Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

Kindly help, based on your experiences. I have a 1.4 TCT Guilietta (2013 model).

ALFA Motorplan and warranty expiring in few months time. I am only allowed to extend by maximum 2 years or until 150 000km

I am currently on 75 000km

Cost of extending= R40 000

It means I will only get to service the car twice under this extention. At 120 000km and 150 000km. And otherwise I'll have "cover" incase something breaks up.

Is it worth it? Safe to keep an Alfa without warranty and motorplan? Extending at R40k, and the car would have depreciated greatly at 150 000km.

The awful customer service and long waiting period for replacement parts also not helpful...

Alfas are nice though

·
Registered
976 Posts
Well its like paying insurance if nothing goes wrong then you 'wasted' the money however if something does go then its worth it.
I am not sure what the 2 services are worth but lets say R3500 each so that leaves R33k for repairs.
I would not extend

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
So R40k can buy you ALOT of work at a good indie garage. I've never owned a G or a TCT so I can't comment on the known problems to worry about but I've recently started using a good indie again and I'm VERY happy with their work and attitude.

Motorplan's are designed to make the manufacturer money more than protect you. They're asking R40k to cover themselves in case of any failures and trust me they've got all the MTBF (Mean time between failure) values for every component in your car. R12k will probably cover two services so where is the rest of that 40k going one has to ask? If your TCT box fails that could be a problem but from what I've seen here the G mechanicals are pretty robust. Maybe make friends with a good indie before you decide.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I don't see the value in that.

If you want to manage your risk, buy a 3rd party warrantee for R4000 or something. It wont cover everything but it will cover the bulk of failures and it doesn't require you to service with the agent, only an RMI accredited workshop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses. I forgot to mention, I have already replaced 'gearbox bearings' and actuator at 60 000km. Fortunately it was covered by the motor plan. This is one of the reasons why I am in panic mode regarding keeping the car out of motor plan.

Unless if you could direct me to the guys you are referring to?

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
If upfront, keep the money. If you're paying premiums until the R40k is settled but have access to credit through other channels, keep the money. I would take the car to a good indy to check everything properly (including flushing and replacing fluids) once the warranty period is done, so I could drive warranty free with some peace of mind.

·
Registered
143 Posts
you could get a quote for extention of motorplan or warranty from company such as liquid capital,will be cheaper and can pay monthly amount/premium instead of lump sum.

·
Registered
276 Posts
3rd party warrantee definitely. I think for your model you might be covered unlimited with some of them. And they're 6-10k instead of that rip off. Just service regularly at rmi approved

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
What exactly is a 3rd party warranty? I also have a 2013 G and my warranty has expired. 45 000kms on odo.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
What exactly is a 3rd party warranty? I also have a 2013 G and my warranty has expired. 45 000kms on odo.
its like mechanical insurance.

so you pay R6k or something and they cover mechanical failures up to a certain value for 2 years or what ever the period may be.

Generally the cover decreases with age/mileage.

I had one, claimed once for an alternator overhaul and no trouble.
They supply you with a booklet of postage paid postcard type things, which you get stamped and filled out when the car goes for service at any RMI approved shop. then you just drop it in the mail.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
no.

Reactions: henniev

·
Registered
217 Posts
I extended my 2013 GMA with 37000km for R12k. Alfa's warranty was actually a lot cheaper than the 3rd party guys.

Yours seems to be quite a big price difference. I'm assuming because it's a tct with more mileage.

Edit: Maintenance plan, not warranty.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I extended my 2013 GMA with 37000km for R12k. Alfa's warranty was actually a lot cheaper than the 3rd party guys.

Yours seems to be quite a big price difference. I'm assuming because it's a tct with more mileage.
Did you extend the warranty, service plan or maintenance plan?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did you extend the warranty, service plan or maintenance plan?
Maintenance plan. Just realised i said warranty in my post. They don't do warranty extensions according to the F&I i spoke to, OP seems to say he was offered one though, so i'm not sure.

The difference between service and maintenance wasn't much, so i went with the maintenance option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts