Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Wondered if anyone knows if a 156 v6 rad would have the cooling neccesary for a 10 valve 2.4 jtd? I appreciate the inlet/ outlets are not identical, it's really the efficiency comparison I'm interested in. Can anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks
The Captain:thumbs:

G

·
0 Posts
Is it not just a question of core rows and overal dimension Not sure if they are different :rolleyes: I could be wrong but the v6 may be better I dont really know. Have a look on ebay see if they have any specs :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,018 Posts
Petrol engines produce far more heat than Diesels, so yes I'm sure the V6 rad has the capacity to cool a Diesel, but the outlets are in the wrong place, so what is the point of trying, just buy the right rad!

M

·
0 Posts
Is diesel rad not alloy??? 20v one is.. would much rather an alloy rad than the fall to bits copper ones :)

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Would be interested in seeing a diagram of how you plan to route the cooling system. Are you thinking along similar lines to me ie do away with EGR heat exchanger and oil/coolant exchanger and fit 1.9 16v take off plate and oil cooler/pipes?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone,

Thanks very much for the posts; reason for the question is I found a supplier of alloy race rads but they only do ( surprise) the V6 for the 156 ( although I think that rad may also fit other petrol engined 156s). At around £150, they are only slightly more expensive than original jtd rads but would give a useful increase in cooling ability ( tuning, possibly track days etc).....and they look saucy, too, if I'm honest....!:lol:

Cheerio

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Dan!

Hope you're well, yes, thinking of doing a bit of a project based around the cadamuro style front bumper I had from you...going to add a zender front splitter to fix the bottom damage, then modify the front bumper mount for better airflow and squeeze in the biggest fmic I can find ( the wide spaced holes for the front fog lights should mean I can still have lights and fmic), then run ally pipe and maf to a large cone filter below the headlight. Then fit an oil cooler where the old intercooler was, and bracket for a remote oil filter/ thermostat where the old airbox was ( have actually already deleted the egr, cooler and the vac controlled cut off flap!). Did look at the 16 v oil cooler take off, but the corrosion associated with them put me off....think I'd rather use a brand new side take off blanking plate; not too expensive, and plenty around. The alloy race rad would look nice next to the fmic...as far as the pipe work goes I'd either look to get the rad bottom pipe connection altered, or make a hard pipe to connect the original jtd hose... All really aimed at increasing the tuning potential...before I get a remap!

All the best

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
Will you delete the oil cooler/heat exchanger though (that the filter screws onto)? It takes its coolant feed from the EGR heat exchanger and then returns coolant to the rail that runs across the front of the engine. I was thinking to use another thermostat from the Fiat group (possibly one of the TS models) that doesn't have the outflow to the EGR heat exchanger, then I can simply weld up or cap the port on the coolant rail across the front of the engine, thereby removing both heat exchangers in one move.

I'm going to mount my oil cooler in the O/S bumper corner like the 1.9 16v but also like you I'm hesitant to use the 1.9 16v pipes and cooler as they corrode. The 1.9 16v take off plate is great though as it has an inbuilt thermostat.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dan,

That would be a good solution, since those pipes always seem to weep after being disturbed - and are a sod to get to! Any thoughts as to which thermostat you would use? Why not just cap off the outlets on the standard stat? ( thinking out loud). Unfortunately, I can't fit the oil cooler on the O /side ala 16 valve...as its full of the water meth injection kit! Seemed like a good idea at the time! But the pipes won't be all that long, so fairly confident oil pressure should still be ok, current location of the smic will be fine, with a bit of cunning ducting. The 16 valve take off with the thermostat is interesting, but aren't connectors a problem? Other thought was that if the thermostat is in the remote filter mount, then the oil is still filtered, regardless of wether or not the stat to the cooler was open...what do you think? Just a theory :D

Cheerio

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Dan,

Forgot to ask; have you got the new powerflex bushes for the front wishbones, and have you tried the new bushes for the rear track control arms ( the two front bushes) yet?

Cheerio

·
Vendor
45,299 Posts
I've got the new style front upper wishbones fitted - squeak free after around 4 months still so all good there :thumbs:

As far as I know there are no changes to the rear arm bushes? I've got a set that I still haven't fitted yet, I haven't completely settled on my choice of shocks & springs yet so was going to wait until I've made my mind up. I'm tempted to put Bilstein B12 kit on the JTD and move the KW coilovers to my GTA, and make that more of a road/track oriented car.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Dan,

New part nos for these from powerflex? I thought I heard there were some uprated bushes coming out for the trailing arm front bush, the one that so far nobody has catered for. Have seen some with uniball bearings, but worried these may be harsh on the road...?

Don't know about the B12 Bilsteins - but would go for whichever has best bump/ rebound adjustment for a more track day car.

Does that mean your JTD is a track day special!?

Cheerio

1 - 13 of 13 Posts