Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Administrator
47,300 Posts
If you go back in time about 10 years, you (still) can't beat a Panasonic Plasma G10.

This helps, right?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Depends on size, budget, features (if any), picture quality, eco rating etc... It's like asking what's a good car ;-)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
You can't go wrong with LG, Samsung or Sony generally - but I recommend you look for something with HDR though, it makes a huge difference.

I had my eye on a Phillips Ambilight one, as I have the smart bulbs too, but the thought of a phillips user interface made me cringe somewhat.

FYI Currys have some decent deals on....

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I'm looking at a Panasonic. LG tend to look good in the stores but can be over-bright. Sony have a good rep. I wanted to avoid a voice-activated Android TV anyway but I've been hankering after a Panasonic for a number of years. I also like the idea of the Homescreen (Firefox OS based) user interface. I may have to block out the mic if I get a 2018 TV though as even Panasonic have added it on most models.

Current TV is a Toshiba (a good few years old) that has done the job on the whole but it's not a brand leader in truth...

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Two Samsungs and an older LG in the house, all pretty good though the best is the most recent, a 2 yr old Samsung HD ready Smart TV.

I prefer buying something cheaply just after production's discontinued, rather than paying more for one just before it's discontinued. The turnover in models is such that you're unlikely to find the exact model anyone else recommends still on sale.

Was glad to get a Smart TV at the time; not sure I'd bother now. If you have Virgin, they offer iPlayer and Youtube on the Tivo box, and for anything else I plug an HDMI lead into the laptop. This does mean building new furniture to support the laptop close enough to the telly.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Two Samsungs and an older LG in the house, all pretty good though the best is the most recent, a 2 yr old Samsung HD ready Smart TV.

I prefer buying something cheaply just after production's discontinued, rather than paying more for one just before it's discontinued. The turnover in models is such that you're unlikely to find the exact model anyone else recommends still on sale.

Was glad to get a Smart TV at the time; not sure I'd bother now. If you have Virgin, they offer iPlayer and Youtube on the Tivo box, and for anything else I plug an HDMI lead into the laptop. This does mean building new furniture to support the laptop close enough to the telly.
I don't know if the V6 box is better but iPlayer on the V4 is horrendously slow (in fact all the Beeb stuff is...)

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
We have a Digihome 32 inch TV purchased from Currys about 5 years ago....couldn't fault it.

Horses for courses.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
I don't know if the V6 box is better but iPlayer on the V4 is horrendously slow (in fact all the Beeb stuff is...)
No problems at all on my V6. Are we talking about the same thing? There's a connection between the router and the V6 box, so it's the full internet version of iPlayer. I didn't realise you could do this on the V4 box. I thought V4 delivered catch-up through the digital TV service, which is a bit clunky.

·
Registered
38,781 Posts
B&O TVs are good. They come with excellent speakers so don't need a soundbar. You only realise how good they are when you see the ones you get in a hotel room or when you visit somebody else's house.

·
Registered
38,046 Posts
According to “T3”, some techno-freak spend-fest publication, the best ‘value’ 4K tv is the Philips 43PUS6262.

Unless you want to cough £2.5k on OLED HDR or £6K on an LG W8.

I see that mortgage payment is burning a hole in your pocket :p

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I have a 49 inch LG 4K UHD which is brilliant in my own opinion, I had always previously had Sony and grew up in a house where my Dad always had B&O which are lovely design pieces but I don’t believe the price difference justifies the benefits gained. Each to their own though.

·
Registered
38,781 Posts
The latest Beovision , the Eclipse , is based on an LG for the TV bit and indeed it's difficult to justify the price premium which brings a 65" to £13k once you've added the stand. Only problem is the B&O interface including "curtains " on turning on and off is not there.
Still , they'll give you £1800 trade-in for your old telly.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts