfetta GTV and came across this one that has slight rust and a warped bumper bar.

Do you guys believe that fixing the warped bumper bar will be a difficult job?

Cheers everyone.

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Im planning on purchasing an Alfetta GTV and came across this one that has slight rust and a warped bumper bar.

Do you guys believe that fixing the warped bumper bar will be a difficult job?

Cheers everyone.

Saluti, Giordano.
Morning,

I have had this issue but I must admit it wasn't as bad as yours. My bumper just sagged where the indictators are the far ends. To fix the big bow in the middle I am not sure.

To fix the problem at the ends I lightly heated the bumper with a hot air gun (not too much!) and then used a piece of wood underneath and a trollley jack and jacked it up. Jack the ends up so that the bumper curved slighty upward. Don't do too jacking much in one go as it might crack. Leave it like this for a few days and then remove the jack...issue fixed!

It does eventually sag again but thats gravity for you! Otherwise you could have a welder extend the metal bar in the bumper to the left and right and that would support it better. I did think of this but I don't think its possible really given the lights in the bumper.

Peter

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Don't think it would be an easy fix although Peter's suggestions are worth trying.

Right now there are some GTV parts on eBay, pretty sure that some Bumpers are available, maybe the hassle free option for you.

Oops, just noticed your location, the eBay idea probably won't be an option for you.

Maybe someone will be along who has figured out a repair technique.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys for your responses, ill have to have a closer look at it when i got to inspect the car. I just hope I'm not purchasing a project that is going to be a real burden.

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Cheers guys for your responses, ill have to have a closer look at it when i got to inspect the car. I just hope I'm not purchasing a project that is going to be a real burden.

Saluti, Giordano.
It looks very smart in the Pics. :thumbs:

Don't regret buying mine over two years ago despite the Refurb costs going over what I had figured.

Just look out for the Tinworm, particularly on the Front Inner Wings, Front Scuttle near the " A " Pillars, Jacking Points and Floors and around the Front and Rear Screens. Not necessarily a deal breaker but budget any repair costs into the price.

Then buy it and have fun !

PS. You may want to have a look at how my project went.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/the-classic-alfa-romeos/212387-the-gtv6-refurb-begins.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts